Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hunting guide accused of using plane to threaten other hunters
http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/ap_alaska/story/7427129p-7337983c.html
The Associated Press

Published: February 7, 2006
Last Modified: February 7, 2006 at 05:18 PM

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) - A registered hunting guide was accused Tuesday of using his plane to threaten other hunters and pilots near Dillingham.

Edward Lamb was arrested and charged in Dillingham Tuesday after an investigation found he had allegedly used his plane to dive-bomb several hunting camps in September.

Charges included ten counts of third-degree assault, two counts of reckless endangerment and four counts of hindering lawful hunting.

Lamb is scheduled to appear Wednesday in Dillingham Court.

From the Police Report
Case number: 05-80799
Type: Assault III X 10, Reckless Endangerment X 2, Hinder Lawful Hunting
X 4, Failure to Salvage Game X 2, Failure to Leave Meat Naturally
Attached to Bone X 1
Text: On 2-7-06, Edward "Byron" Lamb, 37 years of age of Dillingham AK,
was arrested by Dillingham State Troopers. Charges cited in the arrest
warrant included 10 counts of Felony Assault III, two counts of Reckless
Endangerment, four counts of Hindering Lawful Hunting, two counts of
Failure to Salvage All Edible Meat of Big Game, and one count of Failure
to Leave Meat Naturally Attached to the Bone. All of these charges
stemmed from Lamb's conduct as a commercial big game guide in the
Dillingham area in Game Management Unit 17B during the fall 2005
season. It was reported by several hunters that Lamb used his aircraft
to dive at hunters and camps, chase one pilot in the air, drive game
away from hunters, failed to salvage a moose killed by one of his
clients, and boned the legs of a caribou killed by one of his clients.
Lamb was remanded at Dillingham City Jail and was released after he
posted $20,000 bail later the same afternoon.
Author: JCR9 for Trooper Alan Jones
Received and posted Wednesday, February 08, 2006 9:30 AM

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DPhillips
Please keep me updated on what is happening with this case. A friend of mine has a hunt booked with Byron. I will call him tommorrow. Byron was at the Dallas Safari Show.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NE,
I think it is important that we all remember that Byron has been charged NOT convicted yet.

I do not know if the hunters that claimed he buzzed them was another guide or outfitter, or just some hunters that appeared to be where he guides.

The wanton waste issue (not salvaging all the edible meat) is typically something investigated by the troopers and if accused, there must be evidence of that.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out. I've never heard of a bad report on Mr. Lamb, but I don't utilize guides here in Alaska so I'm not really in the loop on that.

I will try to post updates, good or bad.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DPhillips
Thanks

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Milo, that is great advice.

DB

Posts: 1370 | Location: Home but going back. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
milo;

good tip, thanks. i will check that out before i put a deposit down. it never hurts to be thorough.

a few years back i booked a hunt in oregon. i found out that the outfitter was under charges. he told me he had not had his day in court and was not guilty.

you may ask how did it all play out? good question. he pled guilty. so much for my trip, he lost his license as well.

Cold Zero

one of us
posted Hide Post
That a cool site but be very careful! There are a lot of people with the same names in the same town!!!!!.
I typed in my name in my town Dam ( 29 cases under my name ) Robert Johnson in Kenai has at least 4 civil general debt cases, one driving with out a valid operators license and a Divorce!
I guaranty you I have never been sued, lost my drivers license, or divorced!

Robert Johnson

Posts: 599 | Location: Soldotna Alaska | Registered: 05 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know he is not guilty until convicted, but I have witnessed some of that same type of conduct before in another place, and have heard about that type of conduct more than once.

Typically it usually happens on public land where a guide or outfitter has set up operations. With all of the time and money invested in the operation, the outfitter certainly doesn't want complaints from his hunters that the place isn't exclusive. And then you have nonguided hunters and also other guided hunters show up for hunting.

I hope this guy didn't do what he is accused of, but if he did he is a very poor sportsman.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know he is not guilty until convicted, but I have witnessed some of that same type of conduct before in another place, and have heard about that type of conduct more than once.

An extreme thought here but can't one protect themselves from a 'dive bomber'?

I personally know a crop duster who has taken shotgun pellets 3 times over the years and buckshot once. I dont advocate this at all but most all actions do have a consequence and the crop duster was only earning a living. He just got too close to those who were offended.

DB

Posts: 1370 | Location: Home but going back. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a feeling that if a person were to shoot down a plane like this the person would be arrested for at least manslaughter, and probably second degree murder (if the person died) and first degree assault if the person didn't die.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you're referring to the Crop Duster, what he was spraying might be termed as the same as you describe. Bad stuff, too close to homes, one home with an asthmatic child, another with a annual family cookout in progress, etc., etc. We're talking multiple passes by the duster with folks shouting, waving arms and signalling. No charges were filed and he now calls before he sprays. You are responsible for what you do and cannot do it with impunity. In this same area, all spraying is now done via tractor and booms. Were those folks really serious, a shotgun would have been 2nd choice. The buckshot was serious and intended.

Tundra? I dont know about that one. Wasn't there.

DB

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Milo:A good place to look for guide "referrences" in Alaska is the court record search. court records
Excellent resource, when used with care/caution as stated. I just looked up the guide I hunted with in 2002 who at the time seemed to be struggling.

Note the new Court View System is at: http://www.courtrecords.alaska.gov/pa/pa.urd/pamw6500.display

Best bet is to search OLD AND NEW systems by last name and/or various combinations, with and without middle initial and first name as I was able to get different results and found more records.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote