Find
Notify
Tools

Taxidermist in Fairbanks
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted
Does anyone know of a good taxidermist in Fairbanks? Two guys and I are leaving for moose and bear tomorrow and decided yesterday that we would probably like to leave the trophies (we're optomistic) in Fairbanks for mounting. Thanks.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich Hamilton at Browtine Taxidermy in North Pole is probably the best in the area 907-488-4778

Posts: 31 | Location: Interior Alaska | Registered: 12 January 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Alex Supertramp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 20 below:
Rich Hamilton at Browtine Taxidermy in North Pole is probably the best in the area 907-488-4778

No he is the best...in the entire state, bar none. If you're looking to rug the bears though he won't do them. Last year was it for rugs. He'll gladly do a shoulder, pedestal or lifesize for you though.

one of us
posted Hide Post
He might be the best but if he won't do rugs then he's going to lose customers.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Furthest from the truth.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not really. He won't get my business as I will go elsewhere for rugs. See how simple that is?

posted Hide Post
Not really, because there is so little money to be made on rugs to begin with, so the customer either decides to do a shoulder, lifesize or pedestal mount with him or leave. Much more money to be made on these and the taxidermist gets to actually put his touch on something 3D as opposed to a flat, lame rug. If they don't like their options the can walk as there are other people lining up at the door.

See how simple that was???

one of us
Picture of AKJD
posted Hide Post
He has no shortage of customers, and not doing rugs won't change that.

There are a couple other local taxidermist that specialize somewhat and don't do certain kinds of work. They do not run out of work because they are very good at what they do.

Posts: 323 | Location: Fairbanks AK | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I completely understand that as well as the economics behind rugs vs. life size mounts and pedestals. It's not rocket science. I understand why someone would say they won't do rugs anymore because they would rather do whatever else.

My only point is that I won't be calling him to do a "lame" rug and neither will anyone else if they won't do them. Most guys rug their bears and even some of the muskox like this one. Cool or lame? Roll Eyes So, the rug business is going to go somewhere else.

posted Hide Post
He didn't miss your business before, he won't miss it now. Don't think you woulda ever used him anyhow. If you understood the economics behind it then you would understand it was a smart move.

The ox rug is nice, but a shoulder mount or more woulda been better.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dont know who came up with the theory that rugs are bad economics but I know my wife is backlogged with about 300 bears and most need rugged.

Considering rugs are really easy to kick out (they still look good but I'm Bias'ed).

That being said, alot of taxidermist arent doing rugs anymore. Dont know why, but I'm not complaining.

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Economics are the only reason. Why make $10 an hour on Rugs when you can make $40 or more.

I would wholesale out rugs, but I would still take them.

Rugs are great, but not a money maker. Rugs are really great if your a tanner too.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote