Find
Notify
Tools

Black bear hunt questions
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of tonto
posted
If you could go on a black bear hunt for a representative black bear would you choose a spring or a fall bear hunt and why?
Do you think 5 hunting days are enough?
thanks Dean

Posts: 1057 | Location: adirondacks,NY ,USA | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
tonto,

In SE Alaska 5 days is plenty. Bears are more visible in the spring season as they are feeding and rutting along the beaches. 10-20 bears per day in SE would not be unusual. A boat hunt is ideal at that time.

We have an excellent guy there.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
spring you well end up with a much better hide.

Posts: 19430 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depends on where you go in Alaska. the spring is better. the draw back sometimes is the hair is rubbed off , from the winter in the den.
Mark is right S.E is very good and boat hunts produce some nice bears on a regular bases.I think 5 days is ok but 7--10 is better gives more time to be picky.S,E can produce some big bears if time is taken.I have been twice.

Posts: 1457 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BHW
posted Hide Post
Done both and prefer the spring boat hunt. It is a lot more enjoyable and you have other diversions to keep you busy if you are not hunting. Hide is much better if rugging it.

Posts: 261 | Location: Duncan, SC | Registered: 06 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It depends ...

If you're looking for prime hides, spring is great, IF you book early enough so that you're not turning down a lot of bears due to rubbed hides. The weather is nice, and the boat accomodations can include crabbing (in the fall, too) and certain species of salmon.

If you want a lotta fun, think about a fall hunt. The weather is a little rainier, but you'll be hunting more on foot walking the salmon streams. That's a lot of fun, too.

I've hunted both seasons and it's a toss-up for me.

Above comments are regarding SE only.

Posts: 470 | Location: Mountains of Southern New Mexico | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll vote for spring boat hunt. I took a 7 1/2' blacky on a brown bear combination hunt with jimmy rosenbusch a few year ago and had one great time. We only hunted blackys for 2 days, but that was plenty. (this was the hunt that is on the first safari club outdoor station episode w/pamela atwood shooting her bear, but thats a whole nother story) fish for dolly varden, crab, clamming etc. I gotta go back & do it all over again

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that pamela broad drops more money traveling the world each year hunting than a lot of guys make for a year.

must be nice...

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
butchloc/ where did you find the streams with dolly varden trout? i have booked a black bear hunt 1st week in june, 07 probably will hunt on kuiu or kupreaunof island. this will be a 7 day hunt, so i expect we will have plenty of time to fish after we tag out. what were you using as terminal tackle? thanks/ chaz

Posts: 279 | Location: michigan | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
*** BUFF BOARS ***

In the fall , -- or whenever it is Bears
Den-Up for hibernation in your area , --- all bears are fattened up for the long winter ; -- and an average bear will look like training-table linebacker .

Depends on what you're after .

------------ MMCOUGAR .

NRA Benefactor Member
---- 2nd Amend. -- They could have said , " The Right of Such a Militia " ; ----- But they didn't , they said " . . . . . The right of the PEOPLE " .

Posts: 138 | Location: Far Northwest -- North Rockies , - anytime I can . | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote