Find
Notify
Tools

What to do with lots of bears?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted
Those of you that hunt and take bears every year, what do you do with all those bear hides?

How's the bear eating go?

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been selling my bear hides to the local taxidermist.

Black bears in the 100 to 300 lb range are very good eating in wis.

Posts: 19432 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a couple at a local gunshop. Plusi have give some away.

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
I love hunting them, eating them is another story.

We are not allowed to sell them for the most part. Black bear skulls are fine, nothing else though.

I figure if I can take a few a year and help the moose and caribou it's the right thing to do.

When I lived in 26A we only had the white bastards, so I have to tell you I am more than excited to be moving someplace I can actually hunt and shoot the bears.

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Don't know myself. But can they legally be sold after tanning. ?

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
The AG&F laws state that only black bear skulls can be sold.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It depends on what state you are in as to the hides. As to the eating? Spring bears are pretty good. Fall bears usually rank. They have been feeding on rotten fish and carcass from anything they come across including other bears. Anything to pack on the pounds and fat they need for the long winter. What they eat at least to me makes a huge difference in the taste. In my opinion too gamey/strong/fishy in the fall. Of course that will vary from area to area as well so there is no one answer.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
If you know what to do

Bear gall bladders are sought after big time as herbal medicine

Also bear paws are purchase as a delicacy by Chinese chefs

Currently price £4000-£5000 each paw on the table

Posts: 1661 | Location: London | Registered: 14 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
Ps one has to have the right connections to hook this up

An average chef wouldn't know what to do or have the clientele

Posts: 1661 | Location: London | Registered: 14 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
London, yep lots of those guys that sold them ended up breaking big rocks into little rocks in prison.

Illegal in damn near all of North America.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually in unit 16 predator control area, you can sell the green hides of the bears. I haven't looked in all the other pred control areas to see if it is legal in those areas.

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can sell hides from predator control areas. I know I can sell hides and skulls from Unit 12 and 20E.

Posts: 384 | Location: Tok, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote