New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kodiak - Fishin' n huntin'
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Trip planned to fish around Pasagshak Bay around Labor Day and any info you may have on fishin/weather/brown bear that time of year will be much appreciated.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The Metalsmith
posted Hide Post
Shouldn't be snowing around that time, but it will be cold. I don't remember what is running around there in September as it's been a while since I lived there. Always be cautious about the bears and they are around Psagshak, as are buffalo, cows and occasionally some horses. I would recommend if you are going unguided, to bring a firearm. There will be other fisherman around with you but it's always better to be safe than sorry. If you happen to head into town (downtown Kodiak) there are some good places to eat, like Eugenes and King's Diner.

"Molotov Cocktails don't leave fingerprints"
-Dr. Ski

Posts: 579 | Location: Astoria, Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the headsup on the area and the recommendations of good places to eat as we do plan on some time in the "city".

One of Us
Picture of MN Hunter
posted Hide Post
The silvers will be just starting to come into the Pasagshak river by labor day. Dollies are always around. The pinks and the reds will be all done but there will be plenty of old nasty ones in the river.

You said fishing around Pasagshak bay does that imply that you will have access to a boat to go out into the bay?

Also you said fishin n huntin? You can't hunt for brown bear without a guide if your a non-resident. Dear season opens on Aug 1 and there are good opportunities for that if you are willing to climb some of the low mountains around Pasagshak but it will be a physical challenge to get up to the high ground.

Weather is starting to turn to fall fast. Cool nights lots of light rain and some occasional sleet that time of year.

Posts: 245 | Location: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: 07 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your information on the area. Yes, we will have a large boat(ship)and hope to catch big kings and some coho. I have hunted browns in SE Alaska (Sitka area) so am familiar with the guide requirements. Gotta love rain and sleet on a boat! We are starting to have some fun now! Will be a refreshing change vs Labor Day in S. Texas!

One of Us
Picture of MN Hunter
posted Hide Post
If you are boat based out in the bay then you will be in for a coho bonanza. You should be able to get on some kings as well but you might have to go out of the bay for that. I know they catch them just off of Chiniak so they are around but I'm not sure about in the bay. Also should still be plenty of halibut and cod around to catch from the boat. If I had to pick the best time of the year to fish Kodiak it would be early September.

Posts: 245 | Location: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: 07 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is all good news. We will be able to fish out of the bay so perhaps we will get into some big kings as well as the coho. Not so much interested in the halibut this trip as the wives want us to come home with our boxes full of salmon!