Find
Notify
Tools

Big Bear
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TJ
posted
My best friend just shot a 11+ foot bear on the Alaskan Peninsula near Bear Lake. Skull was 29 3/4". Makes it a tie for number 32 in B&C book!
He used a 338 Win. 2 shots from 40 yards. He made 3 trips for a bear bigger than a 10 footer. He got one.
I've got a pic, but my damn scanner is screwed up!
I've shot a bunch of bears, and I guarantee to you, an 11 footer is a big bear!

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TJ, I hope it was a true 11 footer. I'd like to see some pics if you can get your scanner going. If he was guided, well I take that with a grain of salt, some reason guides seem to "lie" about the size to there clients.

It still like a hell of a bear no matter what and if it was 11ft, cant beat that with a stick. sounds like a hell of a trophy. tell him congrats for me.

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
Joel:
The hunter, my friend, has a lot more experience bear hunting than most guides. If he says it's an 11 footer, it's an 11 footer. He is not one to cheat and stretch the hide, neither is the Guide.
The bear was shot near Bear Lake on the Alaskan Peninsula with Bear Lake Lodge.
The pics aren't very good. He was so tired after he shot the bear, he couldn't pick up the head for a decent pic.
The skull measurements tells me it was a big bear.
I've shot a lot of bears and only one in the B&C Awards book. It was a 10'6" bear.
Side note...I hate printer/scanners. If I ever find a good one, that will last more that 6 months, I'll rejoice.

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
Screwed with my scanner. Kinda sorta got it working. I apologize for the poor quality of the pic, best I can do.

one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
I love hunting storys about people with standards, and they hold onto those standards, even of it means going home empty-handed.

Seems your friend paid his dues, and deserved a fine bear.

More pictures please!

Brian

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TJ,
that is a real nice bear. I wasnt trying to insinuate it wasnt, I only asked about the guide thing cuz its weird how some guide's tape measure sometimes miss some numbers and are shorter than the really are.

Once again damn nice bear.

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
BW:
Yea, he paid his dues. Went three times for this bear. Wanted a 10 footer or bigger. Finally got it.
Joel:
No problem, I understand. I'd trust this guy to feed my dog. His numbers don't lie.
He is going to have a full standing mount done. I want to see that!
He is 70 years old and was plum tuckered out when he shot the bear. Pics were not on the top of his agenda I guess. Don't quote me, but I think he wanted to be back at the Lodge drinking an adult beverage!
He has a few more really lousy pics. If I was him, I'd kick the guides butt for not taking more good pics!
I'll try to get some of them for posting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
HUGH HEAD
cheers

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

Stupid people should not breed

DRSS
NRA Life Member
Owner of USOC Adventure TV

Posts: 923 | Location: Phx Az and the Hills of Ohio | Registered: 13 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Who did he go with (outfitter/guide). You said Bear Lake Lodge earlier but I searched for it and it came up as cabin rental.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your friend did a great job. Congratulations!

Let us know later what ammo he used. The .338WM is very popular with Alaska hunters, and most shoot 250-grain Nosler bullets.

Posts: 1103 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
He hunted with Warren Johnson, Don Johnsons son. The lodge is just North of Port Moeller on the Alaskan Peninsula.
I tried "Johnsons Bear Lake Lodge" and got a hit. There was no hunting info on the site. I think Warren is in Kenai for a 100 Hr. on a plane, I'll ask him the name of his hunting site.
The rifle ws a pre 1964 Win. Model 70. 338 Win. Mag. I don't know what bullet he used, I'll ask him. I guarantee it was not a Nosler. He won't use them.
The shot was at 40 yards, across a gully. The bear was laying in the grass. He hit him in the neck, the bullet went through. The bear never got to his feet. The bear turned his head and looked at him. He shot again below the head and the bear died. He said the bear was dead after the first shot, but he wanted to make sure.
They figured the wet hide and skull weighted close to 200#. They put it on a piece of plastic and drug it to the plane.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is the neck shot at this type animal a risky shot vs a shoulder type shot? Not judging just wondering for my own future reference. Damn nice bear and it looks well deserved as well.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful picture! I really like the shape and coloration of the head, nose/ears etc. Most I've seen are one shade, or nearly.

I'm mighty happy for the man.

Do hope to see pictures of this animal when the mount is finished.

Please pass the congrats from me.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote