THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    POW black bear and Sitka - Sept / Oct?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

POW black bear and Sitka - Sept / Oct?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I may have an opportunity to be on POW in early Sept or early October. I know the seasons are open for both black bear and Sitka Blacktails, but I am wondering if the hunting would be any good this early. I have hunted POW a fair bit in the spring, but never in the fall. As I recall, most deer hunting is done late October - November, but I'm not really sure. Any thoughts?
Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PWS
posted Hide Post
Llamapacker,

I don't know if this helps with POW but I spent ten years in Prince William Sound harrassing the blackies and blacktails. Not much different than anywhere else, if you concentrated on food sources, you'd find the black bears pretty easy. What would commonly happen in the Sound would be that the heavy September rains would pull the pink salmon far up into the streams and then flush them back out in about a week or two. The bears would be hitting the fish until then but afterwards, the streams were "a wash". If you could find some heavy berry patches, I'd think you'd find bears adding more weight. Or, perhaps you could find a later run coho or sockeye run.

For the blacktails, again, this is in PWS, generally the nice bucks would stay in the high country until the end of September. By then, frost and/or snow would make the top less than inviting and they'd start hanging out a little lower and revving up for the rut. September was definately my perfered month for hunting both deer and bear - IF you could pick the weather. September was also the heaviest rainfall month. October was just a little later than primetime but often there would be some dry, cool, northerly weather patterns and the first hints of real winter. Never saw very many bears after things started freezing up but later after heavy snows had fallen, the deer bunch up along the beach fringe.

Sorry I don't have any firsthand info on POW. Sounds like it's big enough to have some awesome possibilities but by virtue of it's size, it also has a lot of country to sort through.

Good luck if you go either time.

Posts: 1141 | Location: Kodiak | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don B
posted Hide Post
I was successful early on a goat hunt in 2003, and the guide was good enough to put me into some sitka country on POW. It is one of my most cherished memories, but the rain and terrain was not for the faint of heart. I like the sitka hunting so much, I think I'll try to go back. The hunting in Sept will be high up, with the rut occurring later at sea level. It's a great time, you'll not regret going, although I did have a guide to at least get me into the ball game. I'll likely use him again, and if you PM me, or email we can chat further.
Don

Posts: 218 | Location: Lawrenceville, GA | Registered: 22 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don, PWS,
Thanks for the info. I am familiar with the island from my spring hunts. Yes, the terrrain can be challenging! It is interesting to hear that some good hunting is available in September. For some reason, I thought I had read late October to November was better. Maybe just my memory fading....
I do believe that the hunting can be what you make of it. And it looks like I will be able to give it a go this fall. Thanks for the encouragement.
Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote