Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Question for 458 Win
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Slatts
posted
I hunted 13E (West of Denali Nat'l Park) last summer with a .300 WM and 200gr Trophy Bonded Bearclaws. My guide had about 30+ years of Brown Bear guiding experience. He thought my caliber and bullet choice were more than adequate. Unfortunately I wasn't able to test it, but had a great trip nevertheless.

His contention regarding caliber choice reflects 458's as he thought that the ability to place the shot with the right type of bonded/partition bullet is more important than the bore size. Good thread here.

Posts: 468 | Location: Tejas | Registered: 03 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Slatts, for where you were hunting and the sizes of the bears there, I'd surely agree with you and your guide on your caliber. For the larger Coastal Brownies?? I'd want my .375 H&H. JMO but cold zero said a lot in his post.

There is a black bear outfitter/guide in S.E. Ak. that requires the client to have a min .375 H&H, class gun, I think.

Posts: 1370 | Location: Home but going back. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Slatts,

You hunted 13E (west of Denali NP)?

Where at?

Posts: 22 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 24 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slatts
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Slatts,

You hunted 13E (west of Denali NP)?

Where at?

Sorry my dyslexia is flaring up. We were of course EAST of the park on the Chulitna River, just south of the Summit and worked both sides of Hwy 3.

Posts: 468 | Location: Tejas | Registered: 03 October 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Slatts,

Now, that makes more sense.

Posts: 22 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 24 January 2004Reply With Quote