Picture of JeffP
posted
The only good moose is a live moose...

A solo moose hunter can take care of a moose.Just give
yourself time and don't shoot one where you have a long
pack.A moose = @8-10 pack loads.If you shoot one 1 mile
in, that equals 16-20 miles of packing.1/2 of that with
a stout load.

Shoot one 2 miles in and endure a 32-40 mile marathon.

Bring a strong young nephew...

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You need to be certified (IBEP) to hunt with a bow in the restricted bow hunting areas but not the general areas open to all weapons.

Where abouts are you planning to hunt caribou? Moose? Also your tentative schedule? For the moose hunt someone might be willing to partner with you. They are tough to handle by yourself especially if you are far from camp.

Posts: 23 | Location: Tok Alaska | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I want to do a drop camp or a hunt where you can get some help once the game is down. I am bringing my wife to Alaska next fall on vacation, and she's flying home while I go hunting. I wouldn't need help with Caribou, but moose is something else. I'm 52 and in good shape

Also, I would like to bring my bow as well as rifle. Do you need a bow hunting course to hunt with bow in Alaska. The regs confuse the hell out of me.

Any suggestions?

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Good responses so far. I think in general most hunters vastly underestimate what is required to pack out a moose, and I can think of darn few folks that are truly up to that task solo, and don't think you'll find anyone who's done it once that will ever do it again.

You have to realize that not only are you packing out multiple 100# pound loads, but you are also more then likely doing it over terrain that in no way resembles that of the dekotas. 1/2 mile over muskeg is much more demanding than over solid ground, and a good way to twist or brake an ancle.

Also consider that a remote drop camp is truly remote experience. It's not like if you have a problem you can hike out to a road, and weather conditions can delay your flight out by a few days to upwards of a week.

DIY caribou is not a big deal, solo for moose might be way more then you bargain for. When ADF&G says all meat must be harvested, that is exactly what they mean, and game laws are strictly enforced.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff: I'm just in the planning stage. I've thought of the road access, but I would prefer fly in to get away from the hordes.

As far as stationary or float hunt? I think a float hunt would be a great way to do it. I would have to rent everything in Alaska for that. I'm not discounting a stationary hunt at present. I want to hunt in an area where I can get a 50+ bull.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote