Falling bear injures hunter
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At least he didn't get chewed on too.
I've read where bears always roll down hill when shot. No idea if that's true or not.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
weird.
I have seen deer do the same thing.
I wonder if gravity is a new trend.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I hope the kid will be okay. Must be some reason he couldn't get out of the way.
What is up will come down Wink

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Mine in June of this year rolled downhill and ended up being stopped by a thicket of alders.

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsturm:
quote:

I hope the kid will be okay. Must be some reason he couldn't get out of the way.
What is up will come down Wink

Things can happen pretty fast, he had to be careful with a loaded rifle with one in the chamber after the first shot. Hope he's ok too

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4781 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
I've read where bears always roll down hill when shot. No idea if that's true or not.

Good gawd, what moron gets himself caught under a falling bear? Roll Eyes

Other than your typical Oklahoma moron, I mean.

Either shoot the damn bear again, or get your fat ass out of the way. 2020

Dudes, seriously, ... hunting bears safely ain't rocket science. Whistling

All The Best ...

Posts: 813 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 October 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Hunted bears a bunch. Solo in the cedar swamps of the Adirondacks still hunting big black bears, black and grizzly in the Bob Marshall. The most dangerous thing in the woods is your own rifle. Hard for me to blame the young man. Maybe I've gotten kinder and gentler with age, my friends say it isn't so though ... Smiler

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4781 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
quote:
A.J. Hydell

I could not find any redeeming value in A.J. Hydell's comments. Having lived a very active life it seems quite obvious that a rolling bear and rolling rocks can create an unexpected hazard for a hunter. But I guess I object about the simply negative attitude and following assumptions, and disparaging comments about the person in the story, about a story about a soldier harmed in pursuit of his outdoor hobby. I would hope for a bit more civility to our society.
Best regards,

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A.J. Hydell:
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:

Good gawd, what moron gets himself caught under a falling bear? Roll Eyes

Other than your typical Oklahoma moron , I mean.

Either shoot the damn bear again, or get your fat ass out of the way. 2020

Dudes, seriously, ... hunting bears safely ain't rocket science. Whistling

Nope had to be a texan to be that lucky rotflmo

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This has nearly happened to both my hunting partner and myself in PWS on separate occasions. On one occasion my hunting partner killed a bear up on a steep mountain side from the narrow beach and had to run around dodging the rocks and the bear that literally free fell from several hundred feet above the beach. My experience was with a bear that I shot that ran up the mountain into the trees near the top. Several minutes later after I had packed up my gear to go look for it, the bear came tumbling out of the trees and down the mountain then off a cliff landing a few feet from the water. Had I been on the beach at that spot I would not have thought to look up before it landed on me. We had other instances of bears tumbling down long distances because we hunted a very steep area. This could easily happen in steep country like the Carter Lake area through no fault of the hunter.

Posts: 323 | Location: Anchorage, AK, USA | Registered: 15 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
. This could easily happen in steep country like the Carter Lake area through no fault of the hunter.

In steep terrain it is common for animals to tumble down wards after shot.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
. This could easily happen in steep country like the Carter Lake area through no fault of the hunter.

In steep terrain it is common for animals to tumble down wards after shot.

Especially if there's snow on the ground.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams:

Especially if there's snow on the ground.

Grizz

No snow yet this season. tu2