Find
Notify
Tools

Waders for AK Moose Hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BHW
posted
Going on a Fall Moose Hunt. Need a set of stocking foot waders that will absolutely stand up to the alders and brush of an AK moose hunt. I have a set of Cabelas Drymedal Plus I use for Fly-fishing, but don't think they would last long roaming through the thickets.

Who has field experience with the use of waders under these harsh conditions and what did you use.

Thanks

Posts: 261 | Location: Duncan, SC | Registered: 06 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jim Brainard
posted Hide Post
I guess it kind of depends on where you are going. I was north of Dillingham this past year and only used my wadders to get into and out of the plane. The rest of the time I used my leather boots. In the past 20 or so years I have only used wadders for this reason. I find a good waterproofe leather boot or a Schnee's pack boot is all I need for most hunting in Alaska. Jim

Jim

Posts: 90 | Location: Petersburg, Alaska | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I dunno where you're gonna hunt moose but I sure wouldn't wear chest waders. We take hip boots with us on our hunts but we normally wear knee highs. In camp, it's a low cut, moccasin style rubber shoe.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kingsalmonak
posted Hide Post
wear mine religiously during moose season. You can go anywhere and do about anything in them and stay completely dry. Often times you don't need them but when you do, they are worth their weight in gold. It may not be as necessary in the interior but I like them out here in SW AK, especially on raft trips.

I have worn Simms for the past couple of years and they have held up well. The trade off is that they are a bit noisier than a thin set...

Picture of Big Bore Productions
posted Hide Post
I had a 16 day hunt with John latham in Alaska several years ago. He told me to bring lacrosse ankle fit hip waders. I thought he was crazy but I took them anyway with my regular hunting boots.

Every day we had to cross streams all day long, so the regular boots would have been a bad choice.

I shot a Dall sheep, Caribou and a Moose wearing the waders. I was actually surprised how comfortable they are, they also very durable. The only drawback is they don’t breathe, so take extra socks to change during the day. Also plenty of Moleskin, it’s a life saver.

Main lesson I learned was ‘listen to the outfitter/guide”

Posts: 10 | Location: San Diego, California | Registered: 27 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Second on the Simms waders. I recently did a Peninsula Brown Bear hunt where the outfitter recommended these waders.

I wore the simms G3 guide model stockingfoot ones and the matching boots with the rivertread shoe. We did a mixture of low valley walking through the soggy stuff, and some moderate climbing up the valley sides to get to our glassing points. Very comfortable boots for walking with ample support.

During the course of the hunt we went through some thick brush/alders with no mishaps.

They are not the quietest waders but I find if you get the sizes that more snugly fit your contour it keeps the noise down.

The nice thing is that the waders weigh in at under 4lbs + the boots.

Zimbabwe 1995
Nunavut 2001
Zimbabwe 2005
Alaska 2008
Alaska 2009
Namibia 2012

Posts: 18 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 28 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone use Neos River Trekkers? Go over your hunting boots, whichis a big plus for me since long treks in waders end to chew my fet up.

I think Wiggy's has some over boot deal, but not great reports from people that use them more than a couple of times.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I've always worn lacross hip boots. I can't compare them to anything else because I've been so happy with them I havent bothered to try anything else.

I will say though that I don't like the ankle fit. I got the worst blister of my life because of them and they are so hard to take off and on.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Blisters are my biggest fear with waders. I'll bring plenty of moleskin.

Posts: 13873 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i like my wiggys, they are a light thing that slips on over the top of boots etc. you aren't going to be in water all that much

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote