New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunter orange in Alaska?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is it madatory for big game?? Leaving on the 10th for healy. Woo HOO!

Thanks!

President & CEO
Enter360 Media Group Inc.
http://www.enter360.com
Tactical Marketing for the Shooting Sports Industry

Posts: 244 | Location: Winnipeg, Canada | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
Not that I know of.

But if your coming up here to hunt I would really suggest checking out the hunting regulations first. Smiler

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No it is not. As every where else where accidental shootings take place as moose and caribou are color blind you might want to bring along a camo orange vest or a watchcap.What were you going for in the way of a hunt? Moose? Just remember to always have on you or in your possession some sort of survival equipment, at all times. No given situatuion here is always gonna be the same. Take care and shoot straight

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sheldon,

Don't show up in moose camp with blaze orange anything. Bring camo made of quiet material. This is very important if your guide is calling moose. The moose may come in at 15 yards so you want to be invisible and quiet. You also might want to rewconsider the Nightforce scope. A nice meduim variable in 1.75x6 or 2.5x8 might serve you better. Since ranges could be very close on moose and the guide will not let you shoot at extended ranges on bears if he is good I see no advantage in the big scope.

Regards,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lightning
posted Hide Post
I am with Mark, leave the Night Force at home. I shot my grizz at 30 yds. I wouldn't think the guide would want you shoot either of these BIG animals over 250, maybe 300 yds. And 90% of the time it will be under 200. Good Leupold 3.5x10 or something will serve you much better. There is a good chance you will kill with 100 yds. Good luck and Good hunting!

Posts: 246 | Location: Argyle, TX | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wear at least an orange cap whenever I hunt. In the same year a couple of decades ago, my brother got shot in pennsylvania(survived but a long and extremely painful recuperation) and a co-worker got killed on kalgin island while moose hunting. Neither were wearing any hunter orange and both were mistaken for an animal. I had never worn any orange and I had never seen anyone wearing it in alaska. I got converted very quickly.

Posts: 30 | Location: alaska | Registered: 11 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if not orange and black then use the best of all camo and we have been using this color for yrs is the woolrich red/black jacshirt. Orange, red are the same to an animal. As for expensive camo gear it is a waste of money. Just use some sweatpants and shirt over your clothing if you want just as quiet as this overpriced stuff the "fancy" hunters use.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Sheldon,

Don't show up in moose camp with blaze orange anything.

Why not? When I take my 2 young sons moose hunting with me I make them wear it. I wear a blaze camo pullover as well when they're with me. I have had moose come right in close on many occasions and they couldn't have cared less what I was wearing. The closest was a non-shootable bull less than 30 feet away. The eyes of my 8-year old were as big as pie plates. Hunt late in the season and Mr. Moose has other things on his mind other than those funny looking critters wearing orange. thumb

Posts: 513 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
why not enjoy one of the few places were you can safely and legally not wear orange in the rifle hunting season?

camo-fleece, no orange anything.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope it never happens in my life..I don't even like camo!

Posts: 47 | Location: North Pole Alaska | Registered: 05 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good luck on that hunt.

I would wear a blaze orange hat when hunting there. I would also pack a orange vest. This would be checked out with the guide ahead of time and if he objected I would find another way or not go.

I have had deer walk right up to me while I was wearing blaze orange and then walk past. When they finally got my scent off they went. My long time hunting buddy is 6'3" and wears an all blaze orange hat and a hunting coat that must be 2X and he gets game all of the time.

It's too bad in a way that I want to wear the blaze orange as it does not add to the scene but hunting can be dangerous. Being seen reduces accidents and thats a fact.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys

It's not like I pulled this opinion out of my butt. I hunted moose for 22 years in Alaska. I think you'll find that Sheldon will be hunting where there are very few people let alone other hunters.

Ask Jerry Huffaker who posts here often about hunting moose where I lived. I had him in a head net and full camo. The net result was a 65" bull.

If you guys are hunting off the road system where who knows who you will run into you might want to wear flourescent underwear but out where I was it was not necessary.

Regards,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote