Find
Notify
Tools

Grizzley; Spring vs Fall?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted
Please help me understand pros, cons, advantages, disadvantages of hunting interior Grizzley in the spring vs fall.

Was all set to head to the Wrangells on Wednesday for a 10-day Dall/Grizzley hunt and the plug got pulled. Now we (3 of us) are looking to hunt next year for Grizzley in either Alaska or Canada. I somewhat understand the major differences, Fall, being the coats are starting to thicken up, the snow is starting to fly where as the spring bears are coming out of hibernation, their coats should be thick and luxurious. The weather can play a large part in this as an early melt may precipitate the bears rubbing early, possible ruining the coat's trophy qualities. Also, early or late melt may dictate whether or not the bears are even out of their dens. Probabley plenty of snow on the ground as well.

Am I off in my assessment? Is either better than the other? I see some cost difference between hunts listed on the Cabelas web site in reference to Fall vs Spring. Why? Which produces better success rate? Please point a guy in a decent direction to start researching.

Thanks!

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
You are pretty close to dead on, the best time to hunt bears when hide is concerned is in the spring. Hair will be long and thick but you got to get them before they start to rub. You can get bad weather on either hunt so plan accordingly.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Spring bear weigh much less but have the best coats. Success rates on Spring bear tend to be much lower than fall...so keep that in mind if you book.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote