New
Find
Notify
Tools

back from delta bison hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
i was lucky enough to get a bull buffalo tag this year and went up thur. night to see what we could do with it. i took the whole family mama, matt (6) and katelyn(3). i thought it would be a great first big game hunt as it would be warm in the truck and hopefully the animals would be visible. we arrived and went through the gertsle fields on friday am, we didnt see any. around 10 am we went to meet one of the local landowners who was a great lady, she assigned us a segment of land to hunt with a map. we scouted it out thoroughly and then went to silver fox to get gas. we tried to get into the panaramoic fields that morning, but couldn't. i have a crew cab long bed and was going to get high centered (thus the gerstle fields in the am.) i called the biolgist to get another way in which he told me so, on the way to get gas we did a quick tour of the pan. fields. i then recognized a trail that i went down the week before when i was up for my class. we turned down the road and there they were about 30 buffalo feeding and unaware. i quickly backed up and piled out. the kids and wife could see perfectly from the truck and stayed real quiet. i had to stalk around the woods up a creek and around the edge of the forest about (300 yds). i was still about 225 away and it was going to be tough to get closer as there was nothing between us. i watched for about 10 minutes with the binos trying to look for a definite bull. thats a little tougher than the class!!!! i put all the variables together and picked an animal as he cleared from behind another i let go from a sitting position military style sling with 375 HH with 300 gr tbbc and whacked him right on the shoulder he ran about 30 yds and i shot 3 more times (missed once) and he finally fell over on his own. he was still alive when i got up to him so we shot him again. kelli drove the truck up and the kids were elated they loved it and the whole thing, it was just great. then the lady that let us hunt her land (i called her to free up the land she reserved for us) came over and helped butcher it and then the guy that got the governors tag stopped and helped also. what a great family hunt with a bunch of great people up there in delta. ive got some pics but havent posted before ill try to figure that out. now its off to the butcher, the taxidermist and the car wash jeff

Posts: 111 | Location: eagle river ak | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the buff. How long did it take you to draw? I need to start putting in for that I guess. That's always been such an unusual hunt compared to most of Alaska...you attend class, you drive the fields, use farm equipment to haul it out, etc. Looking forward to the pics.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear you got your Buff. did the land owner charge you a land use fee I know some do and others don't >>><<< Coyote Slayer

Posts: 46 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ive only put in for it about 4 times. i talked to others that have been putting in for 25 yrs or more,including the landowner that i worked with. a lot of the farmers charge a fee if an animal is taken. the arrangement i had was 300 dollars if i took an animal on their land. i happened to get it on public land so no fee was charged. still working on the pics dont have that figured out yet. my wife is the comp. expert i need to put her on that task. jeff

Posts: 111 | Location: eagle river ak | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[url= http://"http://www.hunt101.com/?p=64085&c=532&z=1"]  - [/url]Sorry for the horrible shadows, didnt realize how dark it was hopefully the 35mm will come out better than this, but you get the idea...

[ 10-13-2003, 07:39: Message edited by: alaskadude ]

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
NICE!!

Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All right!!!! [Big Grin] Great job alaskadude !!!! [Big Grin] Those bison are really handsome animals and sounds like your hunt went well. Now its off to buy a larger freezer [Wink] [Eek!] [Wink] yes? Really great that you had some assistance as bison are big rascals - now you won't need to hunt Delta during the winter months either [Mad] [Eek!] [Frown] - KMule

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WAY TO GO!
Hunting bison might just be the ultimate family hunt due to the facts that it takes a family to haul one out and the animal will feed a family for months! [Big Grin] [Wink] [Big Grin]

Yukon Delta,

Any word on Wood Bison being introduced to your neck of the woods?

Best,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote