Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alaska Black Bear Hunt
 Login/Join

posted
This is from a letter from John Cash, describing his hunt.

Here are some photos of my Black Bear hunting trip to Kake, Alaska. The trip was VERY exciting from moment I landing in Juneau. The high forested mountains had snow on top. They dropped right into the Pacific Ocean. I could see Mountain Goats right above Juneau with my binoculars. The flight to Kake was on a small commuter plane. The views were breathtaking. While flying I could see the Humpback Whales spouting water down in the channel and watch their large hump backs as they rolled to dive for food again. The landing strip at Kake is paved but the amenities stop there. There is an outhouse and a shack for a scale and computer. Alaska is wild and untouched.

Hunting was much different than I have experienced in the West, East and in Spain. Water proof rain gear is the first important need. My rifle was wet 18 hours a day. I am glad it is stainless steel and quality scope covers were a necessity. Rain comes and goes from misting to showers with intermittent sunny/cloudy skies. I depended on rubber boots ( calf high ) and ankle waders ( hip high ). I carried a back pack with an emergency overnight survival kit that I assembled. After rain gear and emergency gear my most important tools were three Buck knives, a Buck Zipper, a curved Buck Skinner and a 3" Buck Stockman knife for work around the eyes, nose and ears. Rifle caliber was a learning curve. A 30.06 is plenty to kill a Black Bear in the lower 48. I was told that one must make a upper shoulder shot rendering the Black Bear not able to use the front legs. The advice was sound. It paid off in the end. I used a .338 Winchester Magnum in a Browning X Bolt.. The forest is so thick and cluttered with fallen trees plus a moss covered floor, it renders tracking next to impossible. Black Bear do not bleed through heavy fur and fat. See forest photos. I would suggest not taking a shot unless it is a instant kill shot. Heart Lung shots are a sure way to allow the Bear to disappear. A Black Bear's heart pumps 17 times a minute. He can go a long way with out a heart at 35 MPH.

Our days started at 4:45 in the AM. Sun is up in May at 4:30. We hunted until 9:30 PM non-stop. Sun sets about 9:20. I slept only 5 hours per night with these long hunting days. For our evening meal I had clams that were dug 50 yards from the cabin in the ocean. It took about 20 minutes to get enough clams for all of us. The clams were washed and left in a bucket with sea water during the day. By evening the clams had spit out all the sand and were delicious with fresh butter and some hot sauce.

I got my Bear on the first day at 10:08 AM. near a clearing off a forest log road. The Bear was 151 yards away. I had just sat on a log to eat a granola bar when the bear appeared and stared right at me for 3 minutes. I had the wind in my favor. I did not dare even chew the granola bar as the Bear stared at me. I was drooling and trying to ignore the hard earned treat in my mouth. The Bear turned back to the forest. I moved forward to rest my rifle on my backpack and to my surprise the Bear made a full circle and laid down facing me. I released the safety and shot head on at the lower neck. The bear lurched for the forest . As I chambered another round in the rifle I proceeded with haste but caution toward the point that I last saw the Black Bear. As I came to the spot in the clearing I could see claw marks on the ground where the Bear lurched into the forest. I looked up to see a very thick forest of Sitka Spruce, Yellow and White Cedar trees. No Bear was visible. I started for the forest and to my surprise the Black Bear was below me in a depression in the ground, dead. I approached the bear and touched its head with my rifle barrel. It was dead. I was so excited!

The Black Bear was 6 feet long and 6'6'' across the front shoulders out to the claws. He had some scares on his neck and face from past fights and a broken claw on his left paw. He had been defending turf. The Alaska Game and Fish measured the skull to be 19 and 12/16". Weight was guessed at 350-400 lbs. In the Fall it would be 450-600 lbs.

Where the giant black bears are.

Posts: 9 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 08 August 2012Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Great hunt story, John!

One of Us
Picture of slimtim
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the story.

Tim

Posts: 137 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Glad you got a nice one. Well done!

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote