Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting in early August?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted
I have to be in Anchorage the second week in August and want to bring my wife and daughter up with me. What hunts and in what parts of the state, if any, are available the first couple of weeks in August (deer, caribou)? My wife prefers some basic amenities (a sit-down toilet), so a wilderness hunt would probably not work. However, we don't need or want anything particularly fancy.

My daughter's first day of school is August 14th, so I am tied to the first two weeks. Your suggestions on what and where would be appreciated.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I lived up there a long time and what I would suggest is a lodge fishing trip. Hunting that early is either a alpine Sitka deer hunt or a caibou hunt. I don't think either one would fit your needs.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12869 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While we flew in to a high mt lake on Southern POW or Dall Island for some good Sitka Blacktail hunting. You wife and daughter could stay in a B&B in Ketchikan or a more remote lodge on Prince of Wales, with plenty to do while you hunt.

If your in very good physical we could fly east out of Ketchikan for Mt Goat.

muskegexcursions.com

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies, but my wife and daughter want to hunt as well. What about caribou?

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave,
You could check with some of the boat based outfitters in the Prince William Sound for deer hunting on the islands. You would go ashore each morning and come down in the evening. The deer will be high up, but usually can find an easy way to get up.

You would live on the boat while hunting.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I'd agree with a boat based sitka blacktail hunt, either Prince William Sound or Kodiak. The downside is the deer will still be up high in August, and it's bucks only. Many of the boats are pretty well accomidated, and you also have the option of some great fishing.

Caribou is basically fly out and live in a tent deal, they are very mobile animals and hence you'll need to have a mobile base of operations.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote