Find
Notify
Tools

Back from Kodiak
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted
Just got back from kodiak last friday (got there oct 24) were supposed to be back monday the 7th.

We had 8 or 10 days of beautiful weather and then some real crappy days which gave us an extra week there. We were glad to get back.

There were three of us hunting and we each got our 3 deer. All of them bucks except one doe I shot with my .454 .
My buddy got his bear. It wasn't big but after 24 days (he drew this tag twice) of trying was glad to get one. It will make a nice rug.

We saw four bears total. None in camp Big Grin
One smaller bear the one we got , two medium bears and one big pig of a bear.

The first medium bear I spotted going over the hill 600 yards above our camp. We never saw him again.

The big bear we saw a long ways off late in the day and decided to set up for a spike camp and find him the next day. Which sounded good but we never saw that bear again either.

The next medium bear I spotted about a half mile away coming acroos the mountain and we found a good spot to sit and wait but he never came out. So we went in saw a deer and shot it . The bear saw the whole thing he was only twenty yards away in the alders. He didn't run off till he caught our scent. We were closer to the bear than to the deer and the bear sat right there while during the shot and while we discussed how we should take the deer out of the alders to clean it and how those alders looked just like the ones me and another buddy were in when we jumped two bears at 30 feet. Eeker

The smaller bear we saw three times. One from way off through the spotting scope another time my buddy got 20 yards from it in the river bottom and had to fire a shot to get it to leave. It didn't mind the yelling and rock throwing. Then on the last day of hunting we decided to go up the river bottom again and get a bear even that one. It was fishing for some silver salmon that had collected in one of the only deep pools in the creek.

So all went well for the scheduled part of the hunt with some bad weather days after.

Had a great time. Was a little shell shocked coming home though. When I left the temp was 30's It hasn't been above 0 since I have been back (more like -15 brrr)

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good hunt. Provided one has extra food, I'd rather be weathered out in the woods and get in more hunting, than weathered in and not get out.

Yeah, the weather has taken a turn for the cold, even further South.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote