THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Re: Bear Baiting issue...Say, "Yes to baiting!"

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Bear Baiting issue...Say, "Yes to baiting!"
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ray: Thank you for the information. I recently took the hunter safety course at the Rabbit Creek range here in Anchorage for an up coming hunt in Colorado (a class worth taking even if you are a gray beard like me), and there were posters there featuring the Alaska Outdoor Councel. I will join.

Ovis: I absolutely agree with what you say. I think and I hope that it will be tough for people to change the character of Alaska. This past year I did see a lot of people-who-have-nothing-better to-do out taking names for an anti-baiting campaign here in Anchorage.

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Joe,

I'm all for you. Stand strong and united and prepare for a bitter and sustained campaign. They are many and relentless.

I agree with you in that your biggest problems come from outside, however, all fellow American hunters may become your needed ally so try not to alienate any.

Bill

Posts: 134 | Location: So CA | Registered: 26 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with you about all hunters, boaters, snow mobile users, and general outdoors enthusiasts to be united. The way it has always been in Alaska is that we lag maybe 10 years behind the lower-48 in all issues, and you guys have been warning us because it has already happened to you.

The fact is that in Alaska it's often difficult to fight outside groups, because our Constitution allows for such groups to collect signatures and bring their issues to the ballot. For example, any organization from the lower-48 can have unemployed or Alaska volunteers to collect signatures, and can even pay those folks wages to do such work. That's completely legal in Alaska, why it may not be in some other places. Local groups such as the AOC and several others, sometimes unite against outside groups to fight them at the ballot, but they have not always been successful. See...we have a huge number of greenies and bunny huggers in the largest voters concentration , Anchorage. Then places such as Ketchikan, Juneau, and a few in Fairbanks. You add all those votes against the rural areas voters, and we are outnumbered. That's why we need to organize and unite. For those who can't join groups such as the AOC, you can still visit their web site, and ask for information on the issues that will affect all Alaskans.

Don't forget that Animal right and environmental groups rely on their unity as a group to change the outcome of elections. They may be "minorities," but very influential since they understand what buttons of the human emotions to push. The more divided we are, the easier for groups such as those to attain their goals.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote