Find
Notify
Tools

Brown bear skull size
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Members,

Just curious what would be your guess on the skull size of this Alaskan Peninsula brown bear?
For a lot of guides it’s still difficult to judge the size of a bear, for a lot hunters even harder, appreciate your input.

Thank you,
Roland

Question:
what would be your guess on the skull size?

Choices:
Above 24
Above 26
Above 28

One of Us
posted Hide Post
my guess 19

If your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tuff.

Posts: 396 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 01 January 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Alex Supertramp
posted Hide Post
< 24"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe 22"

Posts: 1457 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had to vote over 24" as that was the lowest choice. I would say under 24. That is not a big Pennisula bear.

Posts: 384 | Location: Tok, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roland, who were you hunting with? IMO, I think that most guides have a pretty good idea how big a bear is. They are not going to be able to judge the skull, but they will be able to tell how big the bear is (6,7,8,9+ footer).

"Take your kid hunting, so you don't have to go hunting for your kid."

Ted Nugent

Posts: 89 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know pictures aren't always the best, but that bear can't be much over 7'. If I was a paying customer on the AK Pennisula, I would be PISSED to shoot anything under an 8' bear and personally for me it would have to be over 9'. That just doesn't look that big and is in my mind a juvenile brown bear.

Posts: 384 | Location: Tok, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if you know when and where it was shot ADFG or troopers will have some record, shouldnt be too hard to find out. i'll guess again 19 + to maybe 22

Posts: 396 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 01 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Members,

The width of the front pad was 7 ½ - the tracks where real big normally a front pad that big is a good indication for a 9 footer.

And yes pictures are deceiving, if I would have presented that bear me sitting behind the bears butt and taken the picture in front of his snout the majority would have thought he was a 10 footer the head would have looked huge.

He was an honest 8.6 and a Skull 24 13/16 he was a good looking bear, a well proportioned mature boar.

I had a good time in Alaska and will go back, the people where nice and courteous, I have no complains two thumbs up for Alaska it is really a lifetime experience the beauty of the landscape is wild and stunning, I sure hope humans keep it this way, so it can hold his name the last frontier.

I am happy with my bear; he will make a nice full mount.
Well maybe next time I might find a 9 or 10 footer who knows.

Thank you all for your input,
Roland

One of Us
posted Hide Post
pic didnt do him any justice, any more pics, what did you shoot him with, glad you had a good hunt

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
............A 7 1/2 inch track equals an 8 1/2 foot bear .,., According to my results .. And the knowledge and experience of Ben Forbes , Jim Harrower and quite a few other registered and master guides ..... An 8 1/2 foot bear is a great trophy ... .. I agree on the close up animal and the far distant hunter picture foolishness .. . Yours is a nice pic of a Happy hunter it appears ....... As to the enviromentalist bullshit F O ... I,m gonna do my best to log er clean and pave er flat ....Biggest problem we have here is too many dsmf,s moveing here and telling us what we can and can,t do .... But I very much hope you come back and kill more bears ...Kill some wolves also please ... Good hunting ... gumboot out..

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
Bottom line is if you are happy with that bear then nothing else matters and it appears to me that you are more than pleased with the end result. Congrats on a great bear and please come back and take a few more!

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

NRA Life Member since 1976
philny1@zoominternet.net
877 485-6270
Visa/MC accepted , plus 3%
We have to save the Earth, only planet with beer!!

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history
when everybody stands around reloading".
Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 665 | Location: Western NY- Steuben County | Registered: 02 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While you are on the subject of judging bears, I'd be curious to know how many would call this one an eight footer.
Take a guess if you like, then I;ll post the measurement.

philny1@zoominternet.net
877 485-6270

Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 665 | Location: Western NY- Steuben County | Registered: 02 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
OK, I'll play. That bear looks to me as if it'd square 6' 6", with a skull of maybe 21.

KG

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The event,

I was tracking this bear for about 5 hours, eventually caught back up to him on a salmon stream, spotted him coming out of the brush at about 130 yards on top of a more or less 20†high bank, he was getting ready to go in the stream, pretty stealthy and fast these bears.

I shot him through both lungs & heart and broke his left shoulder by exit of the bullet. The bear tumbled of the bank in the water, he was spinning around, then came back up and was trying to get back up the bank, I shot him two more times in the spine and it was all over.

Amazing after skinning, I put my hand in the wound of the first shot, the heart was entirely mush. The whole killing was done in less than 10 seconds still after taken heart and lungs out he tried to get away, tough they are.

Rifle: Ed Brown – 375 H&H – Ammo Federal Premium 260 Grain Accubond – 2700 Fps – Nosler Accubond performed flawlessly.

Thank you all for your input,
Roland

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ill vote with kamo on this one

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Phil is that your bear from the fall of '06?

"Take your kid hunting, so you don't have to go hunting for your kid."

Ted Nugent

Posts: 89 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes thats him, wife calls him Boo Boo. First time I've posted picks of him, kinda ashamed of shooting the little guy. Would of rather came home with the tag in my pocket.
I've heard guides brag about their ability to judge a bear in the field.
Question-- What would a reasonable expectation be for a hunter to place on this ability--within a couple inches, six in, a foot, couple feet ???
What do you think??

philny1@zoominternet.net
877 485-6270

Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Come on, guy! Asked for people to guess, and I did. Sooooo, how'd I do?

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kamo Gari:

Well, you are alot closer than the guide I had on that hunt. He called it an eight footer. It measures 54" from nose to tail.

philny1@zoominternet.net
877 485-6270

Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
how wide was the hide ? if it was 140 inches wide then it would square 8 ft . might have looked a little odd out walking around but the guide woulda been rite on

one of us
Picture of BOWHUNR
posted Hide Post
Guess this one.

NEVER BOOK A HUNT WITH JEFF BLAIR AT BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING!

Posts: 636 | Location: Omaha, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philny1:
quote:

Well, you are alot closer than the guide I had on that hunt. He called it an eight footer. It measures 54" from nose to tail.

That's a cub. Was the sow around?

Posts: 409 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BOWHUNR:
Guess this one.

Hmm. I'd say that beauty squared 9' and change, with a 28" noggin. Handsome bear!

Phil, sorry to hear your guide blew the call so badly. I'd not have been at all a happy chappie to walk up to a bear I'd shot on a guide's say-so that had done *that* kind of shrinking.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Guess this one.

That is the kinda bear I've been dreamin' bout.
I'll probably go again.

philny1@zoominternet.net
877 485-6270

Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What? a guide lie to his client or not know his shit. I cant believe that.

My wife is a taxidermist and anytime she hears someone say"my guide said...." she lays it out (green) and gives the person who turned it in a rough size. Shes sick and tired of folks calling her and saying that the bear they received isnt theres. she even puts the rough size on the invoice most of the time.

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Moose-Hunter:
quote:
Originally posted by philny1:
quote:

That's a cub. Was the sow around?

That was my call, no sow around. Imagine it was his first fall without her.
You are right I was not a happy chappie!!

philny1@zoominternet.net
877 485-6270

Thomas Jefferson

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Roland1:
quote:
Guess this one.

BOWHUNR,

Wow, should be between 9.5 & 10 - Congratulation with such a great trophy. Stunning bear.

Thank you for sharing,
Roland

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joel/AK:
What? a guide lie to his client or not know his shit. I cant believe that.

My wife is a taxidermist and anytime she hears someone say"my guide said...." she lays it out (green) and gives the person who turned it in a rough size. Shes sick and tired of folks calling her and saying that the bear they received isnt theres. she even puts the rough size on the invoice most of the time.

Here he is, Wade Renfros guide, ya don't shoot without there permission!!
This was the third day of the hunt. We hunted for another five days and letting him talk on I do beleive this was his first bear hunt. He did mention Wade wanted him to guide a sheep hunt. Upon asking what his experience was with sheep hunting, his response was he had never hunted sheep.
Hunters, beware!! This has to be the routine, sell a hunt , search for a giude. Just a crap shoot.
Check out his web site. The huge brown bear, that not a clients, his father shot that bear. The pretty lady with the huge B&C caribou, thats the wife of a guide he was using thst year. How phoney can ya get!!.
When I posted his response to my trip up in Aug , when he did not meet me. A reimbursement for my travel exspenses was promiseed. Haven't seen a nickel!!
Better people up there to deal with. Went back up and did a sheep hunt with Terry Overly (Pioneer Outfitters), couldn't have been more pleased. No surprises, just as promised
Just trying to save someone else going through what I did!!
Phil

philny1@zoominternet.net
877 485-6270

Thomas Jefferson

one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joel/AK:

Does she put the green measurement or does she figure in for shrinkage on the final rug? Tryin' to remember, I think my blackie shrunk something like 6"-9" from being green to tanned and rugged.

<<MM>>

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Johnny, she just gives a rough size. some of the sizes given to clients are so far off its measured in feet not inches. if its close its no big deal.

Shes had alot of clients (who I think are blind) come in and say they have a 9ft bear (according to the guide) and its maybe a 6 1/2 footer.

Its just one little thing she does to try and cover her ass so when the customer gets his rug/mount, they dont call and say they got the wrong bear.

She will also give a green size to the skull while the person is there.

If the guide drops them off or if she has to pick them up from NAC, etc, she will call the person on the tag right away to make sure its the right bear. Names get mixed up at times so she tries to verify what she gets in.

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
I'm not Jonnny, that's Muskeg, I believe.

Isn't Jonnie down your way?

I've been MM for 1,000+ posts. Cool

I all know is when I asked for a closed mouth, I got an open one. What are you gonna do?

<<MM>>

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My bust, got you mixed up with someone else.

As for you question about the open/closed mouth, I dont understand.

A lesson in irony

one of us
Picture of BOWHUNR
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]
Hmm. I'd say that beauty squared 9' and change, with a 28" noggin. Handsome bear![/QUOTE]

Thanks Kamo and all. Kamo, you were very close. He squared 9' 4" and his skull was just over 27".

Mike

NEVER BOOK A HUNT WITH JEFF BLAIR AT BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING!

Posts: 636 | Location: Omaha, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
I'm green, and dream hard of hunting a bear like that, Mike. Good bloody show. Good news is, it's a dream I know I'll see through before I die. Did you rug him, or full mount?

Thanks,

KG