Find
Notify
Tools

Tackle for Alaska
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of scw
posted
What takle do I need for silver salmon and pike, etc in AK? All the tackle I have is smaller trout sized, but I was told I need 17# line. I found Osprey bait casting reels, rated for 20# line. Is that what I want?

Thanks!

Posts: 281 | Location: Utah | Registered: 24 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HI,

SCW, your post caught my eye, as my two freinds and I are going to the SE in August,last week as the silvers will be in the rivers heavy then, and we want silvers and then a halibut charter also.I got an E-mail back from the charter who we will go with for halibut, he said to have between 8-17 test line,he use 15 test line,Mepps or Bliue fox spinners, french blade #3 #4 #5 #6.He makes them where we are going ,Alaskan Spinner CO.assorted colors, basically you could use a steelhead set-up for the Silvers. Kev

Posts: 1002 | Location: ALASKA, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use 8# and 10# line for coho's in river I fish on. Most any good quality spinning reel will suffice. I prefer 8'-9' steelhead ultra light rods for coho's.

Posts: 1058 | Location: Lodge Grass, MT. Sitka, Bethel, Fort Yukon, Chevak, Skagway, Cantwell and Pt. Hope Alaska | Registered: 24 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't done any salmon fishing for about 15 years now, but this is what I used for salmon up to kings:

1. Salt water spinning reel to hold at least 150 yards of 12 to 17 lbs. monofilament.

2. A graphite, two section, 9' medium action rod such as the IM6 or IM7 sold by Cabela's. Note: Make sure you buy a "stillhead/salmon" rod.

3. The softest available monofilament. I found out that in the very cold water near Homer and such places, soft nylon stretches and is not as brittle as hard nylon.

4. For lures I used Pixies, Spin&Glow type lures with a single hook at the end. I also tied some of my lures, including the following: Streamers (some call them Kenai streamers, I think), Spinn-N-glow, and one made as follows: A section of surgical tubing tied to the low end of a 3-way swivel, a 12-inch 40 lbs leader tied to an end of the swivel, and a salmon hook tied to the end of the leader. The remaining end of the 3-way swivel would be used for the fishing line. The surgical tubing would be used to hold a section of pencil lead.

I also used bait cast reels for salmon fishing, but sometimes the line got badly tangled. However, a good set of a small bait cast reel have the advantage of a smooth drag that can be assisted with your thumb. Also, you may have to "baby" and expensive reel and rod combination, but some of the expensive 9' stillhead/salmon rods are very sensitive and flexible, and you can use lighter weight lines than possible with other rods. The strength and flexibility of a good rod acts like a shock absorber to protect the line. I always had such rods in its case when not being used.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of scw
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the help. I think I will get an 8' medium action Ugly Stick, but haven't decided on the reel.

I think I will go with a reel like this. Price is good on Ebay

Posts: 281 | Location: Utah | Registered: 24 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HI,

I know you will be fine with a ugly stick. I have never used a bait casting reel, I have always used spinning gear. I may try a bait cast now after seeing your pic,I like it,Kev

one of us
posted Hide Post
That reel would be good for halibut fishing, since all you do is let the line sink in the water over the side of the boat. I would not recommend it for casting, which is most often the case with salmon fishing around the Kenai Peninsula. Besides, such a reel on a "salmon" lightweight rod would make the combination extremely unbalanced.

If you can't afford buying the right gear, you may want to consider buying a "salmon combo set" at the local stores in Anchorage or Fairbanks.

Let me give you some ideas about the type of gear and cost I am talking about:

1. On the heavy side reel: Spinning, Shimano ST-5000FH, with a line capacity of 165/14, $139.99 at Cabela's. Or a lighter reel: ST-4000FH with a line capacity of 160/12 (same price).

2. Rod, Steelhead spinning: Cabela's GS1004 (8-15 line weight), or GS1006 (10-20 line weight), $79.99.

As you go up in features, so does the price. For example a G-Loomis salmon rod (STR1141S) costs around $265.00 to $345.00, and a Shimano SA-4000FD (160/12 line cap.) around $249.00. These are the medium prices, since some similar reels and rods cost much more.

The baitcast reels that I used for salmon fishing are similar to a Shimano Curado CU200B (200/8 line cap.), and priced at around $114.00. But again, if the line tangles when a king is running with the hook, the line better break. Worst jet, if your finger gets behind the tangled line when a king runs, it will be painful.
------------
Again, for salmon fishing "salmon/steelhead" rods are the most comfortable and fun to use, and with these you can use lightweight reels and line.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Honestly, line weight depends on how and where you`re fishing. If I`m combat fishing (I think that`s an Alaskan term...you have to experience it to believe it), I`ll use 30 pound line. If it`s not as crowded and you have more time and space to fight a big fish, 20 is fine. Around the Mat-Su region, it`s pretty much combat fishing, unless you have an airplane or a boat.

Posts: 284 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 13 December 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Don't forget your trout rod, as there are lots of lakes brimming with rainbows. I like to use 6# test and a variety of spinners and spoons. I like to use a #2 size, as the smaller spinners seem to catch the babies. Even suprisingly small lakes can hold nice 12-16" rainbows.

I'd say a medium to medium heavy rod and a larger sized spinning real would be a good combo. Don't try to stuff to heavy of a line on too small of a reel, been there, done that, don't do it! I'd also suggest slightly heavier line, 20# test. When your fishing in the rivers, the line takes a beating on the rocks.

I like baitcasting reals for use on boats, but haven't gotten the knack of casting with them.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use an 8 1/2 foot Lamniglass heavy action rod and an Ambassador 6500C bait casting reel for Kings and Silvers.
For Reds on the Kenai and Russian, I use fly gear.

one of us
posted Hide Post
HI,

Hoss101, what are using with line weight,12?,and on that set-up how is it for rains,maybe to big for cutthroats,Kev

one of us
posted Hide Post
Your choice of baitcasting reel is fine (assuming it holds 200 yds of 20# test, which is about what it looks like), but you do need to have some experience with baitcasters and know how to cast one if you are going to be doing anything other than trolling. I use Garcia Ambassaduer 6500Cs for all salmon species and pike and the 7000s (with 50# Tufline) for halibut, and lingcod. 20# test is farly standard for salmon, though you could get by with less. I use Trilene Big Game for about the best combination of price and abrasion resistence. Maxima Chameleon is good, but more expensive and more prone to setting up into memory curls on your reel over time. Standard rod would be a graphite 8'6" salmon/steelhead rod such as Lamiglas Kenai Special. This set up is good for most salmon fishing applications you will run into. I have a mounted 73# king salmon and tail of a 245# halibut on my wall caught with this set up, so I know it works.

Posts: 323 | Location: Anchorage, AK, USA | Registered: 15 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kev - I use the lamiglas G1314-T "Kenai Special" rated for line weight 12-25 Lb. test, length of 8'6" - I prefer to use a lighter line on this rod as I prefer to break line as opposed to breaking the rod. Teamed up with a Abu Garcia ambassadeur 6500-C3 bait caster, this combo is capable of casting nicely. The key is to practice on a regular basis with a bait caster; if you don't practice, you can get some nasty "bird nests". This combination is very common here in southcentral Alaska, courtesy of Longs Drugs and Payless (may they rest in peace, they sure had some good prices on fishing gear) - KMule

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hoss101 - great combo you got there!!

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shane, I will just start out by saying I went all through school with Gary Loomis whom started Lamiglass and then on to G.Loomis, I am a die hard bait caster and have several custom rods built by Gary for steelhead and salmon.
When I was fishing up at King Salmon, I took the following combo's and they served me very well.

1. Lamiglas #593 8' with Shimano 201SG w/12lb test

2. G Loomis ST 1024 9' w/ Shimano 251SG w15lb test

3. G Loomis SA 1094 10.5' w Ambass 5001C w/20lb test

4. G Loomis Custom 1004 10.5" Tarpon fly blank w/Shimano Magnumlite 2001 w/8lb test

5. G Loomis Custom 1004 12.5' Tarpon fly blank w/Shimano Magnumlite w/ 8lb test

All of these combo's worked very well and the last two were tried even on the big kings, quite the fight on light gear but it was fun. We were lucky as we had a place furnished to us along with the use of a sled for the entire two weeks each July.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HI,

I am going to Alaska in August and I appreciate all the information I see here as I plan on fishing until I can no longer hold up my arms. I see alot of Alaskans here and it seems they all like the bait cast reels?, I am just wondering why, and the + over say a spin reel?,Kev

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kev, I have always preferred levelwinds as they are much smoother and the drag systems is first rate when dealing with large fish. I have also used a couple of noodle rods with spinning outfits with very good results. Both will work, just depends on which you prefer.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to use nothing but spinning gear. After my first try with casting gear, I was hooked. Because of the reel being on top, you seem to have better leverage for fighting the fish. Also, the drag system seems to be better and give you much more control than a spinning reel. These are not facts, just my opinion. Try it, you'll like it once you learn how to prevent backlash. The easiest way to do this is to adjust the spool (with the exact tackle you will be fishing with) with the rod pointed out at 90 degrees, and the tackle all the way up against the rod tip, release the spool and adjust it so that the weight falls to the floor and the spool stops. This gives you enough freedom to get decent casts, but not enough freewheel to get a horrible birdsnest if you mess up. Once you're more confident, you can loosen things up a bit and get longer casts (not that they're always needed). Good luck!

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I still haven't switched over to bait casters, yet, but another advantage is the lack of line twist. I've heard that the line twist imposed by a spinning reel weakens the line to some degree.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ive used a baitcaster since I moved here years ago. I use the same setups for all salmon. If the fish are their I always get em. Not braggin its just that fishin is what I do all summer. I fish to fill the fridge. I use an 8' Medium Heavy or Medium Ugly Stick and a Penn 965 or 955 both of my setups have 80 lb tigerbraid on em. I dont worry about em getting away or horsen too much if the fishing hole is crowded. I can also cast very far with this rig, but most of my fish are caught flippin. Hope this helps. Scott

Posts: 19 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 05 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Alaskan1911, Hell. why use a rod and reel, why not just get a damn net I do understand the part about fillin the freezer though.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dip netting is fun also!

posted Hide Post
Net, spear, whatever! LOL I live to hunt and shoot. But I live off of a lot of fish! I just dont have patients for the people fishing near me with light tackle that want to FIGHT the fish for 15 min and no one else gets to fish. I get in and get out. I caught my limits of 5 kings last year in one week and a max of 2 hours a day. 5 kings makes a lot of meals. As for silvers once the run starts I almost always limit out each time I go. If your in remote Alaska fishing for fun take your light stuff. If your fishing near a bunch of us who need to fill the freezer spare us the frustration and get some heavy stuff. Just my opinion LOL!

Posts: 19 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 05 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did almost no sportfishing for nearly 15 years in Alaska. The dipnetting, set lines, set nets, and snagging filled the Mason jars and freezer quite effectively, and still left time for hunting and honey-dos.

My "personal use" halibut and rockfish activity is conducted with a super-heavy-duty baitcaster for the halibut, and a heavy duty spinning outfit for the rockfish.

Just a couple of years ago I rediscovered freshwater sportfishing. That was because I can do it in October and early November, when little else is going on (except grouse or bunny hunting), and THE CROWDS ARE LONG GONE.

I may be dense, but it just ain't sportfishing if I've gotta do the combat scene.

This new sportfishing activity is conducted with a light/medium spinning outfit that I've had since I was a boy (medium weight Eagle Claw Trailmaster rod purchased in the late 1960's).

I've never been an active flyfisherman (even though I earned my flyfishing merit badge as a Boy Scout as a boy), but this renewed sportfishing activity has me thinking on it.

Posts: 130 | Location: Palmer, AK | Registered: 10 November 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Like I said I think thats when the combat scene isnt going on. I spend all my spare time after the beginning of August hunting, whether for moose, caribou, sheep, bear or goat. When I have the time to fish is when everyone else is out doing it. So thats my predictament. Maybe thats why I dont enjoy it as much?

one of us
posted Hide Post
That's what happened to me, 1911. I got tired of combat fishing QUICK.

The first year ADFG opened moose season statewide in late August instead of Sept. 1, I wasn't too excited, because I like hunting the late season for a number of reasons. I just happened to to to Chitina alone dipnetting on August 17th because I still needed some salmon.

The place was a ghost town. I camped at Haley Creek, and didn't see a soul for 5 days, except a couple parties floating down the Copper River. The fishing was great. It was my best ever trip to Chitina.

I also learned a lesson: find productive times to go when everybody else can't, or as they participate in the new fad.

Or (like I've learned recently) when they think the game is over, when it is really just getting good.

Posts: 130 | Location: Palmer, AK | Registered: 10 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have gone to Chitina to net a few salmon by the end of August. One time I wasted to see if I could catch a few "dog" salmon I wanted to place in the smoker, but even that late the reds were running. There were two guys out there in a truck, and I had an '83 Honda Accord hatch back. The guys were parked about 50 yards from me, on the gravel of O'Bryan Cr., while I parked next to O'Bryan. I was sleep in my car, my head towards the trunk's door. I was on the folded back seat, with my legs on the folded passenger's seat. Early in the morning, something heavy pushed my car down, so I lifted my head out of the sleeping bag, and in the darkness I could see a bear with it's front paws on the hood sniffing the net I had left on the car's rack. I jumped out of my sleeping bag, and the bear calmly walked away across O'Bryan. I was a little shaky, however.
-----
When I want salmon I go to Chitina, but when I want to have fun salmon fishing I use a rod and reel and lightweight line. For kings I don't use a line heavier than 20 pounds. In fact, a 12-pound line is plenty for kings as long as you get away from combat fishing. The key is to use long and flexible graphite rods designed for landing large fish with lightweight line.

Lamiglass are too expensive for my type of fishing, so I use Cabela's IM6, IM7, Eagle, or some of the Fenwick rods. In my case, I use "salmon/steeelhead" rods, from 9' to 10' in length (for about 20-pound line). For lighter line, I use an "European predator" rod. These rods are over 10' long, and can be used for surf fishing and over 200 yards of lightweight line.

But regardless of what rod I use, the reel should not throw the rod out of balance. A heavy reel can do that, but some of the medium priced reels I listed above have over 5 ball bearings, resist rust (salt water), have very smooth drag, and are lightweight.