New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big Moose
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm looking at two options, hunting out towards Aniak, or east into the Wrangell mountains. For big moose which do you feel is better?

Posts: 13873 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would go either with Phil Shoemaker or with the HuntAlaska outfit that goes up the Koyukuk or north of Fairbanks.

Overly's are good folks and if you want the packtrip then there you go.
Aniak has some good moose and they are starting to come back but the bears ate the living daylights out of the calf moose out there.

They get some big bruisers in Western Alaska so I might look there as well.

I don't want to shoot your choices down. They are decent but if I wanted to do a once in a lifetime moose hunt then I would pay Phil go out to the Pennisula and knock off one of them ginormous monsters.

Just my take and your dollar.

sincerely,
Thomas

Thomas Kennedy

Posts: 122 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 08 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Isn't there bigger moose on the average in Siberia?

I saw that 82 incher that was got out towards sleeping lady after it was on the wall.

It seems to me that the further out you get (so you need a guide) the bigger the bulls. Here along the upper Yukon, I see a few in low 60's every season. Anywhere near people, I never see the huge bulls. Near Indian village, they hunt all year long, pretty poor hunting.

In rural areas, everybody has subsistence permits, so you have to get away from people to find the nice bulls. We shoot more 40-low 50's than anything, fresh meat is a good thing you know.

Here's a 56 my neighbor got last fall. He usually gets his moose and said this one was the biggest one he had gotten in 15 years, so you see: have to get isolated.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Top is a double paddle about 60" and the bottom is a 64" bull.

Here are a couple that were shot at Phil Shoemakers a couple of years ago.

I tend to use more than enough gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was a teacher in Nulato for five years. I took a moose over 60 inches three of those years. This was before Koyukuk was a draw. Now it is a registration hunt with trophy destruction and I have heard many stories about 70 inch moose sawed in half.

The area of interest in Western Alaska might be on the Seward Penisula near Koyuk or the rivers that flow into Selawik Lake. I saw large moose with filled out antlers that must of been near 80 inches from the air near the Kobuk Valley National Sand Dunes Monument. Something about the minerals and the genetics creates huge freaks.

Shoemaker doesn't guide huge number of moose hunters but every one that I see associated with his outfit has the same grin as a bad boy on prom night.

Sincerely,
Thomas

Thomas Kennedy

Posts: 122 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 08 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is the Brooks Range good for trophy moose?

One of Us
posted Hide Post

heres a 65 i killed on a self guided on the kobuk a few yrs ago

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is a registration hunt with trophy destruction?

Posts: 1102 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
You can find big moose in any part of the state but according to AK F&G the moose in the souther areas of the state tend to grow faster and reach the 60" mark a couple fo years younger than those in the interior - so ultimately reach the largest size if they live long enough.

Pick an area you want to hunt and go and enjoy yourself.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4206 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seen some hogs come out of the Koyukuk. One gent in our hunting party shot two bulls that were both in the low 70's. First one was in 2005 then the second was 2007. One made the book.
A lady in our group shot one that was 69 wide (3 years ago I think) but it placed somewhere about 115th in the all time list when it was scored.
If you can get a permit for the Koyukuk and 3 day slough has enough water to get into that is PRIME area.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eny:
What is a registration hunt with trophy destruction?

You register to hunt and can shoot any bull you see but one palm has to be cut into half and that half has to be surrended to F&G when you reach the check point as you are leaving the area.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The glory days of the Wrangell Mountains is pretty much gone. Lorraine Alice took a huge moose out of the Wrangell's many years ago, it used to be number 2 in B&C. I am sure there are many there but it has been hit hard for many years and much of it is a park so no hunting if you don't live there. The Alaska Peninsula or Western Alaska is big moose country. But, as Brown Bear said they can show up any where. Most of the Koyukuk is permit draw. I took a beautiful 62.5 inch bull about a 170 miles up the Koyukuk in 2007 and a friend of my son-in-law took a 70 inch moose up there in 2006. A friend of mine and his uncle flew to the West side of Cook Inlet a few years ago and they shot a B&C moose. There are only so many 70 inch moose running around and putting one in B&C is not easy. A friend of mine shot a 70 inch B&C bull with double palms on both sides and he shot it on his first trip to an area me and my family and friends had taken 14 moose out of in 10 years. I have never seen one over 50 inches in that area, go figure. Moose antlers come in many shapes and sizes and spread ain't everything. Lots of points, big paddles and big palms with several brow tines on a 60 inch moose is a real trophy. The 53 inch bull my friend took this year from the Koyukuk is a much better looking rack then the 57 inch bull my buddy shot out of my moose camp in 2006. Many big moose are taken each year because some one is flying the area, hits the GPS and relays the info. Not my idea of hunting but it happens all the time in Alaska. Maybe I would feel different if I flew a plane...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've never heard of trophy destruction hunts. What is the reasoning behind it? Is that something I need to ask about, or is it clearly defined. I have no interest in hunting if the trophy gets destroyed coming out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone know which Outfitters took the bigger Bulls last season? How about some current info'.

I know for example George Siavalis used to take big bulls, don't know if that is still the case.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
I've never heard of trophy destruction hunts. What is the reasoning behind it? Is that something I need to ask about, or is it clearly defined. I have no interest in hunting if the trophy gets destroyed coming out.

It isnt considered a trophy destruction hunt. If you dont get a permit it is considered a subsistence hunt. That is why they require you to cut the antler.
First off, I do not agree with F&G reasoning at all. But I will say it is nice to go into an area to hunt moose and score even if the antlers have to be destroyed. Many Alaskans have huge racks sitting in there yards that are nothing more than ornaments.

Took my son to the Koyukuk last year and he shot his first moose along with his first black bear. We have the hunt on video and antlers make poor soup.

One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
As Snowwolfe explained, it is designed to discourage hunters who have not been drawn by lottery to hunt that specific area; they can’t just say no hunting w/o a permit, so they require you to cut the antlers to destroy its trophy value; they are trying to protect some “trophy” areas

Jim

fur, feathers, & meat in the freezersalute
"Pass it on to your kids"

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The deal is done. I'm going to the Wrangells with Kelly Vrem.

I have no desire for a full shoulder mount. Which looks best, a leather covered panel mount, or a European mount?

My next question is, where do you stay in Anchorage? Looks to me like I might overnight on the way in. Close to the airport works for me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know where you will be, but about 8 years back; wife and I were teachers at an Indian Village 40 miles east of Tok. We spent every weekend that winter riding snowmachine all over that country out Nabesna Road. There was a lodge (Sportsman's Paradise, Doug Fredricks, super good guy) who had cabins further in and we would ride in 100 miles or so in all directions. Pretty nice country and the feds have their hands full trying to keep everybody outta their Park, in other words; the locals & snowmachiners from Anchorage ignore any rules the feds even think about. About 6-7 years back we were offered teaching slots at school out that road, wife didn't want to go; ended up on the Yukon; somewhat regretted not going.

Decent moose population (compared to the upper Yukon), see lots of sheep, wolves following caribou migration, and hear them every night. You'll enjoy the hunt and using a guide is the only way to go unless you know or have hunted the area before. Access is the game. I've done a couple cheap fly in drop offs over the years, always got moose but no monsters. The guides do quite a bit of flying around; they know where the big bulls are; their bread & butter.

Here are a couple of picts from Jacksina Glacier, Copper & Tanada Lake area. Read the book "Wind On The Water" You'll have a good time there. Once you spend some time in that country, you realize why it needs protected. Only problem is our politicals & government have their hands out. They will close down lodges that have been in families 75 years in the name of the environment and then allow huge tour companies to build motels that bus hundreds in; got to watch them feds awful close & ignore whatever they try telling ya.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great pictures! I must know you as I was a teacher in Northway at that time! Thanks for sharing!

Posts: 384 | Location: Tok, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Northway, I suppose I'm talking to the Big "D"?? Hope you're still killin like you use to. You know the wife & I, stuck up at the border on the river but accustomed to life here now. Kids are away at school, kinda quiet around the place; hell getting old you know. Wife said there was 4-5 openings down your way but if we ever leave Eagle, it will be to get closer to the kids; so the wife tells me. I have a few friends who live out Chena Springs Road in Fbnks, but a little too crowded; we've turned down a few slots in that way over the last few years. Every time I get into town, stop at light, look at all the people in their cars, they look back at me, nobody knows each other; can't live that way so here we stay put, ha.

We might try another village in a year or so, spend summers in Eagle, we talk about it, far as it ever goes.

Been getting into hunting up on the summit, shooting down & across canyons long ways off. Retired the 7 mag and the new tool is 30-378.

You still playing around with the wolves?

I'll have the wifey bring you down box of tatoes at in-service nx fall; getting ready to put in 400 lb of yukon golds. I even got the Indians to put in a couple hundred lb of seed in one of my extra patches. They ain't big at growing much, but always come down to dig them. Now if I could get them to lay off on the cows some; fat chance.

Hey, don't mean to get off track; good hearing from ya.

One of Us
Picture of PWS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ak Guy:
Moose antlers come in many shapes and sizes and spread ain't everything. Lots of points, big paddles and big palms with several brow tines on a 60 inch moose is a real trophy.

Pretty much nails it!

Posts: 1142 | Location: Kodiak | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zhurh,

Nope, not the big "D", MC, but he is working here in Tok now also. I'll give him your message though.

Posts: 384 | Location: Tok, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I received the recommended equipment list for my September hunt in the Wrangells. It lists fleece-lined insulated pacs. How important are they? This will be a one-time use, and I hate to go the expense.

I have insulated hunting boots.

One of Us
Picture of Vanderhoef
posted Hide Post
Buy the boots!!! Too much money in the trip to not buy a $200 pair of Schnees or Whites (maybe $300 by now).

Lived up there for a long time and leather hunting boots only work in the summer or for church IMO.

Good luck!
Scott

"....but to protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not of soundness of heart."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 466 | Location: Just west of Cleo, TX | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We sometimes get our first snow in Sept, but usually not until October. I have seen it minus 20 second week of October. I never go out late sept with anything more than insulated leather boots; save the pacs for winter. Actually, around the 18th of Sept; I'm still in super light boots & carharts.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That is some awesome looking country to explore!
Thanks Zhurh

Posts: 590 | Location: Georgia pine country | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Zhurh

My outfitter agrees with you. No pacs.

One of Us
Picture of Vanderhoef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Zhurh

My outfitter agrees with you. No pacs.

Didn't the equipment list come from your outfitter? If he recommends them then I'd take them. Maybe it's just me (my feet get cold easily) but seeing as how you're from down under you might find that your feet aren't as accustomed to the climate as Zhurh's. I don't mind suffering but if my feet are cold or uncomfortable then I'm toast. Just my .02 cents...

Whack a big 'un!!

Regards,
Scott

"....but to protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not of soundness of heart."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 466 | Location: Just west of Cleo, TX | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I actually got two equipment lists; the first from the booking agent and then one from the outfitter. The booking agent list had the pacs.

I'm like you, I hate cold feet, but I'm also a tight-wad. I hate to buy pacs to wear once.

Hunting in cold weather is uncommon for me. Everywhere I normally hunt is hot, dry, weather, so that may be a factor. (I hunted sheep in the Northwest Territories in September some years ago and my feet were fine in regular insulated leather boots.)

I think the bigger concern for me is "wet". I'm going to have waders, but the thought of being cold, and wet, never appeals to me.

Blisters are another issue with feet that I can't stand. I'll have plenty of moleskin. I nearly ruined an elk hunt once by developing severe blisters on both heels.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What ya need to do is chase caribou & wolves off snowmachine when it's minus 25. We don't hunt much once it gets colder than that We always have a few weeks of minus 60 F after xmas. I had a dogteam for over 15 years, I'd run them down to 70 mile and back at minus 55; never got cold, but my eyelids kept freezing shut. Had to bite on mitten and chip ice off my eyelids.

I don't get cold, but if you go through the ice, you are asking for problems quick.

We had a 7.9 shaker one year. The land level changes but you can't see it until when it freezes up. I went thru overflow on the Slana River. Kept the front skis up on ice and chugged to shore, up to almost my waist in water. Then I rode 9 miles to the village, was frose hard. Had to stand in front of woodburner to get my clothes off. I wouldn't have made it 20 miles though.

My feet never get cold unless I stop moving.

One of Us
Picture of Vanderhoef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zhurh:
My feet never get cold unless I stop moving.

'spose you're wearing bunny boots whenever it gets real chilly?

During my years in Bethel I worked outside year-round and even without socks (only got to do laundry and shower once a week or so) those ridiculous things kept me toasty. Best cold weather boots known to man IMO.

Regards,
Scott

Theodore Roosevelt

One of Us
Picture of Vanderhoef
posted Hide Post
quote:
I actually got two equipment lists; the first from the booking agent and then one from the outfitter. The booking agent list had the pacs.

I'm like you, I hate cold feet, but I'm also a tight-wad. I hate to buy pacs to wear once.

Hunting in cold weather is uncommon for me. Everywhere I normally hunt is hot, dry, weather, so that may be a factor. (I hunted sheep in the Northwest Territories in September some years ago and my feet were fine in regular insulated leather boots.)

I think the bigger concern for me is "wet". I'm going to have waders, but the thought of being cold, and wet, never appeals to me.

Blisters are another issue with feet that I can't stand. I'll have plenty of moleskin. I nearly ruined an elk hunt once by developing severe blisters on both heels.

In terms of equipment, I spend far more time worrying about my feet than anything else on a trip. I just flat hate having sore/cold feet. My recommendation for the pacs reflects the fact that I'd always rather be over-prepared, but it sounds like you're doing your homework and I imagine you'll make the right choice.
Good luck and have fun!!

Regards,
Scott

Theodore Roosevelt

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Go with the leather covered panel. Much nicer than European.

If there is going to be a lot of water involved like floating rivers I would consider buying oversized leather boots or snow boots and stocking foot waders.

I find that if I am hunting around a lot of water it is just easier to assume my boots will leak. So I wear stocking foot waders inside my over sized hunting boots and I keep a dry pair of shoes at camp. I also keep dry socks in my pack.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Hotels in Anchorage can be expensive. I found this place was reasonable but its been 15 years since I have been there.

A Cousin of Mine B & B

16528 Kings Way Dr
Anchorage AK 99516

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions Mike. Thank God I'm coming from Australia. The price of things won't cause a blip in my blood pressure. The cost of everything in Australia is bizarre. (You pay $200 a night for 3-star rooms. The breakfast buffet can be $40.) I will overnight in Anchorage, but I have credits with a hotel chain I can use.

I found one big advantage in hunting Alaska versus Africa this year is that my hotel room will be free, and my round-trip airfare using air miles is $5.00. Almost 100% of my expenses are actually in the hunt, which is how I like it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ya know, I have a buddy from lower 48 who has hunted all over the place; been coming up to our community for 5-6 years; even got a deal for a small cabin here. Keeps a truck stored in Anchorage, atv in the bed. Couple of his friends also have cabins & keep boats in Ak. So they come up twice a year and spend a month or two each trip hunting & fishing. He tells me he wants to retire here but wife & kids; you know how that goes. He says we have the best moose, caribou, sheep, and bear hunting around; got a 61 inch couple years back and we always pass on the biggest caribou so he gets the shot when we we're out and about.

I hunt with him off and on a month or so every fall, have a good time and really do some killin. Just wish I could keep up with him with the beer, as he always shows up with 30 cases of Bud.

We all have fish nets for salmon, so he takes all kinds of salmon back with him. He got to know all the Indians and they like him too, classy guy & good hunter. We always get the lndian women down to help clean all the salmon he's putting up. He gets them all going telling them he's looking for a good Indian women to have babies with and all, good time when this guy is around. I just wish I wanted to hunt as much as he does. To most Alaskans, it's just fresh meat, not sport. But once my buddy got to know all the locals, he got more shooting than he could ever want and everybody wants him to move up here for good, ha.

I figure there's quite a few other non-residents who spend 3-4 months a year in Alaska too.

One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
When I went north of Nome back Sept 2008, moose was the last thing on my mind; Grizzly, yes! while there I witnessed at the shot or just after.
In 15 days of hunting, Brian Simpson, my outfitter had 8 non-residents take 5 mooose which went 48", 62", 64", 64" and a possible 67" (two broken, just hanging-on, outer points) bull. He hunts 22D.

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CK
posted Hide Post
Here's one I got a few years ago - 67 inches

"Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass." Mark Twain - Chris - IYAOYAS!

Posts: 653 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of BigRam$
posted Hide Post
One must really look at what they want, to most Alaskans big moose means spread only. There are plenty of 70 + moose that don't make B & C. To many guided hunters B & C / SCI Score means alot. Some areas produce great SCI scores and poor B & C as they are scored very differenty. My last bull had very dark antlers due to his residence in a recent burn area, it looks very nice contrasting with the white european skull mount. Skull plates are much easier to transport in small planes. Skull was cleaned and bleached in Anchorage by Alpha Fur Dressers for less than $200 and I did the wood mount. My gut says you'll find good heavy bulls in Western Wrangels, Big thick palmed bulls have been coming out of North and south of Tok area, out west have seen many wide, but[FLASH_VIDEO] [/FLASH_VIDEO] not as thick palmed bulls, but the state is too big to generalize. You've selected your outfitter, at this point have fun and get the big guy waiting on the edges...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i know your already booked but for future reference, CORDOVA HAS THE BIGGEST MOOSE!! that i've ever seen. look at sam fejes hunt record on moose. all the guys working the east coast are getting them. i've seen them and they are amazing. never seem moose like it.
gus lameroux takes some super nice ones off the ak pen and up the koyokuk they get some great ones.
then again they have booners in anchorage...lol

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote