Find
Notify
Tools

Brown bear hunt where to go?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gentlemen, Ladies,

Would appreciate your input on where to go for a brown bear hunt in AK? Some say Penninsular, somesay Kodiak?

Where is the best chance of a real big bear. What would you say in an average trophy one can expect?

Would boat hunts produce the same size bears as other hunts?

As you can see I have lots of Qs. Would greatly appreciate the input from hunters who have done it before.

Thanks,

Reddy375

Posts: 2552 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i think that the peninsula has a higher than avg. skull size due to genetics.

you should expect a bear in the low 8' range or larger. that is likely the avg. size bear taken in most places. i do not think that with a quality outfitter, in a quality area that a 9' bear is unreasonable.

i think boat hunts will limit the amount of bears seen to the ones near the shoreline. i feel a mobile spot and stalk hunt will be able to find more bears to see. personally, i would not do a boat hunt. just not me.

the fitter you are the higher your chances are of taking a bear and taking a larger than avg. size bear.

good luck.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kodiak Island, Unimak Island, AK Penn, would be my choices.

Posts: 409 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wesley timmerman
posted Hide Post
Look up Rough and Ready Outfitters on the internet. It is operated by Kelly Vrem. He is a life long Alaska resident and a super person. His spring hunts are truly great. His bears are as big as any in the world(seriously). My father and I have hunted with him 4 times and we have each taken true 10' bears.The smallest we have killed with him has been 9'6". the spring hunt is tough but well worth the effort and the money.His main guide Scott has guided over 70 sucessful brown bears hunters with him. His number 2 guide Chris has guided over 30 sucessful brown bear hunters.His areas are great with super brownie populations.They are all good people and great hunters.Feel free to call me at 843-343-5230 if you would like to here about my hunts with him.I am not an agent for him just a satisfied customer.
Thanks
Wesley Timmerman

Posts: 676 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cjworldtrek
posted Hide Post
Hi Wesley!

I would agree with you on Kelly. I have been working with him for many years...in fact I just confirmed a couple of clients for 2009 in his new area at Becharof.

Exellent outfitter, solid reputation and big bears.

Cheers,

Clark Jeffs
SAFARI OUTFITTERS, INC.

Posts: 95 | Location: The World from Cody, WY | Registered: 25 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What are his hunts costing?

It's always so quiet when the goldfish die.(Bror Blixen)

DRSS
Merkel 470 NE

one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
I have been Brownie hunting on the penninsula twice and on Kodiak once.

Thats not much compared to some of the posters here.

The one bit of advice I would offer is to spend the extra money and go with the best the first time rather than shopping for the best price.

Thank God that Chris Goll is out of the business - one less tripping point.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
cjworldtreck

New area on becharof did kelly buy his brothers area?

Palmer

I know what you mean about Chris. He did have a fantastik area though and Jim Hailton who now holds that area has more integrity than anyone I ever met.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
more bears in SE on the islands, bigger bears on the pennisula or kodiak

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote