New
Find
Notify
Tools

Back from caribou drop hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Here are some pictures from my trip to hunt caribou along the squirrel river near Kotzebue. Other than 24 hours of 60 mph wind, weather was typically rainy Alaska. Hunting was a little spotty, but we did get three nice bulls, plus some extra meat animals as well. These were all shot in one herd, I was using my .338 FN Mauser, with 210 TSX, while the others used factory ammo in a .338 and .30-06. All three of the big bulls were shot at 300 yards or so and of course three miles from camp.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Good looking animals!

Looks like a blast! One of these days I will make it up there...

Justin

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3319 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get your legs toughened up before going to Ak, everything is done on foot. Those three mile packs with 1/2 a caribou up and down the hills are fun! I hadn't been there before, was amazed at how much of Alaska is pretty much wilderness for miles and miles, not like Idaho and Wyoming with little patches of wild country, Ak is wild with tiny patches of civilization.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote