New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Lever Actions in 358 Norma
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
If you want to make it even more rare, chamber it in the 375/338. This is just a 338 win Mag with any 375 bullet stuffed into it. Same power and utility as the 375 H&H.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
A Swedish cowboy gun, I kinda like the sound of that

As a 35 fan, you're certainly going in the right direction. I'm not familiar with the BLR but I believe that the factory barrels have a part of the action resident in them, and it would be extremely difficult to duplicate the barrel, so a re-bore is recomended over a re-barrel.

I'd simply get a left hand std length bolt action and re-barrel it. I believe the Ruger M-77 MkII is available in a lefty, and would persue that route.

I don't think you can go wrong with the 358 Norma, but you might want to re-consider which action you build it on. I don't think there is a more versitile std length medium bore round, from 125 gr plinker bullets to 310 gr solids, and plenty of good choices in between. The only real question is do you go with a 225 gr "premium" bullet @ 2900 fps, or a 250 gr @ 2700 fps?

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gonzo FreakPower
posted Hide Post
Can't really say why, but suddenly 35cal makes sense to me. Maybe because I want something between 300WinMag and 416RemMag. I'm a lefty and won't deal with right-hand bolts. So what about a lever action? Are they to be found used? Or could I find a BLR (don't want tube mag) in 300 or 338WinMag and rebarrel?

I thought the Alaska forum was the best place for this, since that's where I'd love to take it first.

Posts: 557 | Location: Various... | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Browning BLR is the only lever action ever made that is chambered for belted magnums, and has never been chambered for the .358 Norma, so you're only option is the one you came up with yourself, get a magnum action BLR and have it rebarreled. I've been wanting to do this myself for 15 years ( to .458 Win ).

Posts: 117 | Location: U.S.A | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
There are quite a few advantages to the .358 Norma.

I have one, and shoot lots of cheap pistol bullets for practice, as well as cast bullets from the hundreds of molds intended for pistols.

Load it up with a good bullet like the Rhino bonded and it is a powerhouse that is very close to my .375 H&H.

By the way, brass is easy to make from any belted brass altough a few calibres will lead to slightly short brass (e.g. I made .358 Norma from 7mm Rem mag and they were about 1mm too short).

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another option I thought of in .35 cal. in a non tube magazine lever action is the Winchester 95 rebarreled to .35 Hawk, this is based on the 30-06 cartridge, basically it's a .35 Whelen. Z-Hat Custom Guns does this. Heres a link:

http://www.z-hat.com/

Posts: 117 | Location: U.S.A | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
May I respectfully suggest the 35-348 Win wildcat (35 Alaskan, I believe) in a Win Model 71?

Or (2nd choice) the old 35 Winchester.

I do have specs and loading data for both in electronic format. Send me a PM with your addy and I'll send it to you.

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you can't find a good lever in the ".35 xxx" you want, how about a Remington pump 7600 in .35 Whelen?

I have two friends who have them and they work like gangbusters on bull elk and Black bear, which is what they use them for.

L.W.

Posts: 253 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 30 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry 'bout doubling up.L.W.

Posts: 253 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 30 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would second the Pump, Rem. 7600 in .35 Whelens are a
natural for a lefty. Mine has worked well for our Alaska
Moose and it is very accurate. Another option is the Win
88 in .358 Winchester expensive if you can find them. Or Browning lever in .358 Winchester. The .358 Winchester is
no slouch in performance. But I have never heard of a .358
Norma in a lever you probably could make one out of a Long Action Browning lever. It would be one of a kind!

one of us
Picture of Gonzo FreakPower
posted Hide Post
Paul,

I just started having some doubts about the lever action route. I realized that bolts might be better, and easier to work over. I love my Stainless/Synthetic A-Bolt, a lefty 300 WinMag. A re-barreled rifle or an MRC from the ground up would probably do me better.

And I'll take both, the premium at high speed and the fat/slow. X bullets at 200, 225 and 250gr and Partitions for game. Ballistic Tips for plinking. Wide variety to choose from.

Since we're talking Alaska I feel more justified in wanting the S/S. That's 3 jobs I might want from MRC, all lefty S/S: 260 Rem, 358 Norma and 416RemMag. Maybe I'll scratch that lever itch with a 45-70.

Thanks for all the input.

Posts: 557 | Location: Various... | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote