THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Duracoating for blued rifles in Anchorage

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Duracoating for blued rifles in Anchorage
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just had my 375H&H blued Interarms rifle and rings coated in a super (impervious to the weather) coating called Duracoat by Mike of Custom Firearm Coating here in Anchorage. Anybody interested in this coating let me know, I'll get you his email address. He charges around $100.00 depending on what you want done. Has all kinds of different colors, camo patterns etc. Durocoat can be put on wood, rubber, stainless steel, blueing, plastic, scopes, binocs, almost anything. He's starting to go full bore with it after the 1st of the year due to he's just getting started and wants to wait for his business license to start anew. Thought I'd see if there's any interest here for I'm doing this without his knowledge.

Posts: 467 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 27 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great info, thank you - sent you a PM - KMule

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm interested in more info as well. I'll send a PM to get the email address.
Thanks

Posts: 53 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would be interested to hear how it holds up. After a couple of excellent molly jobs from Mac's Restorations I tried another coater who used Duracoat and it was a disaster, had problems immediately. I actually had coating coming off sliding surfaces and off sharp corners from the ride home in the gun case. PM if you want the name of the coater. Mac redid it for me with Gunkote and said he thought as in most all coatings it's the surface prep that probably caused the problems. Mac says he won't use it until the product developes a good track record as the manufacturer won't tell him exactly what's in it.

Posts: 206 | Location: Tucson, AZ, USA | Registered: 26 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My rifle has not had any problems from normal handling around the house and I'll be taking it to the range here pretty soon. I haven't had it out in the bush yet but so far from handling it and putting my scope back on it etc, its doing great. I'll be interested in seeing how this stands up to the weather and all the bumps and grinds a hunting trip can generate. I would say it depends on the prepping procedure. I think Mike sandblasts everything then applies the Durocoat and bakes it on. I know the heat is not as intense as some of the other coatings which is why you can put it on scopes etc. Anyway, his email address is: Mike@sewnvac.com, his phone number is 907 563 4008. Mike runs a Sewing machine/vacuum shop also here in Anchorage. He can answer any questions you have.
Thanks,
Choke

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I'll be contacting him after the holidays are over.
Cheers!

Posts: 53 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Choke,

Can you post pics?

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Antlers, I'll try and post some this evening.
Thanks
choke
quote:
Originally posted by Antlers:
Choke,

Can you post pics?