Notify
Tools

Unit 17 provides again
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted
Well pretty much.

Two of us hunted the last four days of the season here and we did take two. My friend ended up with a nice 58" 4 brow tine bull and I ended up with a bull. Not much more than that to say about mine.

The weather was very windy and warm, no frosts, and rain every day. not steady rain all day, but rain every day none the less. Most of the leaves weren't off the brush and trees, and that really affected our visibility. When we did see cows that most certainly had bulls with them they gave us the slip pretty easily in the thick cover.

My partner used a Ruger .338 with some Partition 250g going around 2800. At 150 yds the bull tipped in hard with one thru the shoulder and up into the neck as he as quartering away. I used my Remington 9.3x 62 with 250g TSX going about 2500, and bullet performance was as advertized in the magazines.

Now the exciting part. The hunters up in Wood Tikchik State Park did really well! As I understand it success was really good, and I personally saw and measured a 77" and a 71" bull. I also saw several bulls in the 60"+ range. Last year Bay Air here in Dillingham hauled out three successful moose hunters. Rumor has it that this year it's better than a dozen.

I got to get out of here and get to work.

Posts: 9215 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some photos posted for Scott. Lots of meat for the freezer...and that 58" is really pretty.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sk,
congrats to you and your friend
thats some fine eating to bee sure.

yd,
thank you also, very very nice
wish i was the guy in the middle picture!
regards

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice job! I thought about hunting 17 and ended up going elsewhere.....and came home empty.

Maybe next year....

It is always good to see nice bulls...

Cheers,

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Thanks YD for posting the pictures.

Unit 17 has been good for a little while now. The caribou hunting is an absolute waste of time but the bears and moose are abundant. As long as both residents and visitors continue to target the predators out here I expect the moose to thrive.

Thats the smallest bull I've ever killed.

Nuts.

Posts: 9215 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote