Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Login/Join

One of Us
posted
anybody here hunt with a short barreled 416 rem mag if so what are you getting for velocity and how long the barrel. was thinking of loading some 300gr barnes for deer?

Posts: 201 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've shot several head of deer, impala and Cape buffalo-sized stuff with the 300 grain Barnes X in a .416 Rigby at 2900 fps. Everything shot at less than 100 yards. The bullets appear to open quickly. I only recovered one bullet, that being from a buffalo shot behind the shoulder and recovered from under the skin on the off side. The petals had been sheered off and the bullet reminant looked like a slightly enlarged pencil eraser. Deer shot behind the shoulder displayed an orange-sized exit wound. Of perhaps a dozen animals taken all were one-shot kills. Simply my experience.

Posts: 47 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 26 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
..........I hunt with the same bullet in my 416 Rem but I have a 22" barrel on my current rifle ...My load is 86 gr H 4895 and a moly coated 300 gr Barnes X bullet . I,m only getting around 2835 fps chronographed @ 20 feet ..It is a good load ,., It is the max Barnes book load and I didn,t want to exceed it as with the moly coating I am doing fine pressure wise and that is the way I want to keep it ....If you look at my avatar you can see what it does to a deers head @ 70 paces ....It is an easy load to shoot and is very flat shooting for something that size....The 350 gr TSX @2650 is a GREAT load in the rem mag. and is mayby the best,, but the 300 is my favorite...,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Inyati ,, How did the buffalo react to the shot ???..What rifle is your 416 Rigby ,, what groups do you get ,,?????? Thanks ,,

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
gumboot458. The buff was taken at about thirty-five yards, broadside just behind the shoulder. Ran about forty yards stopped and fell over, giving a death bellow, before I could reload (Ruger #1). Shot a croc from about sixty yards through the walnut broadside. The bullet opened very quickly taking off the top of the head. Not even a twitch thankfully. Regards.

Posts: 47 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 26 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i cronographed several very short bbl 416 rem for scott mcloud been a few yrs but im geussin factory 400 gr dont think it was handloads any way it was 400 gr 18 in bbl @ 2350+. my factory 22in rem . june 1989 400 factory a frames @ 2450+ on 3 screen ohler at rabbit cr. only 10 - 15 ft var as a rule even with handloads

If your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tuff.

Posts: 399 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 01 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
........The 416 Remington is a pretty great cartridge ,,,.,.It does well with short barrels ,,,And light bullets .....If you need the ability to body slam a big bear @ very close range and with the same rifle to shoot a deer @ 300 yrds or more ,,the 416,s are about the king of the hill ....Rem mag does it with a little less powder than the Rigby or Whby ......

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote