THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Speer Grand Slam .338gr vs. Brown Bear

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Speer Grand Slam .338gr vs. Brown Bear
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted
Has anyone here killed a Brown bear with this 250 grain bullet? How was performance? Thanks

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Westley Richards 450 NE 3 1/4"

Posts: 864 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't believe I have seen anyone use that bullet. Given the more proven options out there might be why. But brown bears have been killed with Remington core-lokts, so I'm pretty sure the grand slam will be fine. I wouldn't expect great weight retention thru leg bones or hips.

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Corelocts have killed everything for years. I haven't used Grand Slams, but they probably work fine too. A heavy for caliber bullet from a 338 is seldom a terrible choice.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I have not used them in the 338 but in my experience the 285gr Grand Slam in the .375 is one of the best.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
Thanks for getting in on this Phil.

The 250gr bullets I have on hand for .338 are current style NP, old turned style NP, Swift A-Frame and the Grand Slams. Really more options than needed.

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Westley Richards 450 NE 3 1/4"

Posts: 864 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bobby, of those, it's hard to beat an A-Frame.

Posts: 20139 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Bobby, of those, it's hard to beat an A-Frame.

That's true,, but almost any of the name brand 250 gr bullets would be fine with me. The 250 Hot Core works great as does the Interlock and the Game King.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1410 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I have u'ssed the 250 grain Sierra game king for the better part of the last 30 years that I have been hunting with a .338 Winchester. I've taken half dozen brown bears with that bullet. Back about 07 when I needed to load up a supply of .338 ammo I had trouble finding the Sierra's and had to use another bullet. I got some 250 gr Hornady inter-lock bullets. I took two brown bear with that bullet before I was able to find and go back to the Sierra's. The Hornady's seem to work fine But not as accurate.
I can't say that I've ever taken a brown bear with the spear .338 Grand Slam.
I have used the grand slam in 30 caliber and they have worked really well on smaller game and also a couple of brown bears from a 30-06 and 300 Win Mag. I can only assume that the 250 gr grand slam will work as well in the 338 as the 200 grains work in 30 caliber but I haven't tested it.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I used them for feral bulls 700BDL. You will have no issue. Mine were in the old Nitrex ammo. I loved that stuff.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
I have not used the 250 grain .338 Grand Slam on brown bear, but I have used it on a grizzly, several 500 pound plus black bear and a few moose and elk. I have found they hang together really well and on most the shots have been pass throughs including on bears where all shots either took out one or both shoulders.

On the other hand I do not think you have a bad choice in your selection of 250 grain bullets........ I'd use any of them and not think twice about it.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1819 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker

Posts: 828 | Location: Whitecourt, Alberta | Registered: 10 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used the 285 Grand Slam and the 300 gr. Sierra on Cape Buffalo with perfect results in that they came to rest on the opposite side under the hide, so I'm sure they would perform to perfection on the softer tissue and bone of a bear and would probably get a higher percentage of exit holes in a bear. Just my guess.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41970 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote