THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    458 win mag loads for a back-up situation

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

458 win mag loads for a back-up situation
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If I am going to use my 458 win mag for back-up in Alaska in big bear country (so we're talking open sites, no scope) what bullet would you use? I am a Swift a-frame kinda guy so I am bias when it comes to soft bullets.

I have 400, 450, and 500 grain bullets over AA2230 powder.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
I'm sure all of the above would be fine. Since a lot of people up here seem to think that low quality bullets from a 30-06 are wonderful for all Alaska has to offer I think you'll be well ahead of the game.

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
dirk

I have shot a lot of animals with a 458 Win and a 400 Swift A at 2325 fps, including 3 lions. It is a hammer and puts an end to thin skinned issues quickly. I have seen moose, elk, sable, kudu, zebra, and several others go down to this bullet. For serious bear medicine, it would be hard to beat.

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've walked a few miles in G.Bear Country and have seem a number real close.. On the Fishing Streams in particular ! WOOO..
I think a fast handling Shotgun is a better Choice over all..
I carry a 7mm Rem Mag for all of my AK Hunting and have often thought This Ain't Going to stop a charge from a Bear up close..
The .458 Win would be a Good Choice with Hard Cast Bullets at the right speed I would tnink..
AK

Posts: 16798 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any of those Swift bullets would work.
I would probably use the 450gr.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Dirk, Who will you be backing up? Did you finally book a bear hunt or accompanying someone?
I'm sure you have talked with Stan?

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
If I need a hammer, I want a sledge! Use the 500's.

Posts: 5700 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Well in my experience and opinion that 400 Swift at 2325 fps on thin skinned dangerous game makes a better sledge than a 500 at 2150. Not so for buffalo however! I like a little velocity for those sort of critters, hit's em a little harder as long as you have a good bullet like the Swifts to transfer that trauma and continue to penetrate!
So I consider the 400 a pretty good sledge hammer, better than weight in this instance!

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
400, AAC 2230 scoots them out @ 2400 very well in most rifles ...........

The recoil is alot easier , the trajectory flatter , I think that is the bullet Kenny Schoonover ,Master Guide in Hoonah used .....It,s a real dump machine ........I hope Kabluey chimes in here as he has killed moose with that bullet and round .........If I had to use a Swift , and I have , my 2nd choice would be the 450 .... The 500 is IMO too long for a standard action 458 Win mag ... The 400s and 450s fit like a glove ......

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
My experience is that the 500's at 2100fps seem to hit harder and put them down a little quicker than the 400's but the 400's are flatter shooting and certainly easier to shoot well and better for all around use. I used to prefer the 400 Barnes X but now like both the 400 Swift and the 400 Kodiaks.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
500 gr Woodleigh Power Points.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the imput guys, I'll try the 400's and the 450's and see what the difference is in recoil and velocity between the two and go from there. My rifle weighs 9 lb (Ruger action, Danny Pederson 22 inch barrel, McMillian stock) which I believe is a good compromise, I'm used to carrying my 11 lb 500 N.E. so it feels like an ultra-light big bore in comparison.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
In all reality , it,s hard to go wrong with the 458 Win Mag for Alaska use ... Once I get the 450 Watts I found , I may try an 18 " barrel on a Ruger action for a summer gun .....Even if I slow it down and poke a 400 gr Rn. bullet out the muzzle @ 2100 fps . that is still gonna knock a bear down . eEpecially @ 50 ft or less .... The standard 14" twist would be fine , and it could be made up to weigh 7 lbs ... Maybe I won,t even put a brake on it .., Well maybe I will ..???????

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Dirk, I saw that rifle at Danny's. Looked like it was going to make into a real Alaskan rifle.
Where are you hunting?

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
Dirk, I saw that rifle at Danny's. Looked like it was going to make into a real Alaskan rifle.
Where are you hunting?

Phil, no place in particular at this time, I'll be ready when I do go. Since I would not shoot a trophy BB over 50 yards I my as well use my 458 rather than my 375 just for fun, in fact I really want to hunt BB with my DR.