THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Mountain goat and dall sheep combo - possible?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mountain goat and dall sheep combo - possible?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can you hunt dall sheep and mountain goats on the one hunt, and where would be the best place to go?
Do the goats have a thicker coat in winter compared to the fall?
At the moment it's just for curiosity, but I would like for this to be my next trip, maybe in the fall of 2011.
Thank in advance for any info guys.

...I feel sorry for people who don't drink.
When they wake up they know that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
I am not the expert, but from what I've heard, seen, and read: Goats and sheep are not mutually prolific in most areas where found. The Kenai, Chugach, Wrangell, and parts of the Alaska range have goats. Some of those areas have sheep. Some of them have lots of sheep, but not necessarily all of them have lots of goats. Goats tend to be around the central southeastern coastal areas of Alaska. Kodiak Island, the Kenai Pen, Parts of the Chugach Mountains, Prince William Sound, and the Wrangell mountains probably have the most goats. Goat hides will be markedly longer and thicker in October and November. Most sheep seasons are the end of August/begining on September. Of the good goat areas mentioned probably the Chugach and Wrangell mountains have the most sheep. I'm not sure how well the season dates, availability of permits in the same area, and common distribution of both animals lend to a combo hunt. Sam Fejes and Joe Ramano would be two good people to ask about Prince William Sound and the Wrangell Mountains. Lance Chronberger(sp?) would be a good person to ask about the Chugach Mountains. I think Chugach goat and sheep tags are difficult to get let alone at the same time. The Wrangell mountains/Prince William Sound area may be your best bet.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Not easy to do but possible. I give much more detaild answer where you posted the same question on the Canadian hunting page.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
Valdez is a possibility. North side of the Chugach has Dalls and you could get goats along the coast.

Both the Stikine (Petersburg/Wrangell) and Taku (Juneau) Rivers reportedly have Stones at or near the Canadian border. Goats are pretty easy at those locations.

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree re the Canadian forum...
Watson lake

Posts: 326 | Location: Watson Lake, Yukon, Canada | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul Claus- nuff said.

Sincerely,

Thomas

Thomas Kennedy

Posts: 122 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 08 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Stone sheep and goats are fairly easy, dall sheep and goats are pretty difficult. Maybe in the Yukon or NWT.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
Goats and Dall sheep are very doable especially if you draw the DG 718 or 719 and the DS 165/160 tag at the same time, it runs from Aug 10th to Sep 20th, now packing both at the same time would be really fun, other than horn sizetrophy goats are bigger than the biggest dall ram. I know you can hunt sheep in TCUA, hop across the tiekel river and start hunting goats 1 sep thru Nov 30th....many other options out there, Just look at the F&G reg Book...

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Express,

You'll need a guide as a non-rsident alien anyway so do some inquiries with guides offering mountain hunts. Personally I think after 20 years hunting in AK that a single species hunt may be the way to go. It is going to be a trick to find a guide offering the combo that can really deliver both. Even if that all works out and you can get tags etc. as has been mentioned the goats just are not going to have that long beautiful hair that makes them the spectacular trophy they are during the sheep season.

Book a good sheep hunt or a goat hunt and get a good trophy of one of the other. If I can provide any assistance drop me an e-mail.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Howdy,

In 1996, for my 40th birthday I did exactly what you are thinking about.

I spent considerable time investigating and checking out the different places to do the Mt Goat and Dall Sheep combo in Alaska.

At that time - three outfitters (top notch) had the combo available - Ultima Thule(Paul Claus), AAA Alaskan Outfitters and Tsui River Lodge with Sam Fejes.

I selected Tsiu River with Same Fejes-Chugach for the Sheep (Out of Tonsina-Tazlina Glacier) and the Robinson Mts along the coast for the Goat - Fejes had the best goats from what I found researching.

I took a 13 yr old, 36.5 inch Sheep on the 9th day of my 10 day hunt and a 9 7/8 inch Billie on the 18th day of my 10 day hunt. Fejes let me stay (AT NO EXTRA CHARGE) until I took my Goat-I had to be patient because of new hunters arriving for Moose and Bear, Sept. 1 - I actually fishing for Silver Salmon until my arm got tired for a couple of days until Fejes could get me out for Goat.

I was the only hunter that was not a millionaire and I had taken a 4 yr loan out of my 401K to finance the hunt - it was worth every single penny. Perhaps this was why Fejest allowed me to stay until I took a goat.

Since then, I've hunted Africa a few times, Alaska again, New Mexico, Canada and a few other places but the 1996 hunt was still the most memorable, most difficult and certainly the best.

Adios

Sport

Posts: 103 | Location: Central PA | Registered: 16 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Sport, that is some truly useful real world info. It's always nice to find people who have already done some of your homework for you.
Cheers.

p.s. I am starting to think about doing just one of these for the moment, because it seems it will be hard to get a goat with a full winter coat while sheep season is open. I will try to find out more about that now.

...I feel sorry for people who don't drink.
When they wake up they know that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wesley timmerman
posted Hide Post
Check with Kelly Vrem owner of Rough and Ready Outfitters,life long Alaska resident and outfitter/guide for years. I am quite sure he can do both and I know he a a great goat area just not sure what he averages on his Dall's. He is top shelf guy,his outfit is quality and his guides are great.He will shoot you straight and give you no BS answers.
Thanks
Wesley

Posts: 676 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
EXPRESS,

You've been given some good advise and referred to some great operators but that does not change the fact that the sheep hunting is best in August and the goats are much better in November. Contact me anytime if you really want to take either species.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Most of what Sport Fulton is talking about was'nt drawing permit in 96 but it is now.

Chances of drawing nonresident sheep for Chugach mountains is in the single diget percentage.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muskegex
posted Hide Post
One of the things to keep in mind is that late August / early Sept the days a longer .. the weather is better.

A late Oct / Nov Goat hunt has very short days with weather spelled with a capitol W.

I personally think people over rate the long haired Goat. There is nothing wrong with an Aug / Sept Goat ... just not as long haired. Many hunters will choose the shorter hair for the better weather and longer days.

I hunt one of the most trophy productive areas there is. S SE AK ... last fall out of our 3 Goat hunters we took 2 B&C Goats. One was with a bow and will be near the top P&Y ranks at 52".

Muskegman is right about Stones being along the BC border in SE AK ... but there is no Stone Sheep season in AK, so they cannot be hunted.

Johnnie Laird
www.muskegexcursions.com

Posts: 134 | Location: ketchikan | Registered: 28 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PAUL CLAUS....
he was four for four on combo hunts last year( my understanding), none of the goats took longer than a day...impressive area to say the least. runs it top notch, seen the area, hunted it and flown with him. Unless weather stinks i really wouldn't see the need for 10 days of hunting over there...
thats the first place i'd look for sure!

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sam Fejes and Joe Ramano would be two good people to ask about Prince William Sound and the Wrangell Mountains. Lance Chronberger(sp?) would be a good person to ask about the Chugach Mountains.

Joe Romano +1:

Joe's Website

...."At some point in every man's life he should own a Sako rifle and a John Deere tractor....it just doesn't get any better...."

Posts: 630 | Location: Hawera, Taranaki, New Zealand | Registered: 17 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
95% of the areas where Dall Sheep and Mountain Goat habitat/ranges overlap are in drawing permit areas. There are a few places where it would be possible to hunt them both in the same area without drawing a permit. The Paul Claus recommendation is a good one. Nearly every other area either requires a drawing permit for sheep or goats or for both.

As an Alaskan, I'd be drawn and quartered to mention the other areas, but they are very tiny and very low productivity areas. Not places that someone paying big bucks would ever bet on.

Plenty of outfits will offer you both species on the same hunt, but in different locales... Not a problem to do that, but does take a little extra time.

I'd highly recommend, as Mark Young noted, to concentrate on one species. As he mentioned, sheep are best hunted in August and early September while goats are a bit later. And, neither are the easiest to hunt. Pick your poison and concentrate on that. Come back another time for the other. It would be much more enjoyable.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote