Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:
Originally posted by Alec Torres:
quote:
...I am all for drilling, mining and all the good exploitation of resources stuff. All this hunting and fishing and nature and for our children and next generation is do gooder bs. If it is economic stuff should be exploited and utilized.

If there are a few unemployed fisherman they can join the unemployed retail store manager displaced by amazon and find a new occupation.

Mike

Have you been to the wasteland that is modern day China? Williston, ND? The examples of poorly conceived development are legion. Your cynicism is astounding.

We have enough 'resource development' without finding new places to destroy.

Problem is everyone wants the Greenwich, CT lifestyle - big houses, big cars and suvs and trucks, a lot of resource consumption but no one wants anything that generates those resources in their backyard.

So drill the oil elsewhere, refining it elsewhere, mine the the copper elsewhere - just make sure my 20k square foot house has all the copper wiring and plumbing.

All that drill baby drill is bs.

At least in Texas they will run the gathering pipeline thru some fancy neighborhoods in Tarrant county. They will build refineries and chemical plants outside of Houston.

I personally would bring out mr Peabody shovel, dig the mine and mark it all to the progress of man.

But in the world as it is this resource will probably sit unused.

Copper is tied to gdp so it will come from somewhere. If the price gets highly enough the market will find a way to get it. Maybe all of the Selous gets strip mined.

Yes I have been to China - Shanghai is pretty cool. In 2007 I stayed at the 90 floor and woke up at night when I heard some banging sound. They were welding in the Shanghai world financial center at 2am. It was the 100 plus floor building then under construction. That was eye opening. I have seen the same in India - guys working all thru the night on construction. All this will need copper.

I prefer Hong Kong - I like staying at Pacific Place.

I have been to too many shale oil fields - I will skip the Bakken - Hong Kong is nicer.

Mike

I'm inclined to think you know your not telling the truth, oil exploration is increasing, " drill baby drill" on the North Slope.

Posts: 9212 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:
quote:
quote:
quote:
...I am all for drilling, mining and all the good exploitation of resources stuff. All this hunting and fishing and nature and for our children and next generation is do gooder bs. If it is economic stuff should be exploited and utilized.

If there are a few unemployed fisherman they can join the unemployed retail store manager displaced by amazon and find a new occupation.

Mike

Have you been to the wasteland that is modern day China? Williston, ND? The examples of poorly conceived development are legion. Your cynicism is astounding.

Problem is everyone wants the Greenwich, CT lifestyle - big houses, big cars and suvs and trucks, a lot of resource consumption but no one wants anything that generates those resources in their backyard.

So drill the oil elsewhere, refining it elsewhere, mine the the copper elsewhere - just make sure my 20k square foot house has all the copper wiring and plumbing.

At least in Texas they will run the gathering pipeline thru some fancy neighborhoods in Tarrant county. They will build refineries and chemical plants outside of Houston.

I personally would bring out mr Peabody shovel, dig the mine and mark it all to the progress of man.

Copper is tied to gdp so it will come from somewhere. If the price gets highly enough the market will find a way to get it. Maybe all of the Selous gets strip mined.

Yes I have been to China - Shanghai is pretty cool. In 2007 I stayed at the 90 floor and woke up at night when I heard some banging sound. They were welding in the Shanghai world financial center at 2am. It was the 100 plus floor building then under construction. That was eye opening. I have seen the same in India - guys working all thru the night on construction. All this will need copper.

I have been to too many shale oil fields - I will skip the Bakken - Hong Kong is nicer.

Mike

I'm inclined to think you know your not telling the truth, oil exploration is increasing, " drill baby drill" on the North Slope.

https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=7970

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m...amp/af/idAFL1N213026

Build pipelines to California from West Texas or investment massive capex in attic oil production

https://www.oilandgas360.com/a...mium-price-on-brent/

Alaska is kind of irrelevant to the us energy equation going forward. There may be individual counties in Texas that produce more crude than Alaska in the near future.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mike

Mike

Build pipelines to California from West Texas or investment massive capex in attic oil production

Alaska is kind of irrelevant to the us energy equation going forward. There may be individual counties in Texas that produce more crude than Alaska in the near future.

Mike

Maybe, I think North Dakota produces more oil than AK also.
Regardless, there is increasing exploration, " drill baby drill" in AK.Your insinuation wasn't true. I certainly can see low cost oil killing our very expensive production.

Posts: 9212 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mike

Mike

Mike

Regardless, there is increasing exploration, " drill baby drill" in AK.Your insinuation wasn't true. I certainly can see low cost oil killing our very expensive production.

Here is your Alaska rig count

https://ycharts.com/indicators/alaska_rotary_rigs

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mike

Mike

Mike

Here is your Alaska rig count

https://ycharts.com/indicators/alaska_rotary_rigs

Mike

Wow what a bunch of interweb expert fucktards!
bsflag horse hammering

Posts: 2357 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Are country is weaker????????? Learn English PD Hunter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I do need and editor thanks for volunteering.

Posts: 19432 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
The proposed Pebble Mine sits at the headwaters of the Koktuli River. A few years ago I did a weeklong float trip on the Koktuli. Any of the politicians who think the mine is a good idea should float that river. Few or none would come away with their ideas intact.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Thanks Forrest, once the wilderness and Salmon spawning streams are gone. No amount of money will bring them back

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted Lake Iliamna for a week and have never seen more beautiful country. The head waters of that lake is where they want to mine. I will never understand why anyone would want to destroy all that for dollars, then leave it ravaged for nature to try to restore all that it is. The dollars would go out of country at that. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2354 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The draft EIS is out with comments accepted until 7/1.There are some serious holes in the EIS, such as what happens to a 60 story earthen dam in a seismic zone such as this. NO MENTION! Not acceptable.

Posts: 1338 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
I have never voted Dem in my life and don't plan on it (translated: I am not a lib), but the Pebble mine is a horrible idea. I am not opposed to drilling or oil in AK; wasn't opposed to logging in Tongass, but an open pit mine??

PD, have you ever been to Alaska? Ever been to Lake Clark or Iliamna?

Have you ever seen the Valdez Creek mine. Its a huge hole in the earth and Alaska survived just great and was greatly benefited from it.
Those opposed to the Pebble are either getting money from the gubmint or as entertainers of the rich or well off. . The other ones are commercial fishermen. Ya know, the ones that are depleting our resources that can be be irreparably depleted.

But hey, they mostly vote liberal/progressive so there ya have er.
People need to work for real wages like miners make. But the progressives think they need the money and mostly prestige.
Any way if the miners really want to mine the Pebble. They will do whatever needed to have their mine. Maybe they have more intestinal fortitude than the spineless pieces of scrap that were in charge of the timber industry in Southeast Alaska.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
I'm with p dog. I've lived here for 35 years and yes, I have been to the area to hunt. The animals will survive the mine. Look at the pics of caribou, moose, bears, and musk ox that live with the pipeline.

Develop the USA first and use what we have, what God gave us. Mining can be done responsibly. Yes in the past it wasn't. Yes there can be accidents. Valdez and the gulf oil spill are two examples. But we cleaned them up and all is well. The only other option is to buy all of our oil from the Middle East.

One further example. Copper River salmon are the best slamon on the market and the price people pay for them is extreme. It's a great fishery. Why is it the Copper River? 100 years ago a huge copper mine was there. No enviromental rules then. Today it's a wonderful place to look at, fish, etc.

I'd rather use what we have, put our people to work, and be responsible for our own outcome and future than rely on countries that hate everything about us except our money.

If it can't be grown, it must be mined.
Cal

One of the best posts I've ever read on AR !
Thank you Sir !

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A7Dave:
quote:
Originally posted by vicvanb:
quote:
All this hunting and fishing and nature and for our children and next generation is do gooder bs.

Sad commentary on where we're at.

Isn't it? Alaska doesn't need Pebble. The US doesn't need Pebble. It is 100% a money maker for non-AK and non-US interests. Thank God Alaska doesn't look like the gas fields of Alberta or the Williston Basin areas in the US. Areas I flew over 20 years ago were pitch black. Now they are lit up like cites.

"If was in China or west Texas it would be producing by now." Damn right. China is a shithole. West Texas is dry as a bone. It has no commercial fisheries. Bristol Bay is (I think) the largest wild salmon fishery in the world. There is no need to risk the salmon for a low yield, leach pit mine. Because containment lakes never break, right?

https://www.scientificamerican...-ash-pond-collapses/

https://www.wise-uranium.org/mdaf.html

Etc, etc.

Alaska is a gift to the world. Let's use it wisely. Pebble is not worth the risk and the destruction of habitat.

Alaskan's need the money from the Pebble.
Maybe retired government employees don't. But the working people of Alaska do.

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
The working people who care more about money than leaving a healthy and viable wilderness with wild game for any future generations

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
The working people who care more about money than leaving a healthy and viable wilderness with wild game for any future generations

All the areas the were previously mined during the gold rush. With no protections back then.

Do not hold any game.

Posts: 19432 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Check the value of the Bristol Bay salmon fishery. Slot of Alaskan are making a lot of money from a renewable resource. A very healthy and renewable resource.
The idiot above that think commercial fishermen are harming this fishery d9esnt know what he's talking about.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The VAST, VAST, majority of that goes to Seattle based fishermen and processors (90%+ of the $$) who don't give a single damn about Alaska or fisheries sustainability. They'd catch every single last one of them if they had their way and then move one to exploit another area to make payments on their condo in Hilo. Opposition to that colonial exploitation model was one of the main impetuses for statehood.

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

"PS. To add a bit of Pappasonian philosophy: this single barrel stuff is just a passing fad. Bolt actions and single shots will fade away as did disco, the hula hoop, and bell-bottomed pants. Doubles will rule the world!"

Posts: 812 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Omnivorous_Bob:
The VAST, VAST, majority of that goes to Seattle based fishermen and processors (90%+ of the $$) who don't give a single damn about Alaska or fisheries sustainability. They'd catch every single last one of them if they had their way and then move one to exploit another area to make payments on their condo in Hilo. Opposition to that colonial exploitation model was one of the main impetuses for statehood.

Quite a bit of Dillingham and my region is involved in the fishery, myself included.
It's just stupid to suggest the commercial fishery would like to wipe itself out. Duck hunters conserve the ducks, farmers conserve the land, fishermen happily conserve their fishery. Noone wants no salmon to chase next year or any other. Regardless that idiotic insinuation, the fishery has been demonstrably well managed.

Look at the numbers. The fish are very valuable.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
What a tragedy it would be to see the Bristol Bay fishery damaged and Pebble turn into yet another Superfund site after the developers squeezed all the juice out of the grape and walked away from their mess, as has been the case over and over and over in the Lower 48.

https://www.epa.gov/superfund/...nds-site-information

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16529 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
What a tragedy it would be to see the Bristol Bay fishery damaged and Pebble turn into yet another Superfund site after the developers squeezed all the juice out of the grape and walked away from their mess, as has been the case over and over and over in the Lower 48.

https://www.epa.gov/superfund/...nds-site-information

I completely agree. The Captain Jack Superfund sight is less than 3 miles from my house. The clean up efforts are footed by tax payers and will continue for years to come with mixed results. The pebble mine is just not a good idea.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Omnivorous_Bob:

Exactly,
don't forget the winter welfare checks for the residents Wink coffee

Posts: 2357 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote