Find
Notify
Tools

A TRIVIAL QUESTION
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted
How do you who do a lot of backpacking keep the sweat from happening between your pack and your back? Everytime I hike a few miles with mine in temperatures down to 20 degrees then remove it to glass awhile the back of my shirt is soaked.

Is there something you can place between the pack and your coat that lets the air circulate between?

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I usually use the thin proplene under clothes that helps ,with fleece on top.That kinda make sweat wick away.The cotton pants and underwear make it worse.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you're sweating that match, you may want to drop a layer of clothing. Sounds like you're over-dressed. Dress lighter and put on another layer when you stop. Won't cure it completely, but should reduce it.

Posts: 132 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
If you are a sweater like I am you do have real problems. I'm wet on my lower back all of the time when I'm exerting my self while hauling a pack. Which I do more then most as I'm out one hell of alot. Sorry the propo & other stuff only helps a little. Don't get me wrong it is great but it is not the complete answer. I have & do have to change out my under shirts fairly regularly (propo or other wise). otherwise I get that cold feeling. So I just put the wet one on the outside of my pack to dry and it is ready for the next change out. No biggie! Hey it takes only a couple of minutes to change out. So that is not a problem plus it get you a chance to really stop and see the country.

Posts: 23 | Location: Tok Alaska | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Palmer: I agree with the other guys who think you're wearing too much clothing while walking. When I'm out with a packbaord, I may only wear a chamois cloth shirt. I seldom wear long john tops. When we stop to glass, I may put on a heavier shirt over the chamois cloth one, or perhaps a down vest or even my wool windstopper sweater. In more severe wind/cold, I'll even use my rain jacket for a wind break. I always carry at least 2 outer layers of some type in my packboard and dress accordingly while hiking so as to not sweat. In some cases, I'll even wrap a scarf around my head in lieu of a hat. I still carry my hat though, just in case. I also carry some insulated leather gloves in my pack as well. Hope this helps some.
Bear in Fairbanks

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Palmer: Find a Under Armour brand t-shirt. It was originally designed for police officers to wear beneath body armor; thus it wicks away sweat nicely. You can find them at www.qmuniforms.com.