New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for help on a Book title
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
There was a book written by a guy about his travels and adventures in Alaska. He hiked into some really remote area, built a cabin, etc.

Does anyone know the name of the book, or the author?

Thanks for your help.

Use enough gun...
Shoot 'till it's dead, especially if it bites.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know if this is the one, but I bought it from the Outdoor Life Book Club a number of years ago. The title is THE CHEECHACOS. I don't remember who the author was. It detailed a story about a family who homesteaded in Alaska.

THE LUCKIEST HUNTER ALIVE!

Posts: 853 | Location: St. Thomas, Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that info...

I find myself about to spend two weeks in New Zealand (with 16 hours of flights on each end) and have suddenly exhaused my reading supply...I'm trying to find some good suggestions before I leave.

Use enough gun...
Shoot 'till it's dead, especially if it bites.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Doesn't exactly sound like what you are looking for, but Jim Rearden's Alaska: Fifty Years of Frontier Adventure is a good read.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is not THE CHEECHAKOS, if he hiked in. The settled SE Alaska in a remote bay by boat. If you can give me more detail on the story line, I might be able to help you out.

Posts: 323 | Location: Anchorage, AK, USA | Registered: 15 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
I doubt that this is the one you are referring to, but "Alaska Game Trails with a Master Guide" is an excellent book. It details the adventures of Hal Waugh, Alaska's first Master Guide. I'd have lliked to have met this man.

The author is Charles Keim. It may not be an easy one to find. I have an original 1977 soft cover, but I thought the Alaska Professional Hunters Association did a reprint a year of so ago (?). If you do a google search on the title, there are a few used ones available, including on amazon.com for $15-$20.

There is a good list of other books about Alaska on the Alaska Outdoors Forum site: http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/magazine/bibliog.htm

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Trademark Texan,

The book you may be looking for is, "One Man's Wilderness, An Alaskan Odyssey". The story is about Richard Pronneke and his life in the bush.....great read. The book was put together by Sam Keith from Pronneke's journals and photographs. There is also a website that has a documentary on CD, I believe, that was recently shown on the Disc. Chan. Hope this helps.

Joe

Where there's a hobble, there's hope.

Posts: 369 | Location: Homer, Alaska | Registered: 04 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The book about Richard Pronneke is probably the one you are looking for. I read it a few years ago and kept thinking how hypocritical he was. Sort of reminded me of John Muir. By the time I was finished with the book, I was sick of his attitude.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DPhillips,

I can't disagree w/the attitude, especially when it came to other hunters in the area.....a friend of mine knew Pronneke and had actually been at the cabin.......he told me that Pronneke looked at that area as his personal back yard.

DP, have you read "Alaska-Yukon Trophies Won and Lost"? I just finished it......incredibly interesting read from another space in time.

Joe

Posts: 369 | Location: Homer, Alaska | Registered: 04 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ovis:
DPhillips,
DP, have you read "Alaska-Yukon Trophies Won and Lost"? I just finished it......incredibly interesting read from another space in time.

I've been looking for that book, but can only find rediculously priced used specimens (like $200 and up).

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frans,

You can find reprints of it for around 30-40 bucks. The first editions are VERY expensive. If I remember right the Alaska FNAWS was selling some reprints. Yukon Trophies Won and Lost is probably the best on trip hunting book every written.

Posts: 384 | Location: Tok, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Frans,

As Northway said, reprints of the 1947 edition are out there and can be found for $20US and up. I recently saw a 1947 edition for sale in Whitehorse for $250Can. A 1926 first edition in red linen covering starts at $900US and goes up from there........but what a book......Northway hit the nail on the head.....it may be the best on trip hunting book ever written and gives insight into how differently things were done in those times. Whatever you decide to pay for a copy, you will not be sorry.

Joe

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wolfe did a paper back copy of alaska Trophies year before last I think.They did a hard back reprint a few years back they are about $250.I like Russell Annabel way better that most all the others.The book Alaskas Wolf Man is an awesome book also.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Finley
posted Hide Post
I'd second what dgr416 said about "Alaskas Wolf Man" that is a great book. One of my favorites!

Posts: 223 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 20 February 2001Reply With Quote