Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fairbanks
 Login/Join

posted
Hello all I am new to this site. I am in the military and was considering trying to get stationed in Fairbanks. I was just wondering what game species are there a lot of around the area. And if I got stationed there would anyone be willing to hunt with me.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
The main big game species close to Fairbanks is moose, secondary would be grizzly bears. One important thing to know about Alaska is that the game densities are quite low, and there are vast areas with almost no game.

Plan to put alot of time into hunting, and likely a fair bit of $. Most species require rather expensive transportation to get to.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Other military members in Alaska hunt, often along civilian friends. More than likely it will be difficult for you to hunt the first year upon your arrival here, but by the second year you should be able to go hunting with coworkers. The first year or two may be the most expensive, since you will have to have some mode of transportation.

Bow hunting is allowed within the city limits (North Pole, Fairbanks), but for residents of Alaska, and after passing a F&G training class and bow proficiency.

Posts: 1103 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Theres lots of hunting around the Fairbanks area and if you move here you'll soon find out that driving 300 miles to hunt or fish is the norm. Theres Moose, Caribou, griz, black bear,sheep and all small game within driving distance from town. If you are military the first year you can hunt on military land without paying the big non-res fees. You will have no problem finding guys to hunt with no matter what shop you work in on base. The military community has a lot of anxious hunters looking for buddies to go out with. Guys will gladly walk you through the legal specifics when you get here.

Posts: 170 | Location: Interior Alaska | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can drive up the haul road to Deadhorse or Happy Valley. Access to the Brooks Range and great Dall's sheep. You'll need a bush flight in. Check around Fairbanks for air services. Hope you can find the funds. The Brooks Range is awesome.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote