Find
Notify
Tools

Brooks Range Moose and Bear
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted
I am going to be hunting Moose and Bear with a couple of friends starting September 14, 2007, until the 23rd, near Chandler Lake with David Bridges. Anyone have any insight to provide?

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
David Bridges you say? He's not from Ft. Yukon is he?

I lived a bit south of there for 3 years and you could have anything ranging from forest fires & smoke to rain & snow. Bugs can still be quite bad that late in the year...especially the black flies in the timber and the no-see'ums. Forget the OFF spray and just go with the 100% DEET (but don't get it on anything plastic or your mouth/eyes).

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
I don't know. I know he owns and electrical business in Fairbanks.

Yukon, I know you and i spend most of our time on the African Forum, but I was going to tell you, I hunted sheep in the Chugath's outside of Palmer with Rick Moran - flew out of the Palmer Airport in the Super Cub. I love that place.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not the same David.

Glad you had a good time in the Chugach. It's an awesome place that can inspire you or kill you depending on the circumstances.

Did you get a Dall with Rick?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
had an uncle that flew a DeHaviland Beaver for Wiens from Bettles to Chandalar Lake delivering mail in the early 60's. Tagged along with him on a trip and that was one fine lake, only a couple was living there at that time.

Your trip there should be a good one. Beautiful country! Keep us informed on how you do.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chandalar Lake is an interesting place. It holds some of the record low temps in AK. When it was -60 in Ft. Yukon it would usually be a little colder at that location...something about the terrain and elevation made it that way.

One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
Yes. We were getting weathered out and finally got this Sheep.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice sheep with a little flare. Did you post a report on that one?