New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mittens
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What brand of mittens would you suggest?? Surley someone makes a warm pair that are warm,waterproof,and windproof?? Leather or synthetic outer shell??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
These will do the trick for you.

http://www.raberglove.com/products09.html

I like leather. I tried these in Northern Ontario last February. I ordered them when I got home.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the military surplus ones, without the trigger finger option. With the standard quilted liner and a pair of lightweight fleece, or maybe Thinsulate, gloves underneath for when you need to use your fingers, I've been good to -50 below.

"Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Posts: 83 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too have the US military ECWS mitten system. I think the Raber's are a big step up from those.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
if you're going where it really get chilly i find that a thin pair of wool gloves under the mittens are a big big help

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
I have and really like Wiggy's products

http://www.wiggys.com/

Jim

fur, feathers, & meat in the freezersalute
"Pass it on to your kids"

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gloves just do njot seem to keep my hands warm when it is really cold.

So I use mittens.

However,I always wear a pair of fingerless wool gloves, under my mittens.

Also I wear the fingerless wool gloves when it is just a little cold or a little cold and wet and I do not need the mittens.

When I take the mittens off do "do something" the fingerless wool gloves still keep my hands pretty warm.

If I am under contitions where I cannot touch bare steel, then I wear a pair of very thin polypropolene full finger gloves under the fingerless wool gloves, and put all of that into the mittens.

Also the little hand and foot warmers work great. The ones you just open up and expose to air.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
me, I always carry a pair of the Athabaskan mitts made with tanned moose skin and tanned beaver skin/fur on the back and around the wrist area and lined with thinsulate or the like. In extreme cold 30* below or colder I wear a pair of wool liners in addition.....a very sturdy/warm mitts, by far better than any commercially made mitts. Both mitts have some color of yarn braided in a length that enables you to drape them down from the back your shoulders and when not in use twisted back on each other....totally ideal. Mitts are an important part of keeping warm and of late or in the past many yrs I've not seen anything better....spendy but worth it when winter conditions are critical.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not really sure about whats good for Alaska but I do climb ice on little ol Mt Washington in New Hampshire -- I use a funky glove from Marmot that is water proof and has a thumb and an index finger for dexterity but the rest of the fingers are a glove for warmth.

Second option I use is a heavy glove fleece liner and an outside shell from Outdoor Reasearch.

Both companies are top notch quality wise and I've used them in -30 F for overnite camping in winter.

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Hestra and Outdoor Research both make excellent gloves including mittens.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
another function of mittens is to wipe your running nose and it will freeze up and break off the mitten--usually fur for that.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grizz007:
me, I always carry a pair of the Athabaskan mitts made with tanned moose skin and tanned beaver skin/fur on the back and around the wrist area and lined with thinsulate or the like. In extreme cold 30* below or colder I wear a pair of wool liners in addition.....a very sturdy/warm mitts, by far better than any commercially made mitts. Both mitts have some color of yarn braided in a length that enables you to drape them down from the back your shoulders and when not in use twisted back on each other....totally ideal. Mitts are an important part of keeping warm and of late or in the past many yrs I've not seen anything better....spendy but worth it when winter conditions are critical.

. X 2 . However for working in the woods I wear leather Choppers with a wool glove liner for not too cold and a wool mitten ( rag wool )liner for working in 35 below cold ...... But thats because the mushers mitts , are too expensive and too warm for that kind of work , and I wouldn,t want to get bar oil , ect on a good pair of mushers mitts ......... Growing up in Maine leather choppers were all we wore with several pair of liner gloves or mittens ........ For dexterity and grip , I prefer the ones made from suede or from rough out leather ....

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wear a pair of military surplus mittens with a light weight, glove like liner. These come up to about 1/2 way to your elbow. In cold weather, you're gonna want a liner as it adds extra warmth plus flexibility to do miscellaneous things such as handling your dogs. These are the ones I use when I run my dog with my 4-wheeler. NO!!! I don't have a dog team. Couldn't handle one with all the hassles. Just have 1 sled dog I run w/ the 4-wheeler.
As mentioned above, you'll want a pair with fur on the back.
This is about the least expensive type you'll find and anything similar will cost more since many of them are custom made.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cold zero:

I like leather. I tried these in Northern Ontario last February. I ordered them when I got home.

Thanks, I'll give them a call tomorrow. They look toasty!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
grizz007, gumboot458 where can I find Athabaskan mitts for sale?? Or someone who makes them??

I appreciate all the replys, and advice. I already have the wool gloves,so I'm just gonna have to order the "choppers" Winkto try the combo out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxbear:
quote:
Originally posted by cold zero:

Thanks, I'll give them a call tomorrow. They look toasty!

Maxbear, your welcome. A polypro liner glove, or the like is of course a good idea. If you drop in hand warmers, it will not matter how cold it gets, you will still be warm. These are good for the wind and snow mobileing as well.

Cold Zero

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Another vote for very large leather chopper mitts with dense wool mitten liners. I like Dachsteins as they are boiled wool so dense, warm and water resistant.
A pair or two of cheap cottom work gloves or GI wool liner gloves in your pocket can come in handy when you need a little dexterity.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4206 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Phil, where have you been purchasing your Dachstein mitts?

edit: after much searching I came across this website, http://www.sweatersintl.com

the gloves look like something that wears good and is warm......good choice. will order a couple of pairs

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Ya , a 2nd request for where to get Daschtien mittens . I got a pair 20 some years ago and still have 1 because my hands won,t go in them any more and a sled dog ate the other one .( Imagine that )

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
www.eglifarm.com
www.wiggys.com

On hunt out of Gjoa Haven Nvt. I used the mittens by Egli with mitten covers by Weggys.
I cannot tell you how good the all Wiggys gear performs in bitter weather.

Elton Rambin
Mail/Ship: 1802 Horse Hollow Rd.
Barksdale, Texas 78828
Phone: 479 461 3656
Ranch: 830-234-4366
Check our Hunt & Class Schedule
at
www.ftwoutfitters.com

4 Rules of Gun Safety
1/ Treat all guns as though they are loaded.
2/ Never point the muzzle at anything you do not want to shoot.
3/ Do not put your finger on trigger until your sights are on target and you are ready to shoot.
4/ Be sure of your target and safe background.

Posts: 268 | Location: Western Arkansas/Barksdale,TX. USA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
see if this link works , I think I found Dachstein Mittens http://www.sweatersintl.com/store/woolmittens.html. It would be quite a trick finding Choppers large enough to go over the Dachstein Mittens ... But if you did would your hands be warm ..

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
yup , the link works .. dancing popcorn

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got some native made mitts made of coyote fur on the outside and woolen blanket material on the inside. I've only tested them to -35C but my hands were warm as toast. They are my go to mitt for cold weather bowhunting where I can't move around to keep warm. They won't be east to find though.

On the other hand if you want some wool mitts they are dead easy to make. Take your wifes best wool sweater or go to a goodwill store and buy a trashed sweater for a couple of bucks. Throw it in the washer on the hottest setting then dry on the hottest setting with some running shoes to pound it a bit. When the sweater comes out it's going to be nicely felted.

Cut out the shape you need for mitts and sew them together. Make everything extra big because you lose some size when turning them inside out. Don't worry about fraying because the felt won't fray like the sweater would have. I've been toying with painting my felted mitts with some PVC paint for water proofing.

the chef

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Chef , ; Your a rocket scientist ... Why didn,t I think of that .. You the MAN !!!! I happen to know the thrift shop here has quite a few wool sweaters ... Do you hand sew them or machine sew ???? PVC paint may be a little over the top don,t ya think ??? bewildered

One of Us
posted Hide Post
gummy, thru my web link I received my pair.....quick in shipping. a fine pair of mittens!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I received my "choppers" in the mail today. They would of been here sooner, but according to Weaver and Devore there was a problem with a barge trying to cross a river or something along those lines. Anyway,....what a nice pair of mittens. Horsehide leather. Everything is stiched up good and straight. Thanks cold zero, and everyone else for all the replys. I found what I was looking for.

Max

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad you found what you were looking for and will have warm hands. Mine are pretty swollem as I type this.

Can you post a photo or a link to what you purchased?

Be safe.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought them from Weaver and Devore trading co.

http://www.weaverdevore.ca/pro...14_16/products_id/78

How did your hands become swollen??

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxbear:

Those are the ones I recomended. I think you will be happy with them. I ordered them direct from the Manufacturer.

Happy New Year.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have also been using the military surplus mittens with the fur backing and quilted liner. I normally use a thinner synthetic glove on the inside so I have dexterity when needed and a little extra warmth.

Those mittens you all have posted look like a well made option for the price.

Posts: 51 | Location: Fort Richardson, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gumboot I handsew them but a machine would be lots faster. It's amazing what 1/4 inch of thick thick wool feels like on a cold day!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a Harley guy and bought a set of motorcycle mittens, the kind that the motorcycle cops wore in winter up in New York.

I have had them since 1963 and still use them. They have heavy gauntlets at the wrist and heavy glove leather for the mitten section. They hold full sheepskin liners.
The only wear I have detected in all those years was that the stiching that held the edging at the top of the gauntlet wore out and the edging fell off.
Bob Nisbet

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote