New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rec for best sheep hunting books
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What books are your favorites that deal with sheep hunting?

Posts: 10371 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ross:

I have some at home. I will pm you the names. If you want to read them, I will lend them to you. I have quite a few. Some are really good.

Posts: 12103 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dogcat I've enjoyed the following among many:
"Skyline Pursuits" by John H. Batten
"A Sheep Hunter's Diary" by Ronald S. Gabriel
Charles Sheldon's trilogy
"The Wilderness of the Upper Yukon"
"The Wilderness of Denali"
"The Wilderness of the North Pacific Coast Islands"

All well written by dedicated sheep hunters

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys!

Posts: 10371 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Duncan Gilcrest's books are always good but they're getting a little harder to find.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2813 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Dogcat,
I feel that this post is a little backwards as I've been thinking of asking you what sheep books you would recommend. You have a great set of reviews on this site.

Based on your recommendation I've ordered Song of the Summits. I haven't gotten it yet, but am looking forward to reading it.

I would add to the list Sheep and Sheep Hunting by O'Connor.

I recently read an interview with Gray Thornton of WSF and he recommended Campfire in the Canadian Rockies. It can be found online as a free download.

Thanks for the post. Someday I'll do more than just read the stories...

Posts: 6 | Location: NC | Registered: 07 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DP,
I just read Campfire in the Canadian Rockies by Hornaday. It is excellent. I will post a review in the near future. I really enjoyed that book. It is a "purist" type of book written by a naturalist at the turn of the century. It is excellent.

I have ordered O'Connor's book but have not read it.

I am in the midst of a sheep hunting book orgy. I have about 10 going right now and am enjoying them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:
Duncan Gilcrest's books are always good but they're getting a little harder to find.

Coug,
I have read one and am onto a couple more - right now, I am on "Journal of a High Country Hunter".

Thanks!

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:

Coug,
I have read one and am onto a couple more - right now, I am on "Journal of a High Country Hunter".

Thanks!

tu2

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2813 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote