New
Find
Notify
Tools

10 ga slug on big bear
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I understand discussions can get pretty messy on shotguns for defence on larger bear types.

But how about all the way to the 10ga federal 763 grain slug. Would it keep you alive, one in each barrel or a few in a big pump action?

Karl.

Posts: 3533 | Location: various | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Karl:
I understand discussions can get pretty messy on shotguns for defence on larger bear types.

But how about all the way to the 10ga federal 763 grain slug. Would it keep you alive, one in each barrel or a few in a big pump action?

Karl.

YUP!!!!!

Posts: 2357 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I have been using the Federal 10 guage slugs for over 20 years here in Ohio as we are a shotgun/slug only state. Having killed over 50 whitetails with this round I must say that I would NEVER use it on Brown or Grizzly Bear-- you would get et! The slug is of the old Foster design and expands to 1 1/2 inches in the chest cavity of a whitetail. I am not talking about it flattening on the shoulder. I am talking about a shot through the rib cage. Penetration is good because of the mass of the slug however the design is not one for use on big bear. I have used it on wild boar and black bear and it works acceptable. But you really need someone to step up and make a modern slug for the 10 if you want to use it on big bear. By the way-- I would suggest the Remington SP-10 as a better arm that the double. The gas system makes for less recoil and it holds 3 instead of two. I do have an Elbar double in 10 ga. -- I sawed it off at 20" and use it for Cowboy Action Shooting and home defense.

Posts: 5707 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a SP-10 ten gauge and have for years duck and goose hunting. It is an awesome weapon and has many applications, but in my opinion one is not in Brown Bear country with it alone. I duck and goose hunted in Alaska, with a rifle very close. I have also hunted and killed a 91/2 ft Brown Bear while on that same trip. I know what the Bear can do and I know what the ten guage can do and I want my .358 STA or something bigger in my hands if I am in Brown Bear country hunting anything. Yes, I think you could kill one with the ten guage, but I also know if you do not hit him right you could get in trouble for lack of penetration with the slug or any buckshot you could shoot. What makes the world really interesting is watching some supposedly smart people put themselves in a situation they cannot control because of an unproven theory. Famous last words of a red neck before dieing are "Watch es", followed by "Ah S--t". boohoo Good luck and good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2354 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a friend who always used his 12 ga with slugs as his tent gun for bears.He finally had to shoot a bear that charged him and his son.He had the wonderful slug,buckshot ,slug buckshot ,slug.They were charged by a good size black bear around 350 pounds.He shot the bear in the trail they were walking in about 20,15 and 10 yards away.He finally shot it at about 6 feet away and finally killed it.He got charged another time and didnt shoot.He then went to Anchorage and bought the first 458 that he could find.He shot qiute a few bears with it.I had a few bears try to get into my tent and I had my 338 win mag.I later bought a 416 Rem mag just for the extra insurance.You can never kill a bear too dead.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If your going to go to the trouble of carrying a heavy gun like a 10 or 12ga and shoot slugs in it.

You would be better off carrying a rifle of the same weight in a decent caliber. Both need to aimed to hit with.

Posts: 19432 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gents it sounds similar as if I was caught here hunting with a 10ga and the unlikly occurence of being harassed by a feral cattle bull.

The 10ga is not the most ideal thing to be stuck with at the time, but at least better than throwing your hat at it.

Karl.

Posts: 3533 | Location: various | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote