Find
Notify
Tools

Float planes
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of KC Carlin
posted
I was looking at a Mountain goat hunt and noticed that the float plane charge for a round trip fight that is roughly 200+ miles one way was $1350.00 per person.

Does this price seem to be reasonable?

Thanks, KC

Posts: 295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The plane will be in the air about 4 hours. If there are two passengers, that's about $675 per hour. Maybe slightly high, but I'm a little out of touch. I'm sure you'll get more informed answers.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
If the plane is a Beaver then that is about the going price. One 206 operator in King Salmon charges that much for a C-206 on wheels.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
While only a wannabe pilot/aircraft owner, I have always had great interest in float/bush planes.

I found This Site That gives some very interesting information on the cost of flying the DHC-2 Beaver. Includes some great pictures.

"Hourly fuel cost times 3 determines hourly operating cost. Example: DHC-2 Beaver - 25 gallons per hour times $4 per gallon times 3 equals $300 per hour."

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KC Carlin:
I was looking at a Mountain goat hunt and noticed that the float plane charge for a round trip fight that is roughly 200+ miles one way was $1350.00 per person.

Does this price seem to be reasonable?

Thanks, KC

Remember that is 2 round trip flights for the plane & pilot Wink

Posts: 2357 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I've pencled it out many times over the last 24 years of being a plane owner and flying in the bush.

My supercub combined maintaninence and todays fuel cost run me over $100.00 per hour.

Two round trip 200 mile runs (800 Miles total) would cost me about $1200.00.

135 operators arn't getting rich off guy's like you. I'm not one of them but if I were I wouldn't do it for the price they quoted.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
The hull insurance on float planes is also so high, many operators don't carry anything but liability insurance. That means they're self insured for any damage to the aircraft.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
That price sounds very reasonable to me since yor paying for a total of 800 miles of flying, though your only flying half that distance.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I read an article recently that claimed every surving Beaver had been crashed and re-built at least once. Big Grin I was surprised to see one doing harbour excursions in Hamburg in 2004.
Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote