Notify
Tools

caribou hunting
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
whats the best rifle to use on caribou

remember the 2% rule you must be 2% smarter then what you are trying to do

Posts: 85 | Location: Kotzebue, Alaska | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
how about a .270 to .300 mag, shooting 140-180 gr. premium bullets, weatherproof-stainless steel and composite stock with a scope in the 2.5-8x, 3-9x, 3-10x range.

kills caribou dead. good luck. Wink

Cold Zero

one of us
posted Hide Post
Troy

Any good deer rifle will work but when you hunt caribou you are always in brown bear country. To my way of thinking an '06 is minimum with a good controlled expansion bullet. I personally have killed more caribou with a 338 than anything else and I felt pretty confident that it would get me out of a yam if need be.

You got some good advise from Cold Zero too. The stainless/synthetic route is the way to go. You also do not need a monster scope. It is very seldom that you can not get within a couple hundred yards of a caribou so a meduim power variable is perfect.

Regards,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cold Zero,
I couldnt of answered that any better than you just did. My thoughs exactly. I am headed to area 13 and taking my 300 win, my son has a 30-06, and my wife her new Kimber 7mm/08. Last time we were there my wife shot an enormous bull with one shot from her Rem 600 rebarreled to .243 improved shooting a 90 gr Barnes soft point at 175 yards. The bull dropped instantly.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote