New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alaska drawing permit strategies
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi guys. I am an Alaskan resident and have put in intermittantly for drawing permits over the years (since about 1991) without success. According to ADF&G this is a totally random drawing (no bonus points like in some other states). I am interested in putting in for Kodiak brown bear permit. I looked on ADF&G's website and there are harvest reports which specify how many permits, how many hunters,and what success for each drawing hunt. There are also figures for drawing success, that is how many applicants and how many permits which yields a percentage (sometimes miniscule i.e. hundreds of applicants for 3 or so permits). Anyway I've looked at some Kodiak Brown Bear hunts with >25% hunting success and matched them with hunts with >10% drawing success. Am I better to go with hunts with high permit numbers or high success rate? Am I on the right track to narrow this down, or on a wild goose chase? Any feedback appreciated. Thanks, Paul.

Posts: 46 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It took me 9 years to draw a Kodiak permit (Sturgeon River spring 1984) then had a long, dry spell til I got several permits for a few years running, now nothing for two years. The only 'strategy' used by a friend that seems to get drawn more than most is to apply on the last day. Good luck!

Posts: 179 | Location: South of Anchorage | Registered: 21 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No strategy. Just apply and hope for the best!

Posts: 384 | Location: Tok, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I think you are correct. I did apply for 3 Kodiak BB hunts and few more other species. I looked through a lot of info on ADFG website and spoke to a biologist at the kodiak office. I chose hunts that seemed to combine some chance of drawing success with hunter success based on historical information available on the site. I also stayed away from hunts that required a land access fee (Afognak Isl.) Don't forget the deadline is only a few days away 12-17. Thanks again. Paul

Posts: 46 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul W:
I think you may be missing out on an opportunity by not applying for Afognak permits. Have you ever hunted/been there?
While never having hunted for bear, my partner & I have been there for elk. True, a large portion of the island is in native holdings requiring a fee BUT, the last I knew, the western 1/3 or so of the island was open with no tresspass fees required. The Malina Lakes area north up to Blue Fox Bay was open.
We hunted for elk 3 times and ran into/saw bears every time. The last time resulted in a real "pucker factor" situation.
I think I'd re-evaluate my position on Afognak by checking with Fish & Feathers or perhaps call Andrew Air Service for info on areas on the island that don't require a trespass fee. If it were me, I try for Afognak but then again, we're familiar with the area. BTW, the Malina Lakes area is open country with few if any trees nearby. I think that anyone going to Afognak should come home with a bear. There's no such thing as a "little bear".
Good luck.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OR fly out to Unit 17 and shoot two bears without any draw.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul
You coming back up for your washed out Sheep hunt.
I should be there from the 8 or 10 of August
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote