New
Find
Notify
Tools

.308 200 grain Speer Hot Cor
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Have any of you fellows used this bullet on large game? If so, could you give the cartridge you used it in and the results?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had great results with hotcores in various rifles and game. the 200gr in your 308 should work great for any game.

Posts: 509 | Location: Flathead county Montana | Registered: 28 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Let me also add the 190 Hornady BTSP--Specifically looking for how these heavier standard bullets may perform on large heavy game.

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I have used the 200 gr. speer a lot over the years.

My first expiriance from a 30-06 was poor because the bullets failed to open up good enough on the deer I was shooting with them down on Kodiak.

I had'nt used them much in several years for that reason but when I worked up a load for my latest .300 Win mag I wanted a bullet with a thick jacket incase I need the rifle for a bear.

I found the 200 gr. speer shot well out of the rifle and when I tried it on a deer the added velocity of the .300 made this bullet preform very well.
I shot my last deer with this bullet at nearly 300 yards and still had proper expantion. On the other hand I don't doubt that they would hold together well at close range on bigger game like elk, moose or brwn bear.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not trying to hijack this post but can someone explain the difference between Speer's Grand Slam and their Hot-Core bullet if any.

Steve

Posts: 847 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The old Grand Slams had a two-part core--soft in the front and hard in the rear. The new ones have a single core hot cor with a protected point.

The traditional Hot Cor has always been a single core poured (hot) into a tapered jacket with an exposed spitzer lead tip.

one of us
posted Hide Post
AK,
What would you estimate your impact velocity to have been at 300 yards--or what was your muzzle velocity?

Be interesting to know how they might work on a big brownie.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve, the hot core is speer's traditional cc bullet. Instead of using a swaged core like other cc bullets, it's core is poured in with molten lead, hence--hot core. Even so, it's not a bonded bullet.
The GS is a controlled expansion bullet and speer's "answer" to the nosler partition. The jacket is thicker in the base and fluted in the nose to both retain weight and promote expansion. The core is made of 2 different types of lead. The rear section contains a lead w/ more antimony to help retain it's shape and is "held" in position w/ a fold of jacket material. The front part is softer, again to promote expansion. The gs also cost a good bit more.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought the new Grand Slams now only use a singular core rather than the older design of the two part core. The Speer website does not mention a two-part design either any more.