Find
Notify
Tools

.45 ACP for protection from bear
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
MVR

I wear my 44 in the Desantis holster in the crossdraw position just ot the left of the belt buckle,[I am right handed].

In this position I have access to the revolver when sitting, wearing a pack, or in foul weather.

I wear an outer garment that covers up the gun/holster. I either leave the bottom button or two undone or just un zip up the two way zipper a few inches, depending on which coat I am wearing.

I have never had my gun/holster get wet.

While I would rather use a rifle to to an agressive bear, a rifle is jkust about worthless for bear "protection".

You just cannot have it in your hands all the time. And if a bear does knock you down then again your rifle is worthless.

A powerful handgun gives you a chance.

Also there are other dangers out there besided the bear, some four legged, some two.

A 4" 44 Mag can be handy to have for several "missions".

Including to shooting grouse, etc for the pot.

If you do not want to buy a 44, take the 45ACP.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have always had a soft spot in my heart for handguns but in a practical sense,they have very limited usefulness in the bush.

Keep a proper rifle handy.

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I'm not going to comment on the main gist of the query here, it is not my place to tell someone what they should or should not carry.

However, if the choice is made to bring a 44 mag revolver I'd choose the SW over the Ruger as a backup weapon.

The Smith is a lot lighter and also thinner. If you are using this as a backup and not a primary gun it will be a lot less hassle, to the point that you may decide to bring the smith with you on a trip to the outhouse or somewhere that the ruger might not make. Keep a couple of speedloaders with your +P ammo, and have some lighter 180 grain loads that you shoot out of it. I'd find a pleasant load and have that be my main loading for this gun, and sight it in with those loads. When you are using it for protection it will be close so it won't matter anyway. Anyway, when you are carrying it for protection just keep the +P loads in it, but only shoot them when you have to and use the smaller loads for everything else.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you're on a guided hunt,the handgun will be excess baggage.

Famous last words. "The guide will take care of me".

Posts: 297 | Location: Bainbridge Island,WA | Registered: 07 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think I'd carry a .45 acp 'cause I can shoot it good enough to blow my brains out and save all that pain the enraged bear is about to inflict upon me! Heck just remember you don't have to out run the bear, just the guide.

Swift, Silent, & Friendly

Posts: 426 | Location: Nevada | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote