New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coastal goat hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Been thinking about a coastal goat hunt.
Always considered them a underrated trophy. That being said age has crept up on me and a traditional goat hunt is not realistic.
I have been told Parker is a good choice for such a hunt. When the goats are driven down to perhaps a more accessible area by weather and the rut.
That being said I take nothing for granted and will work to get into the best shape possible for a 65-66 yr old.
I hear all sorts of stories on how tough they are to anchor? I know many stories are embellished. Have shot cape buffalo and big bears with little drama.
Thinking about going somewhat old school with a light weight 270 winchester pushing 130 nosler partitions at 3200 FPS.
I have the means in the gun safe to go bigger.
Is it really necessary?

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Shot an ibex in the mountains at a few hundred meters with a .270 a few years ago.
No issues at all. Great caliber.

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2258 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Better have deep pockets for Bruce Parker. That being said you'll never have a better hunt. My friend guides for him and they have a high success rate. The boat you stay on is high class and food is 5 star. I"ve harvested 2 goats and recommend a .338. 130 grain bullet in my opinion is to small. They are formidable to anchor. I shot mine with a .358 Norma in the shoulder and he bailed over the cliff . Luckily there was a big ledge and died there. Anchored my other goat with .338 and she never flinched a muscle after the shot. You don't want them tumbling and destroying that nice cape or breaking a horn. Bigger is better on the coastal hunts do to the terrain.

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://www.glacierguidesinc.com

If you have any questions about their outfit, I'd be happy to help.

Posts: 102 | Registered: 02 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well,
I no longer have to pinch pennies regarding guiding servies.. I have 338's and 340's.
Can go that route. Shoot both well.
I just like going light.
Have heard from a number of folks saying the same as the goats are difficult for DRT's.
My son built a 7Lb 300 Win Mag sheep gun I might borrow.

EZ

One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
Your 270 will do just fine, I took mine with a 243, one shot through the lungs.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Yup A .270 is more than enough, just hit them in the right place.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2794 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
EZ,

I sent you a PM. As for the rifle I agree your 270 will work but I think the big bullet guys have a point also. If possible it would be good to smash the front shoulders for a DRT. If your goat tumbles down slope or jumps down and dies in an inaccessible spot your in trouble. Also if your not doing the steep climbing hunt the rifle weight is irrelevant.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12864 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not hunted the coastal mts of alaska for goats.Seen plenty of pictures and heard the stories, it does not appear to be a walk n the park. I've killed goats n B C , 2 in Idaho, 3 in MT and 1 on kodiak island. By far the less physical was Kodiak , Im your age, and its harder to get in shape and stay there. I would go with the heavy bullet and gun to match it. Good Luck and " Don't let the Old Man In "

Posts: 370 | Location: northcentral mt | Registered: 25 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is always more difficult than you think. You got the right!
I actually investigated the Kodiak option where you fly into a high lake and hunt around the lake but it appears that is primarily target toward Alaska state residents
When it gets time primarily focus on bird hunting I will know and enjoy that more then.
I have come to find out in my years of hunting is how to prepare for a hunt. Ask a lot of questions. Now I put as much on flexibility as cardio. Yoga, pilates. My body is not naturally as flexible as it was even 20 years ago.
My son has Dall sheep booked in Alaska in 2023. He is on this mountain tough program. I may join him. He said it has different levels but pretty tough and he is 34 yrs old.

Thank for the insight gentlemen.
EZ

quote:
Originally posted by hvrhunter:
I have not hunted the coastal mts of alaska for goats.Seen plenty of pictures and heard the stories, it does not appear to be a walk n the park. I've killed goats n B C , 2 in Idaho, 3 in MT and 1 on kodiak island. By far the less physical was Kodiak , Im your age, and its harder to get in shape and stay there. I would go with the heavy bullet and gun to match it. Good Luck and " Don't let the Old Man In "

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was about your age a few years ago when I took a big winter goat with Bob Milligan in BC (Milligan Outfitting). I’ve hunted goats elsewhere and feel your best opportunity may be someone like him who specializes in winter hunts when snowfall pushes the goats down lower. He was also SCI’s NA Outfitter of the Year recently. Feel free to PM with questions. Good luck!

One of Us
Picture of Jim in Katy
posted Hide Post
I hunted with Bruce Parker for mountain Goat and had a great time. The boat is very nice and the food is great. You will more than likely get your goat. Highly Recommend

Posts: 38 | Location: Katy, Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you happen to be at the DSC Show, come visit us at booth 2112 and come talk goat hunting!

Posts: 102 | Registered: 02 September 2015Reply With Quote