Find
Notify
Tools

Looking Forward To Caribou
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted
The ground is freezing, and snow is on the way. In a few weeks I'll be cruising around on my snowmachine. I need to build a sled though, so I can transport gas, camping equipment and such. I am really looking forward to getting up into the mountains and see if I can catch some of those reindeer/caribou mix. Limit is five. I just acquired a beautiful all matching Gew in 8x57, a 1917 DWM rifle. I think I will take that out first. Then the 9x57mm Guild (I have real Kynoch ammo for it too), then the 8x60S Guild. Or maybe the Persian. The choices are killing me.Smiler

I am at a total loss as to which rifle I should take when I go on a trip to the coast though. That is going to be a long slog. I don't have any "lightweight" rifles.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
I had a two drillings in 9x57R, one a double rifle the other a "normal" drilling. Is your Kynoch original? If so, you might want to save it.

I bought 8x57R and necked it up with a 35Whelen neck expander ball, you can do the same with 8x57J or JS brass, its a peice of cake.

My bore diameter was .356 and the barrels were mighty thin, so I bought Hawk .356 250 grain bullets.

Awefully slow out of the muzzle (2100 - 2300 fps) but hit like a big hammer. Dropped an antelope, some deer and a cow elk with it.

If I had my choice it would have to be the 8x60S, awesome round that should be more popular. Flatter shooting that your 9 or 8x57.

Sounds way too fun, thanks for making me jealous

Posts: 1066 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Well...sorry 'bout that but...Smiler

I bought two 10-round packs Kynoch, and one 10-round pack of DWM, original soft-nosed ammo, 245 grain I think. Too lazy to go check.

I used cerro-safe and cast a slug that I rammed down the bore of my 9x57 with a hardwood dowl, it measures exactly 0.358" in the grooves.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote