THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Alaska Caribou hunting in 2007 . . .

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alaska Caribou hunting in 2007 . . .
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted
Can anyone recommend a guide/outfit for two California folks who are looking to hunt Caribou in 2007?

Thanks in advance for any response . . .

-eric

" . . . a gun is better worn and with bloom off---So is a saddle---People too by God." -EH

Posts: 952 | Location: Bakersfield, California | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
Are you wanting to have a guide, or are you wanting to do a "do it yourself" drop hunt? Is budget a priority?

If you are going to carry a big stick, you've got to whack someone with it at least every once in while.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redlander:
Are you wanting to have a guide, or are you wanting to do a "do it yourself" drop hunt? Is budget a priority?

Guided, but not crazy on price (does such a thing exist? Wink )

-eric

" . . . a gun is better worn and with bloom off---So is a saddle---People too by God." -EH

Posts: 952 | Location: Bakersfield, California | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
Never been there or done that, ... but I'm going this September. I've chosen Papa Bear Adventures out of Bethel, AK, but I'm pretty sure they are a transporter only. I chose this outfit because of some good things I'd heard on the Alaska Outdoors Directory Hunting Forum and because, at the time, there was going to be 3 of us in a group and Papa Bear had a bigger float plane. If I knew then that one of the guys was going to drop out, as he has, I'd probably have picked Renfro's Alaskan Adventures. They do both drop-off hunts and guided hunts. They also use smaller planes with tundra tires so they can get where a lot of float plane outfitters can't.

Be advised that prices have risen a bunch since last year because of the gas/oil prices. The best time to start securing your spot will be this next November/December as some of the better outfitters book up almost a year ahead of time.

This is going to be my first, of many I hope, "grand adventure" and I'm already getting excited. A few more items to get ($$$ Eeker), but I'm mostly there.

Have fun planning - I have.

If you are going to carry a big stick, you've got to whack someone with it at least every once in while.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redlander:
Never been there or done that, ... but I'm going this September. I've chosen Papa Bear Adventures out of Bethel, AK, but I'm pretty sure they are a transporter only. I chose this outfit because of some good things I'd heard on the Alaska Outdoors Directory Hunting Forum and because, at the time, there was going to be 3 of us in a group and Papa Bear had a bigger float plane. If I knew then that one of the guys was going to drop out, as he has, I'd probably have picked Renfro's Alaskan Adventures. They do both drop-off hunts and guided hunts. They also use smaller planes with tundra tires so they can get where a lot of float plane outfitters can't.

Be advised that prices have risen a bunch since last year because of the gas/oil prices. The best time to start securing your spot will be this next November/December as some of the better outfitters book up almost a year ahead of time.

This is going to be my first, of many I hope, "grand adventure" and I'm already getting excited. A few more items to get ($$$ Eeker), but I'm mostly there.

Have fun planning - I have.

Thanks for the info. I wouldn’t mind doing a drop hunt myself, but the guy I'm most likely going with is 20-some-odd-years older than me (I'm 38) and I'm not sure that he's up to doing such a hunt.

-eric

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Teat Hound
You must be very carfull choosing your guide for caribou. I would not recomend anyone hunting from the lake Iliamna area. It was once a caribou paridise and I enjoyed many years and many large trophie's from there but those day's are gone and their are still a few outfitters selling hunts there on past glory.

I think Redlander is probably going at it the best by flying in from the north at least for those who are after what's left of the mulchatna heard.

There are still good numbers between the lower mulchatna and nushigak rivers but the trophy quality is terrible.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Northman56751
posted Hide Post
Are you looking for a big trophy, or just a good hunt?
I went unguided several years ago in the Southwest region of Alaska (Ugashik/Becharof Lake area)on a moose/caribou hunt. Took some really nice bulls (1 of the 2 made B&C).
Back then, this area was known for big bulls. Think it still is. Not sure if this is a 2 caribou limit or not though.
Becharof Lodge i know had trips back then (guided). Il ooked at their website and it looks like it hasn't been updated in awhile, but worth a shot.
Noticed Cabela's had some good hunts too(trophy hunt in the penninsula).

Brett Mattson
www.hosted-hunts.com
E-mail: brett@hosted-hunts.com
Cell: 218-452-0774
Life Member NRA

Posts: 258 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Teat Hound? What the hell kind of name is that? I love it!

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cobrad:
Teat Hound? What the hell kind of name is that? I love it!

Cool

-eric

One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
Teat Hound listen to Redlander!

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
I did a self guided hunt to the Arctic circle. I went out of Bettles Alaska with Brooks Range Aviation. We had to bring everything we needed to survive. No trees to burn and no fire wood. Rough living but all three of us got great Caribou. Cost from home and back a little under $5000. The bush plain was the biggest expense.

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alaska Bush Man
posted Hide Post
I too suggest you do not need a guide for caribou, fly into Fairbanks rent a veh....bring your light camping gear and good walking boots and head north above Cold Foot and on the other side of the pass start hunt.....remember 5 mile in before you can shoot off the pipeline.....doesn't take long to get your caribou during Aug.

Jeff
North Pole, Alaska

Red Team 98

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want to go guided, I'd also suggest renfro's outfit. very ethical and gets pretty decent critters also

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sourdough
posted Hide Post
I know a guide that has been written about in several outdoor magazines. All the articles I read were very positive about his abilities and services. He is a member of the local Game Advisory Commitee, and I know him from there. He and his son guide in differant areas of the state. If you are interested his name is Virgil Umphenour, get with me at "roggieh@yahoo.com" and I will give you his phone number.

Gun Control means Hitting your target

Posts: 30 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sourdough
posted Hide Post
I'll see Virgil wednesday night and I will ask him what he has for Caribou. I do know he is wanting to get some of the permits for unit 20-A just south of Fairbanks. There is some Boone and Crockett size animals there. The other two guides that guide in that area I would not recommend, I seen some of the results of their services.

Posts: 30 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sourdough
posted Hide Post
In the event that you want to do a drop off hunt let me know. I can give you the info about the area I talked about.

One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
Hey Sourdough, I'll shoot you an email. Thanks for the help.

-eric

One of Us
Picture of Sourdough
posted Hide Post
Check your e-mail. Rog

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Sourdough
Iv'e been trying to get hold of Virgle all winter but I don't have contact info for him.
Could you pm me his phone # or other contact info
Thanks

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to recommend CARIBOU UNLIMITED located in Soldotna Alaska. They are an air charter
that specificly focus on Caribou. I have friends that fly out with them each year and they have all good to say. Price is good and they check and haul meat out as well as if you aren't right where you want to be they will pick you up and put you down again so your not
looking at the herds passing several miles away.
I could not find them on the web. Maybe someone reading this knows of them and will give you the phone number.

Neal