Find
Notify
Tools

Brown Bear Packing List
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted
I have had some requests for this packing list and it occured to me that with all the expertise on this forum it would be good to just post it and ask for others suggestions on how to improve upon it. Thanks.

BROWN BEAR PACKING LIST

The following is based upon a 10 day hunt out of a spike camp where limited backpacking is required. It assumes the outfitter will supply the food, cooking gear and tent.

This list is arranged in the way that I pack it for the plane ride to Alaska. Once in Alaska I unpack and rearrange it.

Where brand names are listed it is only for the purpose of indicating the quality level. There are no doubt other manufacturers that can be substituted. Alaska can find the flaws quickly in shoddy gear.

None of this gear will do much good if you are not in shape. Bear hunting is usually in hilly areas and can be strenuous - especially on a push to get up to a bear.

IN TUFF PAK:

Rifle in Koplin ribbed soft case with bolt removed but tied in Crown Royal whisky sack to the trigger guard. I leave the scope covers and sling on the rifle.

Ankle fit hip boots with 20 rounds of boxed ammo in the toe of each boot (40 rounds total). The hip boots have insoles added. Note: I only wear the ankle fit hip boots while hunting. I used to carry leather hunting boots but never wore them so now I leave them at home.

If you are absolutely sure you won't need hip boots then your waterproof hunting boots or Rubber knee highs (Xtra Tufs)with Danner hard plastic arch supports have been suggested. These could be worn when no deep stream crossings are anticipated and they would be a lot more comfortable than the hip boots.

Rubber boot goop repair for boots

Folding knife

First aid kit with nail clippers, prescription drugs, new skin liquid bandage, aspirin etc.

Metal coffee cup and metal �spork�

Leatherman tool

Mini-Mag flashlight with 2 sets of new batteries

Petzel headlamp with 2 sets of new batteries

Sleeping bag (rated to 15 degrees or lower) stuffed around rifle case for padding

Inflatable sleeping pad (I roll up a jacket for a pillow)

Shooting sticks or bipod

Rifle repair kit including bore snake, star torque wrench and allen wrench for scope removal, an extra firing pin and trigger group along with the tools to install them.

6 nails for hangers in camp

10 wooden clothes pins (drying clothes on line)

50 feet of parachute cord

Rifle rain guard from Kifaru

10 inches of black electrical tape to tape over the muzzle of the rifle to keep out rain, snow and mud. I put this on after sighting in the rifle at the base camp.

Leupold lens pen

20 round cartridge carrier that slips on my belt

Firestarter device (Coghlan's fire starter), candle and disposable butane lighter. Not sure the butane lighter can be carried on planes though. You may have to purchase that after you land.

Emergency Strobe light or Personal locater beacon (PLB). Note: if the guide is carrying one of these or a Sat. phone or radio that may be enough if the area you hunt in has good reception. You will nearly always be with your guide.

Emergency Bivy bag

Space blanket - Large red and silver one

IN KIFARU LONGHUNTER BACKPACK:

Whatever backpack you choose needs to fit you well if you are hiking very far.

(Note: In addition to the clothing below I will be wearing 1 set of clothing on the way to the camp. The following is what is in the pack)

8 pair of Thermax briefs from Cabelas

8 pair of Thermax liner socks from Cabelas

3 pair of Thorlo socks medium weight

1 pair of Thorlo winter weight socks

1 pair of Thorlo light weight socks

1 pair of waterproof divers socks - neoprene or military goretex booties

2 pair of long underwear - 1 light and 1 warm - both polypro

2 shirts with big pockets - one is camo and one is tan color (also wearing one)

2 tee shirts - tan

1 long sleeve tee shirt - camo

2 pair of rip stop pants with zipper pockets - both are olive drab color (also wearing one) or Carhart carpenters pants have been suggested. These are reportedly quiet when walking through brush which could be very important.

1 pair of fleece pants

1 fleece vest - camo

1 fleece jacket - olive drab

1 Gore Tex Jacket with hood and zipper pockets

Helly Hansen Impertech rain jacket and pants with suspenders. As an alternate to the HH pants I have also taken a pair of Grundeons and cut off the bottom legs below the knees. These will easily pull over the ankle fit hip boots.

Camp shoes (I like the waterproof moccasin slippers from LL Bean)

Lightweight ball cap - tan

Wool stocking cap - camo - it can be pulled down into a face mask also.

1 bandana

1 pair light cloth camo gloves

1 pair insulated light leather gloves

1 pair waterproof neoprene gloves

Extra pair of insoles for hip boots - the ones in the boots will get wet from sweat or rain

Ankle sprain elastic wraps for each ankle

1 pair garters for holding down pant legs inside of boots

2 handkerchiefs

Backpackers washcloth and Backpackers towel

Travel toothbrush, toothpaste and dental floss

Small metal mirror

Eyedrops - 1.5 fl. oz. bottle

1 tube of chapstick or lip balm

25 cough drops - Halls

Pump bottle insect repellent with 100 percent Deet

SPF 30 sunscreen

Dr. Scholl�s foot powder to sprinkle in your boots each day

Small bottle of medicated powder

Moleskin

Hikers paks of toilet paper in plastic zip lock bags

8 small packages of Kleenex

12 packages of Baby wipes or Wet Ones

Small bottle of hand lotion

Needle and thread

Patching kit for boots and raingear

Alarm clock

Extra pair of sunglasses ( I will also be wearing one pair) and spare glasses with repair kit if you wear them

Water purifier bottle with pump (Giardia is common in steams)

Two 20 oz. unbreakable water bottles for drinking water (I use GatorAide bottles)

Stuff sacks for dirty clothes (or 6 large plastic garbage bags)

Waterproof duffle bag - a light bag that can seal at the top

6 large zip lock bags for carrying extra socks etc.

Lens cleaning fluid and lens cloth for glasses, binoculars and scope

1/4 roll of camo duct tape (Note you can put duct tape on your heels to lessen blisters)

Compass

1 book

Small (shirt pocket size) spiral notebook for journal and retractable pen or two

Assorted hard candy for those long hours of waiting and watching - enough for guide too

Sack of peanuts in the shell

Small stainless thermos for tea and soup

IN CROOKED HORN DAY PACK:

Note I use this for a carry-on during the flight and use it to carry gifts back to the family on the return trip.

Camera with 12 rolls of film in zip lock bags or Digital camera.

10x40 Zeiss binoculars with Crooked Horn chest strap

Leica Rangefinder - LRF 1200

Extra scope with scope covers (mine are set up with Talley QD rings) This scope matches the one on the rifle and is sighted in the same as that one. My 375 doesn't have iron sights. If it did I would not carry an extra scope.

Spare set of travel clothing for return trip that I leave in Anchorage or base camp

Plane tickets and misc. travel papers

Business cards

In Anchorage I usually slip a bottle of Crown in the day pack hoping for a reason for a celebration. I also take a couple of Cohibas for the celebration or for the sorry day that I return without a bear.

IN NECK POUCH:

I carry money, checks, drivers license, pilots license or other ID and credit cards in a zippered neck strap pouch under my shirt. I usually stash a couple hundred bucks of emergency money in the Tuff Pak left with the Air Taxi company just in case the other is lost.

Organization of it all:

The main reasons I pack it like the above is for the distribution of the weight during the flight and to protect the rifle, cameras, binoculars etc. The above results in two checked bags that are under the weight limit and one carry on bag with the breakables in it.

When I get the baggage off in Anchorage or Kodiak, the carry on pack straps onto the backpack and I roll the Tuff Pak (wish it had bigger wheels). Thus while in the city I just wear the backpack and pull the Tuff Pak.

At the motel at Anchorage or Kodiak I repack everything for the bush plane ride. Put the stuff that stays such as the travel clothes etc into the Tuff Pak and lock it up. The Air Taxi company will usually store it until you get back.

Everything else ends up in the backpack and daypack. I carry the rifle in the soft case during the bush plane ride. Then when I get to base camp I leave the soft case and a spare set of clothes in a plastic garbage bag and set out for the spike camp without any case for the rifle.

If hiking very far I leave part of the stuff (such as a change of clothes and some of the bullets) hanging in a tree or stashed about half way to the spike camp. If I need them, I can hike back.

If I ever get lucky I expect to carry the skull and part of the guides gear because he will be packing the bear skin so the backpack needs some type of freighter device.

[ 11-15-2003, 18:26: Message edited by: Palmer ]

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Palmer,

Interesting packing list...let me say right up front that being from the UK I know zero about bear hunting or the equipment required, but I have spent a fair amount of time in the infantry so understand the concept of spike camps quite well.

Do you carry an emergency/survival kit? I would recommend at least one of those orange heavy duty plastic bivvy bags as they can be real life savers if you are caught out away from your camp.

Another bit of kit which is excellent in an emergency is a small strobe..If anything happens you can set your bivvy bag up in a real sheltered place out of the weather as much as possible, but leave the strobe in plain sight somewhere near by..they are worth their weight in gold in an emergency. Although a proper SAR strobe is by far the best thing as it is both incrediblably bright and waterproof, those multi led torches with a flashing function will work at a pinch....

One thing that puzzled me is that you carry both a goretex jacket and a Helly Hansen Impertech rain jacket????

regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Pete,
Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to add them to the list. I especially like the suggestion of the strobe and am going to buy one before I go in May. There always seem to be airplanes overhead and I bet a strobe would get their attention.

The bivy is also a good idea. Even in my limited experience there was one hike back to the spike camp that arrived after dark (I think it was about 2 a.m.)

You are right about the duplication of the raingear jacket and the goretex one. There has to be some way to eliminate one of them. The reason I carry both is that the Helly is hot when climbing hills and the gore-tex is not waterproof enough. There have been a couple of times I have had them both on.

<HBH>
posted
Palmer,

Looks like a good list to me. I have seen the Rain guard case mentioned before on another fellas Alaskan list, and wondering how and when you use this item.

Many Thanks

HBH

one of us
Picture of Gator1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palmer:
Pete,
You are right about the duplication of the raingear jacket and the goretex one. There has to be some way to eliminate one of them. The reason I carry both is that the Helly is hot when climbing hills and the gore-tex is not waterproof enough. There have been a couple of times I have had them both on.

Palmer, I know the feeling. I got a coat from SWAZI in New Zealand last winter that has GoreTex Extreme and a brushed outer of some kind. We had a bit af rain here the first part of the week, 5" in 9 hours, and I was out in it and the coat for the whole time and except for some sweating in the armpits I stayed dry inside. Much dryer than I would have from my Helly Hansen because of the sweating. It also has the best hood I have ever seen. It is tough and has alot of pockets.

I will wear this coat as a windstopper and rain jacket anywhere and leave the rubber at home. They have pants also that should work as well but maybe later as this coat cover the top or hip boots and is long enough to sit on if you are careful.

Posts: 2753 | Location: Climbing the Mountains of Liberal BS. | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One change I would make is the mini-mag flashlight. I have used mini-mags for years and have had them let me down several times from broken bulbs. The last few years I have been using the LED lights and they are much better. They are not as bright but MUCH more durable and the batteries last much longer.

Posts: 594 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Palmer,

In some respects, even better than the plastic bivvie bags are the goretex one such as is issued to the US military. They are a little more bulky than a plastic ones, but are more versitile. When ever I go camping I carry one as a supplimentry waterproof/windproof sleeping bag cover.So not only can you use it in an emergency, but you can also use it as insurrance against your tent springing a leak.

I know what you mean about the problems assosiated with waterproofs. In certain tactical sitations we were not permitted to wear waterproofs as they were considered noisy, just our showerproofed ordinary cotton combat jackets. One solution i found that worked well was a "Bufflo" pertex/pile jacket underneath. Although the outer combat jacket often got soaked through despite the showerproof coating, it was very rare that any damp got through the pertex jacket underneath. I am not sure why this worked so well as pertex is windproof but not waterproof.Apparently it spreads the moisture out over a large area and allows your body heat to drive it out?? Anyways it worked and was breathable too... Now, I think a pertex/pile jacket would perhaps be too warm for hiking up mountains but you can get pertex "shirts" which are in fact more like smocks. They take up no room at all and are light and breathable..I would think that perhaps one of those under your goretex jacket might add to its weatherproofness enough to make it viable on its own?

Regards,

Pete

[ 10-24-2003, 23:35: Message edited by: Pete E ]

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Palmer,

Take a look at Buffalo Clothing at the link below:

http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/index.htm

They started producing serious cold weather clothing for the use by soldiers not satisfied with issue clothing. I don't see the exact garments I had and its possible they do a seperate militry range although all the ones shown are available in NATO green.

Also take a look at Arktis site for similar hi tech clothing. I have used this stuff as well and it is excellent quality. In particular I ahve just bought a Stowaway Shirt which would also be an alternative to a pertex and add weatherproofing to your goretex jacket and it only weighs 150grams

http://www.arktisltd.co.uk/sharpshooter/midlayers.htm

Regards,

Pete

[ 10-25-2003, 02:38: Message edited by: Pete E ]

one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
HBH
I use the rifle rain guard mostly when its snowing. It is very light and slips on and off almost instantly. You can stuff it into a pocket and it weighs almost nothing.

PETE
Thanks for the Buffalo website information. You might just have hit on the right combination.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Palmer: I only scanned your list so perhaps I'm off on something. I've hunted the Kodiak/Afognak areas a number of times so here are a couple of suggestions. First, I hate hip boots!!! My suggestion would be to take a pair of rubber knee-highs along with your hip boots & camp shoes ( a good idea by the way). If possible, I'd hunt in the knee highs. I've never been in a situation where I had to hunt with hip boots on. Also, I'd seriously advise you to get a good set of arch supports for whichever type of boot you choose to wear. They'll make all the difference. I use supports made of hard plastic by Danner. Also, be certain you take a tube of rubber boot goop. If you put a hole in your boots & can't repair them, you're really screwed. Boot goop works very well & dries fast.
For hunting pants, I wear Carhart carpenter's pants over a pair of long johns. They are quiet & make very little noise in the bushes. Also, didn't notice what you listed for gloves but I'd get a pair of lightly insulated leather ones. These are mainly for protecting your hands from the devils club but I don't wear them all the time because I can't effectively shoot with them on. Hope some of this helps. Bear in Fairbanks

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Bear
Now thats a great idea about taking a pair of knee highs with arch supports. I agree that hip boots are miserable most of the time and the knee highs would definately be worth carrying.

I also am going to change the list to specify insulated leather gloves rather than just insulated ones. The devils club and even the Salmon berry bushes can both penetrate the cloth ones.

I havent tried the Carharts but am going to look into them tonite at the local Lowes store.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Running shoes?

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Running shoes?
Remington Shooter? [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
A couple of items you don't want to leave home without

Moleskin....for blisters
Snow goggles skier type or at least a good wrap around eye protection

military gortex booties in the event your feet get wet just change socks and put them over

Medicated powdwer
lip balm
new skin....liquid bandage
scraf

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Thanks Raamw
The list has been edited with your suggestions except "scraf". I dont know what that is - What is it?

posted Hide Post
Since you are talking about knee-high rubber boots, may I suggest the XtraTuf boot? Also known as Ketchikan, Wrangell, Sitka or Petersburg sneakers. The tread on them is superior in my opinion to anything else except maybe calks for gripping the ground, slippery rocks etc. For repair I use the neoprene wet suit repair stuff. It is spendy but holds better than Shoe Goo or Goop in my opinion. Be sure to insert some felt insoles to cushion your feet.

Living and working in SE Alaska I realize that I am going to get wet regardless of if I wear rubber raingear or Goretex. The rubber at least keeps me warm and it is a whole lot cheaper than the fancy stuff. I have used "Rainskins" for years now, and it seems to hold up well. It is also fairly light.

My day pack for work has Coghlan's fire starter, candles, matches in a match safe and disposable butane lighter, Acme Thunderer whistle, 50' of parachute cord, Case sheath knife w/ 3.75" blade, Ezelap diamond sharpener, pocket first aid kit w/ moleskin, Coghlan's Nylon repair tape and a small eyeglass repair kit, all in a small ditty bag in the side pocket.

Then I have a Silva Ranger compass, a handfull of Wash'nDri towelettes, bug dope, Minolta 8x21 binoculars, Leatherman tool, lip balm, mechanical pecnil and a couple of granola bars in the front pocket. The other side pocket is reserved for the water bottle.

Inside the pack I have my rain gear, leather gloves, a space blanket (the large type, red and silver, not the little emergency pieces of junk), a small sewing kit (needles, safety pins, a couple of spools of thread in a small ditty bag), and lunch. Depending on conditions I will carry a stainless Thermos of tea or a couple of small cans of tomato juice to warm up in the lunch fire. An extra pair of socks in a Ziplock bag is nice to have if the feet get wet.

Most of these items stay in the pack year-round. The matches and such get replaced as they get used. I have it all in a LL Bean "Continental" pack. The space blanket is handy for a clean surface to lay meat on when boning out a deer. It is also very nice when out in snow and one needs a place to sit.

Okay, I've rambled on enough. Hope this helps someone.

-Kees-

Posts: 8 | Location: Southeast Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
I have only fished AK, but if was dropped off by plane in the middle of Nowhere, AK, I would really really want a 406 MHz PLB (Personal Locator Beacon)

http://equipped.org/plb_legal.htm

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Thanks Duckear and Kees. The list has been edited with your ideas.

posted Hide Post
"I have only fished AK, but if was dropped off by plane in the middle of Nowhere, AK, I would really really want a 406 MHz PLB (Personal Locator Beacon)"

For the sake of discussion, I would leave that out. It is extra weight, and my personal feeling is that if I got myself into a bad situation it is up to me to get myself out. A topo map and the knowledge of how to use it to get back to the camp or pick up spot would be more useful. On the other hand, I do see that an ELT would help find the body and relieve the wife if something went terribly wrong...

Cheers,
-Kees-

Posts: 8 | Location: Southeast Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kees:

For the sake of discussion, I would leave that out. It is extra weight, and my personal feeling is that if I got myself into a bad situation it is up to me to get myself out. ...

You have a valid point. A while back I was reading essentially the same argument in a book on sailing. Some plan on getting themselves out of any mess they may get in (think of Captain Blighe's crossing in an open boat after being set adrift by mutineers). Others want the coasties, or whomever, to come bail them out. But, most people want ot be rescued if TSHTF.

A 406 beacon broadcasts you GPS cooridinates and rescue is just a helicopter away (assuming good weather). I lived in Colorado and saw way too much money wasted in SAR for idiots. [Mad] I hate to think how much the military and the state of Alaska spends each year on SAR efforts. A quick rescue is "cheap". Somebody has to pay to find both the unfortunate as well as the stupid. A 406 PLB makes it less expensive.

I would LIKE to be self-reliant, but as a vistor to Alaska, I am not going to fool myself in thinking I would just "walk out" if I got lost/injured/stranded! After my brief visit, the vastness is what impressed me most about Alaska. I confess, I want some Chinook from Wainwright to come bail my @ss out of the situation I may find myself in! [Big Grin]

As a resident you have a different perspective about what you need and don't need and I would never dare to tell you what you need to do. But for the vast majority from the lower 48, I think a PLB is a wise choice.

[ 11-10-2003, 22:11: Message edited by: Duckear ]

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
"A quick rescue is "cheap". Somebody has to pay to find both the unfortunate as well as the stupid. A 406 PLB makes it less expensive."

Point well made! The family would report it if my sorry butt were overdue. Our State Troopers here on the Island won't start SAR though until at least 24 hours have passed, since they have so much experience with people being reported overdue and walking out in the middle of a search for them.

Was the sailing book by chance by the Pardeys? I really enjoy their books. They sure give one something to dream about!

-Kees-

one of us
posted Hide Post
"For the sake of discussion, I would leave that out. It is extra weight, and my personal feeling is that if I got myself into a bad situation it is up to me to get myself out."

That's bad advice. Don't do it. If you've got it, take it.

I got shot up in VietNam. I got helicopered out of Hell cause somebody else had a radio.

Just a few years ago I got shot in the head by my "buddy" while hunting. I got helicoptered out cause it (fortunately) happened just 2 miles from a radio-phone.

You never know when disaster will strike. Take the ELB. When you'll need it, it will be worth life itself.

Posts: 130 | Location: Palmer, AK | Registered: 10 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of stuntpilot2
posted Hide Post
It's been nearly 4 years since the the last post to this outstanding thread. At the risk of being labeled "necromancer", I'm wondering if there is anything to be added to this well thought out list.

Posts: 214 | Location: Texas | Registered: 24 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And did Palmer ever get a bear?

Posts: 409 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Palmer got a very nice boar and was an absolute pleasure to hunt with. He posted great photos here shortly after his hunt.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4203 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Thanks Phil - my best wishes to Rocky and Taj.

Actually that old list could use some updating.

For one thing the weight of it all would never be allowed on todays flights. It needs trimmed down a lot and I am having to do just that as I pack today for a caribou hunt.

Most likely there is some more up to date equipment as well - pocket digital cameras instead of SLR with film etc.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please update the list as I am headed to Canada next fall.

Also, BillC put together a great list on his hunt report for Dall sheep last year.

Posts: 10371 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
dogcat,
I will work on it but hope others will chime in also. With just 3 BB hunts I am still an amateur.

There are a lot of guides out there that know far more than I.

Meanwhile I leave for a caribou hunt tomorrow so it will be a couple weeks before I get back to it.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman