New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tell me about 16B MORE INFO....
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Friend of a friend is cancelling out of a Brown Bear/Black Bear/Wolf hunt and is trying to sell his hunt (wife's pregnant and I know he can't afford it now)..

I don't have the dates or details for the outfitter...

But should I look into this any further?

Wondering of B. Bear size availibity etc...

Thanks for any info...

Dan

EDITED TO ADD;

Talaheim lodge/Mark Miller is the outfitter.

Looks like it's really inland grizzly to me,not brown bear.Expecting 8' bears with an occasional 9'.But he offers a 2 bear area,hense adding a black or second grizzly....Sept. hunt...

Any comments?

Dan

Posts: 285 | Location: Red Hook,NY | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
everything you don't have, we need to know to tell you anything.
heres a general...
some big bears, some good outfitters, some little bears, some bad outfitters lots of brush, timing is everything, bears are there.
get some more info and the guys in here will be more helpful.

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fair enough..

The guy with the hunt's a bit of a flake:

If chances were the area totally sucked I was going to let it die...But since you seem to think there are some good opportunities I'll work on more info....

Thanks

Dan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
if its a good deal, i'd look into it ya, find out some dates and names and we'll be able to tell you alot more detailed info!

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've edited my original post...

Thanks for any help

Dan

One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
Only thing I can add is there are LOTS of bears in unit 16B, both black and grizz. You should not have a problem getting either or both.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dan,

My cabin is in 16B on the Yentna River about 3 miles below the mouth of the Skwentna. This game management unit has one major drawback in that it is easily accessible by river and bush plane to the Anchorage and Mat/Su resident hunters. That doesn't mean you won't have a quality hunt in this area, just more likely to see other hunting camps and more air traffic. On the other hand, seeing that your hunt is in Sept. and there is no moose hunting in 16B (tier 2 only) you may find yourself completely alone.

One really good thing about 16B is the bears. There are a lot of them. Both black and brown and the brown bears arn't that small either. Not as big as Kodiak or Peninsula bears on average but some damn fine bears come out of 16B. Just look on the cover of the 08 hunting regs, that big fella came out of 16B.

Sept is a good time to catch them in berry patches, they should be moving away from the rivers by then. The Tal and the upper Skwentna and Hayes may still have enough fish to hold them on the rivers but that depends on the run.

Bring a fly rod with you too. The Talachulitna River is one of the best fishing streams in the state. Sept. I'm thinking rainbows and dollies.

What are you planning to spend on this hunt? It should be a good bit less than a peninsula or Kodiak hunt as its not considered a premier brown bear area.

Steve

Posts: 182 | Location: On the Yentna River, Ak. | Registered: 23 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yentna River sending PM...

Dan