Find
Notify
Tools

Sheep and goat rifle?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Any rifle chambered for cartridges from 25-06 to 375 H&H that wears a scope in the 6-14 power range, and weighs between 5-9 lbs. That gives a bunch of options. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Well said ..

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Remington KS in 300 Win Mag that I took my mountain goat. Neal Bauder, formerly of Wasilla put a moly coat on the metal effectively water proofing the rifle. Kicks like a mule, which is good reinforcement for making sure of that the first shot counts. It is pleasantly light weight for packing, but anything and everything gets to heavy going up mountain.

Tim

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EDMHUNTER:
I have searched this topic and have seen many different opinions. When hunting is the light weight rifle a must? I have read that they are hard to shoot after climbing and being out of breath. I have a .300 win mag that is 9.2 Lbs, would this be burden or a blessing? I have no problem with getting a lightweight rifle but I am confused if it would actually help or not.

Light weight is subjective and during the early years when I was guiding sheep hunters I thought nothing of carrying my M-70 .375 H&H for the entire forty days of the season.
Today, thirty years later, I would choose something lighter in the 6 1/2 to 7 pound range and know that on some of the long steep climbs I would wish for something even lighter.

Light rifles carry easier and are not all that difficult to hit with when using a rest.
Heavier rifles for most folks not in shape seem to get heavier as the hunt goes on but are a little easier to hit with.

It's you hunt - take the rifle you want. Unless it it strictly a backpack hunt it isn't worth worrying about.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4197 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have found that light rifles, fired from some sort of rest, with a tight hasty sling, will shoot very good.

But you MUST zero the rifle using the hasty sling.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
.458 I did the same as you 30 years ago. I carried a 10 pound .375 for everything. I killed a ram and 2 billys with that rifle.
It shure was amazing how light my mod 70 fetherwight felt after all those years hunting only with the .375.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I am brand new to AK, but have already been contemplating what rifle I will use for sheep and goat. Currently I am planning on using my Sauer 202 synthetic in 270 Win, or my Weatherby Fibermark in 300 WBY. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get a Strata (your choice of caliber) from Lex at Rifles Inc. They are a pure joy to carry and shoot! As many have said, if Lex builds it, it WILL shoot! My 338 RUM should be done in 6 weeks or so and should weigh in around 6 lbs. You will not miss a heavy rifle ever!

Posts: 297 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zambeziman
posted Hide Post
Staying light is important I have used a 270 WM for sheep and goat hunting! This is a very good long range caliber!

I would also suggest a fiber type stock in what ever you end up with, because you may end up using the butt end of the rifle to help in climbing up or down the mountain!

Good luck.

John

Posts: 77 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sheep aren't that tough and a light weight rifle will be appreciated after the first 2 hours of the hunt on foot. IMO I believe that a 7mm08 or a 7x57 mauser along with the 25-06 are premium sheep calibers and you can get them in the 6+ lb range.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Kimber 8400 Montana in .300wsm or .325wsm. would probably be the litest nicest thing going from a factory rifle. If you want to throw down for a custom then there are companies making VERY nice rifles in the $2,500-$4,000 area.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
I got a Ruger Ultra Light in 06 a while ago for my wife . It had the canoe paddle stock and was very nice to pack around . I got rid of it because it had a headspace problem and replaced it with the Compact in 308 which she prefer .. However an Ultra Light in 270 Win ,stainless synthetic would be hard to beat if it was accurate ...
. As the going on most sheep and goat mountains is pretty tough. I think some kind of muzzle protector would be pretty handy to have ... I think more rifles get tore up sheep and goat hunting than any other thing I,ve seen up here .. . If tape then a bunch of layers .. More like a good stout small leather boot to be removed before the shot and replaced for the pack out .. It could be taped on ...... Sure would be better than some of the wrecked barrels I,ve seen at some gun smiths .

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett Adam Barringer:
Kimber 8400 Montana in .300wsm or .325wsm. would probably be the litest nicest thing going from a factory rifle. If you want to throw down for a custom then there are companies making VERY nice rifles in the $2,500-$4,000 area.

Brett

Two other factory options. Sako Finnlight's are under 6 1/2 lbs. Weatherby Ultra Lightweight are 5 3/4 lbs. Both are around $1400.

Posts: 551 | Location: utah | Registered: 17 December 2007Reply With Quote