THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Camo color for White Mountain in early Sept

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Camo color for White Mountain in early Sept
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted
I've got a grizzly bear bow hunt near White Mountain in early Sept.

Any tips on camo would be greatly appreciated - as I'd rather the bear did not see me! Smiler

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
He'll still smell you!

~Ann

Posts: 19234 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Spent a few years in that area. Think flat dark tan, green (going fast in Sept), and red. I used to wear tan or brown pants and a dark burgundy/wine colored jacket that time of the year.

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

"PS. To add a bit of Pappasonian philosophy: this single barrel stuff is just a passing fad. Bolt actions and single shots will fade away as did disco, the hula hoop, and bell-bottomed pants. Doubles will rule the world!"

Posts: 812 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
Ask your guide. He should have a preference.

Lots of folks like the Sitka camo.

Dave

Posts: 921 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think just about any camo would do fine.
I would recommend pants with built in knee pads also.
The 4 things a must for hunting Alaska
1 a good walking stick
2.a good sleeping bag pad
3 knee pads
4 the best waterproof boots you can afford
These are much more important than the type of camo you may choose.
Have fun
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
He'll still smell you!

You sayin' I'm a stinky old man? Smiler

Don_G

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
My guide - Tom Gray - does not know the name of any camo. I think that like many Alaskans he thinks camo is for dudes - although he has not exactly said that. He just says it'll be reds, greens and yellows that time of year.

I'm going to look around for some anyway. It really sounds like maybe German military camo would be a good match.

Don_G

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don G
Your guide will probably be wearing jeans that he has had on for 2 months a rock concert Tee shirt, a Blue ski Jacket, Jordon High Top Sneakers and top it off with a NRA ball cap.
I think some of these old time guides just laugh them self to sleep when they see these hunters coming in to camp with price tags dangling from ther High Dollar clothes.
Have fun and shoot straight.
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
I'm just guessing, but I'd think the cover'd be heavy enough you'll be able to run an intercept on a wandering bear completely out of sight until the shot so camo won't be to big a deal.

FWIW its still raining here and may well be when you arrive so rain gear you can hunt well in may be more important.

I personally wear camo for waterfowl hunting and thats all.

Posts: 9215 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
I've got good rain gear, and will bring it - thanks.

For bowhunting I don't want the bear to know where I am even after the arrow. That's why I think some reasonable camo is a good thing. It'd ruin the whole trip for me if a backup shot becomes necessary.

For black bear I don't bother with camo, but there's something about a grizzly that gets my attention!

Don_G

one of us
posted Hide Post
Try Kryptek camo.

Posts: 859 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don_G:
..... He just says it'll be reds, greens and yellows that time of year.

I'm going to look around for some anyway. It really sounds like maybe German military camo would be a good match.

Have a look at the dutch camo.

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2081 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why not try a ghillie suit over your rain gear?

~Ann

Posts: 19234 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Are you talking a home-made one, or purchased?

I have a leaf-camo commercial ghillie in a fairly light pattern that I figure is worth taking, but I was hoping to get something that was a closer match.

Here's Lorinyo wearing a similar set. Note that it's a bit light for the mountain, but might work on the Tundra.

Don_G

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think just about any camo would do fine.
I would recommend pants with built in knee pads also.
The 4 things a must for hunting Alaska
1 a good walking stick
2.a good sleeping bag pad
3 knee pads
4 the best waterproof boots you can afford

Knee pads? Larry, I think most people "take care" of their guide with cash instead. :-)

Posts: 20139 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go with self made. Add some vegetation from the area once you commence the hunt.

~Ann

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Don't sweat the camo - but do sweat the rain gear. If you have a good set, then bring a lightweight backup set.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
2 sets of rain gear?

Can I ask why? And why lightweight set?

Not trying to be a smartass. I seriously want to know where you are coming from.

I've been using the same set for years without a problem.

Don_G

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Tears or holes obviously. If you've been using the same set for years as you say I'd definately bring a back up.

I've been in circumstances where you're as wet inside as out and that includes the inside of the rain gear. In that case, having the stowed away set of dry clothes, boots and rain gear means you can instantly get warm and get back to hunting. The wet stuff may never dry 'til you get home and thats miserable.

Posts: 9215 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
OK, That makes sense.

Don_G

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
What Scott said! Wink

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Green or Tussock color Swazi rain gear. You will end up wearing it even if it's not raining. Camo adds nothing unless it just makes you more confident. Good Luck.

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Wow, I just looked up Swazi. That is some expensive gear.

Thanks for the advice, but I think I'll stick with the two sets of Goretex rain gear I already own (one camo, one not.) I may regret it, but I almost never need it here at home - even though I carry it on every hunt.

Don_G

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ah, just what I pictured for you!

~Ann

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Ann,

Alaska might be the only place I could stand that much stuff on me.

But you know it'd make shooting a bow impossible.

Threw my knee out last night. Don't even know how! Hope it improves quickly, to say the least.

Don

Don_G

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Biebs:
Normally I get a chuckle from your dry wit. However, when I read your "knee pad" post I nearly wet myself I was laughing so hard.

From now on I will wear some Depends prior to reading your words of wisdom.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal
If you think what he post is something spend a month with him hunting.
Your turn.
We will both be in Alaska next month
I will be with Tom Shankster
Biebs with Phil Shoemaker
We are getting together after the hunt in Anchorage then heading to Homer for a day or 2 of fishing.
Larry

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Larry:
I'll be back from caribou in the arctic about the 6th of September. I live 100 miles north and you're welcome up for a visit and shoot a double or two if you wish. Or, perhaps I can swing down to the big city.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote